Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 858345 times)

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2011, 04:13:29 pm »

I know I know, Poe's Law, but you could have won every thread like this every if you included a footnote there saying that you were actually Stephen Colbert. I am humbled by your opinions. Do you really believe all that?

Yes, though I'm not usually that vocal about it. It's not stupidity, it's that people are creating problems for no reason.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2011, 04:14:18 pm »

Ummm... Angle? No. He said 10, not two. That would mean no kids until 25. I was born to parents who were only 28, my older brother 25.

And this procedure shouldn't be available at all to anyone under 18, since the rest are minors. Parents don't get to decided when their kids become parents.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2011, 04:19:06 pm »

whoop- my mistake. and yes, mandatory ten year sterilization seems like a bad idea, especially if you don't let the kids themselves choose to opt out.

I think it should be available, but only if the kids are the ones making the decisions.

ggamer:

Yes, though I'm not usually that vocal about it. It's not stupidity, it's that people are creating problems for no reason.

No reason? I think they have plenty of reason. It's a sad fact that "Making a big deal out of things" seems to be the only way for oppressed people to escape oppression. If they hadn't made a big deal out of things, they never would have gotten anywhere. We'd still have laws criminalizing homosexuality, we'd still have jim crow laws, wed still have rampant discrimination.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 04:29:45 pm by Angle »

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2011, 04:31:49 pm »

"Can we make this mandatory for all males at say, age 15?"  :o
Government Enforced Sterilization? Are you serious?
Make it like sex ed where parents can elect to exclude their kids from it. The option is there for parents that just don't care and are surprised that their kids had a baby, but for parents and kids who have their own plans it can be evaded.
After all, the actual individual's opinion doesn't matter. They're just stupid 15 year olds who don't get to object to being sterilized in an involuntary and definately painful medical procedure because they have no rights. Really.

*sigh* I did say "first thought". I.e. knee-jerk reaction before being moderated by rational inner discourse. Since that seems to be lost on a disturbingly large number of people let me clarify that no, I am not seriously advocating for government forced sterilization programs. OTOH, consider the fact that a whole lot of guys between the ages of 18-25 probably would be better off without the ability to procreate.

In the same vein, when I hear of a white trash mom with five kids who's already a horrible mother endangering the welfare of her children, who loses custody of said children and gets knocked up AGAIN, my first reaction is "Damn! Can somebody please tie that woman's tubes?" That is not my FINAL reaction but it is certainly one that comes into my mind.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2011, 04:34:28 pm »

Make it like sex ed where parents can elect to exclude their kids from it. The option is there for parents that just don't care and are surprised that their kids had a baby, but for parents and kids who have their own plans it can be evaded.
After all, the actual individual's opinion doesn't matter. They're just stupid 15 year olds who don't get to object to being sterilized in an involuntary and definately painful medical procedure because they have no rights. Really.
I would just like to clarify that when I said "Parents can elect" I meant the sex ed thing. A temporary sterilization program like this would require the signature of the kid.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2011, 04:53:12 pm »

Spoiler: OPINIONS, MOTHER FUCKER

Put yourself in the shoes of the other side : what if you had to change states to marry because the gay majority doesn't like baptists? If you knew you'd have less chance to find a job than a black guy because you're white?

On Christianity, do yourself a favor and stop taking old testament literally. We have a frigging picture of the times just after the big bang (I refer to the cosmological background). That and you're supposed to go to hell for wearing mixed fabrics and eating shells and lobsters.
That apply to the gay thing too btw.

On the abortion thing, if I understand you well you're against abortion after the second trimester, except under specials circumstances? (Such as rape or endangering the mother's life?) Then I sorry to disclose it to you but your opinion, may be,... sit down, I know it won't be easy for you, but... PROGRESSIVE. There it's said.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2011, 05:01:01 pm »

On Christianity

Just man... Not the thread for it.
I DON'T WANT TO FUCKING DEBATE WITH YOU OVER THE FOUNDATION OF MY BELIEFS.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2011, 05:03:09 pm »

And then ggamer got a three-day mute.
Shoes...

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2011, 05:03:51 pm »

God dammit, this shit pisses me off. I'm going to spoiler my opinions so that I don't cause a ROYAL FUCKING PANIC by not being arch-liberal.

A panic for no reason?

When I can be sure to make as much as a man with the same education, capability, and talent--rather than 20% less--we can talk.

Speaking strictly probabilistically, I have a 17% chance of being raped in the United States.

When gay people the world over do not risk persecution, death, and sub-citizen status--then we will talk.

When people of color are adequately represented in media as people, rather than being continued to be treated like savage animals, objects of fear and hatred, or of fetishistic desire--yeah, let's have a chitchat.

When mental illness is no longer seen as automatic grounds for the dismissal of an argument, you may have a leg to stand on.

But for now, you seem to have mistaken the title of this thread for "GGamer's Flaming Wad of Soapbox Morals Thread."  This is my thread.  Curb yourself and treat me with respect, and treat the people you share this thread with respectfully.  You're making a fool of yourself.

Also, I have not had sexual relations with my mother.  This is a notice to curb your language.

On Christianity, do yourself a favor and stop taking old testament literally. We have a frigging picture of the times just after the big bang (I refer to the cosmological background). That and you're supposed to go to hell for wearing mixed fabrics and eating shells and lobsters.

Though I thank you for helping out in general, this is not a thread for religious debate at all.  Please take it outside the thread, possibly to PMs.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 04, 2011, 05:09:08 pm »

Why the FUCK do these issues have to be such a FUCKING HUGE DEAL.
I'd say this is a staggeringly arrogant viewpoint, personally.  It's basically I'M RIGHT AND ANYONE WHO DISAGREES IS STUPID FOR NOT SEEING THAT.  Unless you're saying we should all be chill about these issues since they don't matter too much, but I'm not sure if CONSTANT CAPS LOCK is the way to get that message across.

Going through the actual content point by point...
- Gay rights... uh... why shouldn't they be allowed to "flout their homosexuality"?  I mean, if someone arbitrarily didn't like something you do, would you be ok with not doing it for their sake?
- Abortion... what exactly is so special about the second trimester that makes fetuses "SMALL CHILDREN"?  And if you "DON'T GIVE A FUCK IF YOU HAVE TO HAVE A CHILD YOU DON'T WANT", then shouldn't you also not give a fuck about whether they have an abortion?  Even if this isn't the case, why exactly should what you give a fuck about dictate what other people are allowed to do?
- Prayer time... praying isn't banned in schools, is it?  I mean, it's a silent, discreet act.  Interesting fact: prayer time is actually technically mandatory in England, but noone does it because it's clearly a waste of time and believers can pray on their own time rather than the school's.  EDIT: I mean that enforced prayer time is a waste of time, not the prayer itself, which you can determine the value of yourself.
- Evolution... I'm not even sure what to say about this one.  "THAT DOESN'T MEAN WE ALL CAME FROM FUCKING MONKEYS YOU STUPID FUCKTARDS" seems like a ridiculously inflammatory view born from... what?  There's evidence to show that we evolved from primate-like creatures and have shared ancestry with monkeys (although remember this doesn't imply that we evolved from monkeys - monkeys evolved from the same common ancestor as us, is the idea) and if you don't believe that, that's fine.  But why call anyone who does look at the evidence and decide that we evolved from monkeys "STUPID FUCKTARDS"?
- Racism... just seems to be incoherent, nondirectional anger.  You seem to be annoyed that people of other ethnicities have reclaimed a word that was once a racist slur... well, what's wrong with that?  I mean, might it not be the case that discrimination still exists...?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 05:11:37 pm by Leafsnail »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 04, 2011, 05:13:52 pm »

I am going to add that "I don't give a fuck if you have to have a child you don't want" puts women down to the level of baby-incubators again.  As usual.

And, if you are wondering why the issues have to be such a big deal:

Why are you making such a big deal about your position on them?  Shouldn't we have a right to make our voices heard just as loudly as yours?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Aequor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2011, 05:14:11 pm »

Why the FUCK do these issues have to be such a FUCKING HUGE DEAL.

For gay rights, I'm a SOUTHERN BAPTIST, and FRANKLY, I would rather not have gay men FLOUTING THEIR HOMOSEXUALITY WHEREVER THEY FUCKING GO. I don't care if you're gay, I could care WAY FUCKING LESS if you want rights, because YOU ALREADY HAVE THE RIGHT TO MARRY. MOVE TO FUCKING CALIFORNIA. I LET YOU FUCKERS GET MARRIED, OKAY, DON'T FUCK WITH ME.
Cute. So if two gays want to get married they have to move? This is one step away from saying 'what? Blacks want rights? WELL THEY CAN MOVE TO AFRICA THEN.'

Heterosexuality is flouted everywhere, you can't escape it on TV, on radio, in advertisement, stories, anytime you go out you're bound to see some heterosexual display. To argue that gays are 'flouting their homosexuality' is just pathetically ridiculous. Don't even try to pretend that gays, lesbians, bisexuals and transgenders have the same rights as heterosexuals. Don't. Even. Try.

You can't argue LGBTs have the same rights as heteros when shit like this can legally happen. When murderers can use the fact that their victim was LGBT as a fucking defense in court. When children are disowned by their parents and shunned by their communities for not adhering to heterosexuality.

So no, all this 'gay rights' huffuf isn't just about being able to marry, it's also about trying to get recognised as human beings, and being treated as such.

Prayer time during schools? I don't even understand why this is illegal. If a school gives students time to pray or meditate, YOU ATHEISTS DON'T HAVE TO GET DO GOD DAMMED BUTTHURT. You don't have to declare a HOLY WAR every time a Christian does something vaugely religious.
Agreed, as long as people aren't being forced to join in prayer then there's no problem. But don't stereotype all atheists as being butthurt over school prayers.

Furthermore, YES, I AM A CHRISTIAN. NO, I DON'T WANT TO FUCKING DEBATE WITH YOU OVER THE FOUNDATION OF MY BELIEFS. EVOLUTION HOLDS GROUND, THAT DOESN'T MEAN WE ALL CAME FROM FUCKING MONKEYS YOU STUPID FUCKTARDS.[/url]
Well no, because evolutionary theory, I think, states that we're not descended from monkeys, we just have a common ancestor. Like how you're not descended from your cousin, you just have a common grandparent.

Racism? WHAT THE FU- okay, no. This is just... no.

People of other ethnicities have rights. I respect all people, unless they decide to be a jerkass. Yes, teenage girl, I hate your fucking animes and want you to shut the fuck up about how damn kaiwaa sephiroth is or whatever you angsty assfucks do nowadays. Yes, black person, I mildy dislike the kind of music you listen to, but no, I'M NOT RACIST. You call EACH OTHER racial slurs, and even though YOU ARE GRANTED FULL RIGHTS, you MAKE UP discrimination so that YOU CAN FEEL SPECIAL. I have a friend who is a Pacific Islander, I sometimes call him Kawaiaan, But THAT IS PURELY JOCULAR GOOD FUCKTARD.[/url]
Again, just because the law stipulates full rights for all people doesn't mean that society gives them full rights. Don't try and pretend racism doesn't exist, just don't.

Why does every single issue have to be a ginormous fucking capital deal?
Because these issues are 'ginormous fucking capital deals'. It may be hard for you to understand, seeing as you are (I believe) a straight, white male Christian, and thus everything society loves the most. Don't even try to pretend that LGBTs should shut up and like what they're given, or that society is wonderful and racism-free. There's a reason there's no such thing as the 'hetero panic defense'.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 05:15:50 pm by Aequor »
[USE_GOOD_REASON:UNTHINKABLE]

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 04, 2011, 05:21:06 pm »

I'm not sure if this belong to the progressive's rage thread but I think so. Or maybe not since I hope that everyone will rage on this. But...
Actually, can we link to new topic on this thread?

Edit : By topic I mean to articles that contain thing on which a progressive is likely to rage.

ReEdit: Ha yes topic of the article:  Florida justice: rich man will do no time for killing two tourists in exchange for cash restitution to their families

(summary shamelessly stolen to Boing Boing)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 05:24:15 pm by Phmcw »
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2011, 05:27:01 pm »

So now criminal cases can be settled out of court like civil cases?

whatthefuckamireading.jpg
Shoes...

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 04, 2011, 05:28:29 pm »

snip

Good to have you here.

Edit : By topic I mean to articles that contain thing on which a progressive is likely to rage.

Yeah, that's in the OP.  I'm a little bit less interested in classism, because in general it's less subtle and gets into other branches of politics, better addressed elsewhere--for example, this is not a thread for the discussion of big business in general (right now), much as it makes me rage--but you are allowed to bring up your own topics, and for now at the very least a little classism on the side can't hurt.

Thanks for the contribution =)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 852