Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 858783 times)

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
Re: Vector's Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2011, 01:52:11 pm »

I'm not Republican, actually.

Surprise!

You're just doing the "othering" that Vector mentioned without presenting any proof beyond your "insider" information.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 01:54:30 pm by Knight of Fools »
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2011, 01:55:25 pm »

The problem with contraceptives is that they don't work all the time. Pretty much any contraceptive mechanism is bound to fail, even those implants they stick in women only have a 99% success rate. Other than that, people tend to end up having unprotected sex because of a poor sex ed system. Kids are smart, don't get me wrong, it's just that sometimes being smart means not asking about those things in certain regions of the world, and so they have no idea of how things work, and what the risks are. It's pretty unfair to expect these people to know better because you do.

the failure rate for most contraceptives is from people misusing them, not them failing. Those implants have a 99.999 percent success rate. as for people lacking education, that's why I said I support planned parenthood. Education is important, and they provide that. And yes, I know that many people live in places where they just don't have access to contraceptives or information about them. I am obviously not talking about these people. My comment was aimed solely at people living in the U.S.or similarly developed countries.

edit- as for the Rethuglicans, I would call them foolish and wrong more than I would call them evil. Except for that behavior modification thing, that crosses the line.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 01:58:52 pm by Angle »

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2011, 02:10:25 pm »

Those implants have a 99.999 percent success rate.

Even 99.999% effective still means thousands or tens of thousands of annual unplanned pregnancies in the US alone, simply due to the number of people in the calculation.
Sure, it probably won't happen to any given person, but that doesn't mean it won't happen.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2011, 02:29:50 pm »

As long as we understand the difference between what defines a party and what defines a person doing something legitimately wrong.

Whether or not a Republican or a Democrat has some scandal (Involving money, sex, or both) has no bearing on their class.  We're not going around saying that all Democrats are crazed sex addicts based purely on "insider information" and some mistakes that people have made, and neither are we going around saying that all Republicans are greedy sons-of-guns based on the same things (Mistakes and "inside info").  Either one would be insanely presumptuous, no matter what one's class preference, because both parties have the same "human" fallacies.  Both Republicans and Democrats have sex scandals, bad money, and a bunch of other things that result from human nature, not their party affiliation.

We also need to understand that the people who go about forcing their views and ideologies on others are wrong.  I would not condone anybody forcing someone to do anything against their will in an effort to "change" them, no matter the excuse.  I wouldn't support a school making people heterosexual as I would someone trying to make others homosexual.  They're both on the same degree of wrong.

What we need to do is realize that someone who disagrees with us is not automatically an enemy.  They simply have a differing opinion, and we should respect their opinion, whether or not we see merit in it.  Refusing to see both sides of the story will make us blind.  I'm tired of the "us versus them" mentality - It gets tiring.

Sorry for the off-topic rant on "othering".
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2011, 02:36:30 pm »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
Re: Vector's Progressive Rage Thread CHEESBURGER
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2011, 02:43:16 pm »

I wish there were a laughing smiley on this board. I lol'd.

But, er, back on topic, I guess.  Sorry for the derailment, Vector!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2011, 02:45:01 pm »

It's okay--I don't consider it a derailment, because at this point I trust neither Democrats nor Republicans on the face value of the elected party politics >_>  So... yeah, don't worry about it.  This thread is supposed to be a little chaotic, and all of your posts have been a pleasure to read.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2011, 02:51:12 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I think Knight of Fools stated my opinion better than I did. It's a matter of the issue leading to partisanship conflict rather than looking out for the best interests of the populace at large. I see abortion issues as personal choice that lies beyond the purview of the state to dictate, and as such should  be decided on a personal basis. I understand that necessity of legislation to protect the right of self-determination exists, but I wish it weren't so. Hence, in a forced polarization on the issue, I will side with the pro-choice argument every time.

However, the issue extends beyond a "simple" debate over whether or not abortion should be legislated. There's a matter of social responsibility that's being ignored in contraception and sex education. Contraceptives are a viable option, but they carry a degree of social stigma that shouldn't exist. I think the problem should be solved through social awareness and education, instead of repression and stigma. Personal responsibility and maturity would go a long way towards solving the root cause of the issue, instead of flaring debate over the symptom and ignoring the cause.

The othering issue is perfectly illustrated in partisanship politics. Let's say I, as a voter, desire a candidate that is pro-choice, anti gun regulation, non-religious (as in, refuses to endorse or refute any particular religious affiliation in any government capacity at any level), and environmentally moderate. Who do I vote for? Partisanship ensures any non-democrat or non-republican vote is essentially wasted. What option does that leave me?
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2011, 03:20:58 pm »

In theory, a libertarian Republican would be your ideal candidate. However, party orthodoxy makes political life short, nasty and brutish for any Republican professing to be pro-choice, even when that decision is framed as one of "personal liberty". Plus, too many libertarians are very laissez-faire on environmental regulation--which, left to the good graces of the private sector, essentially equals "Favors allowing companies to make and sell Baby Seal Jerky if they choose to".

I think what this demonstrates is the core ideological paradoxes at the heart of both parties. The Republican party is supposed to be the party of limted government and personal liberty, but since the religious Right got their claws into them circa 1980, they've also made legislating morality a key component of their platform, which inherently conflicts with their stated core principles.

The Democrats are supposed to be the party of social welfare, equality and individual freedoms, but frequently attempt to do so in hamfisted or "one-size-fits-all" ways which often wind up not solving the problem at all, or only partially doing so.

Personally, my ideal platform would be one that is fiscally conservative, socially liberal and foreign policy moderate. Since no such party exists, I am and will continue to be an Independent.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2011, 03:53:03 pm »

When I saw this, my first thought was "Can we make this mandatory for all males at say, age 15?"  :o
:O

I'm just waiting for Simmura to read this. It's like Vector and the Gentleman topic a while back. It's just a dumbass thing to say.

What if I WANT kids at 18? (I don't ever want kids, but hypothetically speaking.) What if I've a girlfriend who also wants kids at 18? Suddenly, some stupid government regulation has ruined my plans. It's one thing to require a vaccination for Chicken Pox. That's a disease.
Pregnancy isn't.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2011, 03:59:33 pm »

Make it like sex ed where parents can elect to exclude their kids from it. The option is there for parents that just don't care and are surprised that their kids had a baby, but for parents and kids who have their own plans it can be evaded.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2011, 04:02:17 pm »

God dammit, this shit pisses me off. I'm going to spoiler my opinions so that I don't cause a ROYAL FUCKING PANIC by not being arch-liberal.

Make it like sex ed where parents can elect to exclude their kids from it. The option is there for parents that just don't care and are surprised that their kids had a baby, but for parents and kids who have their own plans it can be evaded.

agreed.

When I saw this, my first thought was "Can we make this mandatory for all males at say, age 15?"  :o

I'm just waiting for Simmura to read this. It's like Vector and the Gentleman topic a while back. It's just a dumbass thing to say.

What if I WANT kids at 18? (I don't ever want kids, but hypothetically speaking.) What if I've a girlfriend who also wants kids at 18? Suddenly, some stupid government regulation has ruined my plans. It's one thing to require a vaccination for Chicken Pox. That's a disease.
Pregnancy isn't.

I DO NOT WANT TO CATCH PREGNANCY

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2011, 04:06:20 pm »

I know I know, Poe's Law, but you could have won every thread like this every if you included a footnote there saying that you were actually Stephen Colbert. I am humbled by your opinions. Do you really believe all that?

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2011, 04:06:45 pm »

Even 99.999% effective still means thousands or tens of thousands of annual unplanned pregnancies in the US alone, simply due to the number of people in the calculation.
Sure, it probably won't happen to any given person, but that doesn't mean it won't happen.

I should clarify - I'm not saying people should go out and have sex every which way, I'm saying that if they're going to have sex anyway and they're not trying to concieve, they should try and use protection. For some reason, there are a lot of people who don't seem to give these things a single thought, and it annoys me.

Pregnancy isn't.

he says it lasts for two years. if administered at fifteen, it would wear out at seventeen, a good year before that would be a problem. My worries have more to do with whether or not it really works, whether or not there are side effect, and the whole "I have to get a shot where?!" issue. Also, note, even vaccines aren't mandatory. If you're monumentally stupid, you can opt out of them. It's stupid and will probably get your child killed, but it's possible. We've actually been having a lot of trouble recently from the stupid anti-vaxer convincling people to not get vaccined and then being OH SO SHOCKED when their children get sick and die.

ggamer: Oh dear.
*battens down the hatches and awaits raging inferno.*
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 04:15:30 pm by Angle »

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2011, 04:10:36 pm »

"Can we make this mandatory for all males at say, age 15?"  :o
Government Enforced Sterilization? Are you serious?
After all, the actual individual's opinion doesn't matter. They're just stupid 15 year olds who don't get to object to being sterilized in an involuntary and definately painful medical procedure because they have no rights. Really.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 852