Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 631 632 [633] 634 635 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 853452 times)

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #9481 on: January 09, 2012, 11:03:42 am »

Yeah, I saw that too. Then I saw they were sub-Saharan immigrants to the UK and it was..."oh. Yeah, that's still a problem down there." (killing people on suspicion of witchcraft, not witchcraft itself)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9482 on: January 09, 2012, 11:28:53 am »

I find the racist comments there even more deppressing. Apparently the biggest factor here isnt that a kid was murdered on charges of sorcery, but that the event polluted their mewsfeeds.

Besides, it's not like subsaharian immigrants are the only ones who hold ridiculous beliefs. Consider the deaths that have taken place through "partial unbirthing". Consider the casualties of the "vaccines are evil" movement, or of the "aids is not caused by vih" one, or by any of the faith healing cults, like scientologists, or christian science. There's plenty of homegrown murderous traditions to go around, so no sense in criminalizing all  immigrants because of the deeds of a particularily stupid couple
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9483 on: January 09, 2012, 11:49:51 am »

I'm not sure about "stupid", really.  Having very sincerely held yet dangerous beliefs doesn't automatically mean you're an idiot, and I think doing so to some extent dismisses the serious problems that some countries still have with witch trials.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9484 on: January 09, 2012, 11:55:54 am »

Should I point out the "witch" trials in the modern US?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damien_Echols

Among many.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9485 on: January 09, 2012, 12:09:59 pm »

(Because of course woman cannot rape...)
You can't rape the willing.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9486 on: January 09, 2012, 12:11:22 pm »

In that particular case, I'd say it's more of a case of "small-town cops being corrupt and/or incompetent" rather than religious persecution. Just like the 1980's slew of "Satanic daycare" scandals was mostly public hysteria rather than some deep-rooted superstition problem.

Actually a more prominent case would be the public reaction to Christine O'Donnell's Wiccan past when she was running for office. Mostly ridicule and the loss of Republican votes. I would say that in a fair chunk of the US today, being a Wiccan is no big deal. There are definitely spots in the South where I wouldn't go making a big deal of it, but I'd be shocked to see outright murders like these, especially of children.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9487 on: January 09, 2012, 12:16:07 pm »

(Because of course woman cannot rape...)
You can't rape the willing.
Can't tell if you're seriously implying all men are always willing.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9488 on: January 09, 2012, 12:29:07 pm »

Sarcasm tags aren't working :(
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9489 on: January 09, 2012, 12:30:34 pm »

Hence the can't tell rather than flat accusations~

Silly text based internet.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9490 on: January 09, 2012, 01:05:09 pm »

sarcasm?

Or sarcarsm, perhaps

I think green drop shadow looks the best.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 01:08:44 pm by GlyphGryph »

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9491 on: January 09, 2012, 01:08:27 pm »

When I was in community college about 13 years ago, a girl I was dating was bullied, received death threats, was beaten and eventually kicked out of her high school by the administration because she was a satanist. I also have pagan family, and radical fundamentalist family, this could easilly happen to people I care about. So yes this shit hits close to home for me.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9492 on: January 09, 2012, 01:27:00 pm »

Admittedly, there's probably less tolerance for Satanists than for other "New Age" religions. I sympathize...I have quite a few pagan friends, and there's probably a fair swath of people in the country that would consider me pagan (although that's pagan with a small p).

I guess it's the fact that the various Wiccan/Neopagan/Thelemite/druidic friends that I have don't really have problems in their daily life, that colors my perception of the severity of the problem. I mean, my biggest problem is the lack of proper place of worship and/or critical mass of like-minded people to get together with (damn you, California/Hawaii! *shakes fist*)

But at the same time, I keep my head down. I don't have anything that outwardly identifies my religion beyond a bagua on the front door, which most people probably just think is decoration. And in extended family gatherings and such, the topic just doesn't come up. And of course, when you're having dinner at somebody's house or at our kids' daycare (which is run by a Methodist church) and somebody says grace, I bow my head and say Amen.

It's called "reed bending in the wind doesn't get broken".

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9493 on: January 09, 2012, 01:32:00 pm »

The pagans in my family occasionally worship at Universal Unitarian churches when they don't do their thing at home.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9494 on: January 09, 2012, 01:33:49 pm »

I'm not sure if you're still talking about it, but the witch killing in the UK had nothing to do with persecution of religious groups calling themselves witches and was rather to do with the still prevalent view in some parts of the world that children can be evil magic users.  It's not that you can't discuss it, it's just that I'd be careful not to draw an equivalence between them.
Pages: 1 ... 631 632 [633] 634 635 ... 852