Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 858415 times)

Africa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #60 on: June 04, 2011, 05:28:43 pm »

Speaking strictly probabilistically, I have a 17% chance of being raped in the United States.

Nitpick: What does that number mean? In your lifetime? In a year? In a certain defined period of time?
Quote from: Cthulhu
It's like using hobos to fight an eating-resistant baloney epidemic.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 04, 2011, 05:29:39 pm »

Ah, sure:

1/6 of the women currently alive in the United States have been raped.  Sorry that wasn't clearer for you.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Africa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 04, 2011, 05:30:58 pm »

I always heard 1 in 4. Both seem extremely high...where did you get the stats from?

Or maybe the 1 in 4 was "sexually assualted" which is more believable (though still seems high to my gut instinct) but then you also have the question of definition.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 04, 2011, 05:33:45 pm »

That's just... what??

I know it's unlikely and probably doesn't apply to this case, but... what if, in some case, the "victims" are actually in on it too?  I mean, get a rich man to run over your partner, get him to settle it out of court and give him the money back later... bam, perfect murder.

Although I guess that's part of the wider issue which was missed which is that the people who died were victims as well as their families.  I mean... otherwise, using this logic, if I kill someone with no family then it's a victimless crime and I should get off completely free.  Heck, if I kill a whole family then it's a victimless crime again, and I shouldn't have to be punished at all.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 04, 2011, 05:34:18 pm »

I always heard 1 in 4. Both seem extremely high...where did you get the stats from?

Various statistics, as found and cited in the Wikipedia article.

Most feminist blogs cite 1/6, so far as I know, with fairly heavy agreement; in any case, here you are.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Africa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 04, 2011, 05:36:37 pm »

Most feminist blogs cite 1/6, so far as I know, with fairly heavy agreement; in any case, here you are.

That's completely insane. I can only assume that the lack of people I know having been raped (AFAIK) is made up for by an even more insane rate among people I don't know. Which is even more insane, even when you consider that a lot of people I don't know live in poor and shitty areas and so on.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 04, 2011, 05:37:11 pm »

Oh wikipedia's your source? Well then, you know for a fact it's a lie. [/stupidteacherargument]

Sorry, just had to get that out of my system.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 04, 2011, 05:38:49 pm »

It depends, the definition for "sexually assaulted" can sometimes be broad enough to put in 'If I had a nickel for every time...' territory. It's really important to figure out where they get their facts from (police cases? surveys? is it firsthand?) and how broad their definition is.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #68 on: June 04, 2011, 05:41:26 pm »

When I saw this, my first thought was "Can we make this mandatory for all males at say, age 15?"  :o
:O

I'm just waiting for Simmura to read this. It's like Vector and the Gentleman topic a while back. It's just a dumbass thing to say.
So very late, but what? Why me?

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 04, 2011, 05:42:28 pm »

When I saw this, my first thought was "Can we make this mandatory for all males at say, age 15?"  :o
:O

I'm just waiting for Simmura to read this. It's like Vector and the Gentleman topic a while back. It's just a dumbass thing to say.
So very late, but what? Why me?
Are you not the one who kept parading how whatever it was shouldn't be made mandatory a while back?
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #70 on: June 04, 2011, 05:43:23 pm »

Um. No, not that I recall.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 04, 2011, 05:43:33 pm »

...Now that you link that, the rape definition seems extremely leaky.  Specifically:
(a) Rape.— Any person subject to this chapter who causes another person of any age to engage in a sexual act by—

(5) administering to another person by force or threat of force, or without the knowledge or permission of that person, a drug, intoxicant, or other similar substance and thereby substantially impairs the ability of that other person to appraise or control conduct
This would seem to imply that having sex with someone unable to give consent due to drugs is only rape if you yourself gave them that drug.  If they are, say, drunk and you have sex with them, that isn't rape.  Same applies to the unconsciousness clause (if you find an unconscious person in the street and have sex with them, it's not rape according to this definition)...

This... is actually pretty goddamn important, I think.  I seriously hope that all states have some kind of patch for this blind spot, and if not, I hope there's some kind of campaign to change this.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 04, 2011, 05:44:41 pm »

Oh wikipedia's your source? Well then, you know for a fact it's a lie. [/stupidteacherargument]

Sorry, just had to get that out of my system.

Well, yes, it might be a good idea to actually back a claim up with something more than an open-edited, possibly dubiously researched website. Check the cited sources for firsthand information, that's why they are there. If you turn in a wikipedia entry as a source you might as well draw a webcomic and cite yourself as an expert. If you can't do any more research than that you deserve an F.

Just getting that out of my system.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 04, 2011, 05:44:57 pm »

It doesn't really matter what the statistics on sexual assault and rape are, whatever it is it's still way too damn high and there are a lot of concepts surrounding it that make it more difficult to deal with than it already is.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 04, 2011, 05:46:16 pm »

...Now that you link that, the rape definition seems extremely leaky.  Specifically:
(a) Rape.— Any person subject to this chapter who causes another person of any age to engage in a sexual act by—

(5) administering to another person by force or threat of force, or without the knowledge or permission of that person, a drug, intoxicant, or other similar substance and thereby substantially impairs the ability of that other person to appraise or control conduct
This would seem to imply that having sex with someone unable to give consent due to drugs is only rape if you yourself gave them that drug.  If they are, say, drunk and you have sex with them, that isn't rape.  Same applies to the unconsciousness clause (if you find an unconscious person in the street and have sex with them, it's not rape according to this definition)...

This... is actually pretty goddamn important, I think.  I seriously hope that all states have some kind of patch for this blind spot, and if not, I hope there's some kind of campaign to change this.
It's like that, methinks, so there aren't more rape charges where someone was just drunk and has buyer's remorse. As for them being completely unconscious in the first place, I'm pretty sure that's not legal regardless.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 852