Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 582 583 [584] 585 586 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 856282 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #8745 on: December 23, 2011, 10:54:53 am »

http://news.yahoo.com/house-passes-payroll-tax-cut-obamas-signature-150713739.html

Why yes, Americans do want something from Congress. "Hating Obama" is not enough. If you say taxes must be cut and the President offers a tax cut, you can't reject it out of hand just because he suggested it or because it helps working, as opposed to rich people. They are not "job creators," or if they are, then they have failed to create jobs commensurate with the massive tax breaks we have given them.

You give me 1/100th the money derived from tax breaks to the rich and I'll start or revive an entire industry employing as many people as I can while making a respectable profit. I'm rife with ideas, while these "job creators," have neither ideas nor jobs.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 10:56:45 am by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8746 on: December 23, 2011, 11:24:17 am »

I think people find it far too easy to forget that private companies exist to serve thier shareholders, not thier employers.
This is a blank sig.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8747 on: December 23, 2011, 11:55:17 am »

I think people find it far too easy to forget that private companies exist to serve thier shareholders, not thier employers.

And by "private" you mean "publicly traded", right? Not exactly the same thing.

Of course, I'm also not convinced that being obligated to the shareholders is a good thing, anyway. I'm not exactly an economist, but to me it seems like that situation would just push for a corporation to grow indefinitely, no matter what, because shareholders expect an increase in the value of their stock. I mean that as opposed to a private company who can afford a bit more to reach a comfortable size and stay there.

I'm rife with ideas, while these "job creators," have neither ideas nor jobs.

On a not-terribly-serious note, whenever I see "job creators", I think of that speech Zorg makes in "The Fifth Element" about how destruction creates life/activity/employment. My initial impression of a "job creator" is someone who just goes around breaking windows, inconveniencing people, and causing messes, just so there's more work to be done.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #8748 on: December 23, 2011, 11:58:17 am »

I'm rife with ideas, while these "job creators," have neither ideas nor jobs.

On a not-terribly-serious note, whenever I see "job creators", I think of that speech Zorg makes in "The Fifth Element" about how destruction creates life/activity/employment. My initial impression of a "job creator" is someone who just goes around breaking windows, inconveniencing people, and causing messes, just so there's more work to be done.
Relevant.

Or was that the point you were making?

Irrelevant: http://reason.com/blog/2011/12/23/lee-county-deputies-tied-suspect-to-a-ch

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8749 on: December 23, 2011, 03:01:09 pm »

Relevant.

Or was that the point you were making?

I actually haven't heard of that before, but it is relevant. I think the reason I come up with such an absurd mental image for "job creators" is that I don't see "creating jobs" (with no other qualifiers) or "stimulating the economy" (via consumption) as necessarily being such a good thing.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8750 on: December 23, 2011, 06:14:05 pm »

I dunno, I thought the chain went:

It's a church attended by black people -> So it's clearly an attack on the community -> So it implies that this was a hate crime and that the culprit would likely do it again -> Therefore he deserves a long sentence

Rather than:

It's a church -> Churches are inherently more valuable than other buildings -> Therefore he deserves a long sentence

So... I'd have said it's kindof the case that it being a church resulted in a longer sentence, but what you think of the actual value of the church is irrelevant.  The fact that it was committed against a church merely helps show the intent of the perpetrator.

I'd agree, that's pretty much how I'd see it. It's bad, but not because the building is a church but because it indicates an attack on a particular community.

Which means, once again, I was pretty much agreeing with everyone here before I opened my mouth. Well, at least I can see that now.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #8751 on: December 23, 2011, 06:57:59 pm »

Does anyone have the entire articles for that Ron Paul racist newsletter scandal? My dad keeps talking about how they can kind of be taken as racist, not really being outright racist or anything, and all I can find are the singled-out, most insinuating quotes. So I sort of want context.

Dr.Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8752 on: December 23, 2011, 09:06:03 pm »

Does anyone have the entire articles for that Ron Paul racist newsletter scandal? My dad keeps talking about how they can kind of be taken as racist, not really being outright racist or anything, and all I can find are the singled-out, most insinuating quotes. So I sort of want context.

Here you go:

http://www.tnr.com/article/politics/ron-paul-newsletter
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 10:20:58 am by Dr.Feelgood »

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8753 on: December 23, 2011, 11:18:45 pm »

"Given the inefficiencies of what DC laughingly calls the criminal justice system, I think we can safely assume that 95 percent of the black males in that city are semi-criminal or entirely criminal."

"We are constantly told that it is evil to be afraid of black men, it is hardly irrational."

After the Los Angeles riots, one article in a newsletter claimed, "Order was only restored in L.A. when it came time for the blacks to pick up their welfare checks."

One referred to Martin Luther King Jr. as "the world-class philanderer who beat up his paramours" and who "seduced underage girls and boys."

Another referred to Barbara Jordan, a civil rights activist and congresswoman as "Barbara Morondon," the "archetypical half-educated victimologist."

A direct-mail solicitation for Ron Paul's political and investment newsletters two decades ago warned of a "coming race war in our big cities" and of a "federal-homosexual cover-up" to play down the impact of AIDS.

The eight-page letter, which appears to carry Paul's signature at the end, also warns that the U.S. government's redesign of currency to include different colors - a move aimed at thwarting counterfeiters - actually was part of a plot to allow the government to track Americans using the "new money."

The letter urges readers to subscribe to Paul's newsletters so that he could "tell you how you can save yourself and your family" from an overbearing government.

Overly honest about a lot of things, apparently.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8754 on: December 23, 2011, 11:31:34 pm »

Well, that's.....absolutely insane in every way, shape, or form.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8755 on: December 23, 2011, 11:33:27 pm »

Yeah.  That's pretty much the paranoid rantings of a madman, apart from anything else.

...Can he really accuse other people of playing up their victimization while talking about a federal-homosexual coverup on AIDS?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8756 on: December 23, 2011, 11:41:07 pm »

Personally, I'm willing to consider that he blindly put his name on bullshit he didn't actually write. However, I'm not about to assume either way, and when you put your name on something, you better make damn sure you support it.

That being said, the idea that there was nothing prejudiced/nutty in those newsletters is... well, I guess that's up to interpretation, but I don't know how to interpret it that way, that's for sure.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8757 on: December 23, 2011, 11:43:00 pm »

You sheeple just wait until you’re carrying soviet smartcards and cheap harmonicas, then we’ll see who’s crazy.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8758 on: December 23, 2011, 11:47:05 pm »

There... There is no way that any human being could manage to write that and still remain in society enough to have a presidential bid. Just no way.

I had an extended discussion with a Christian care worker at my school yesterday. His main points were that republicans basically failed at their own religion in essentially every way except believing in god. I had fun with that conversation.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8759 on: December 23, 2011, 11:48:34 pm »

You sheeple just wait until you’re carrying soviet smartcards and cheap harmonicas, then we’ll see who’s crazy.
Yeah, those dirty soviet... wait, we get harmonicas? Sign me up!
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.
Pages: 1 ... 582 583 [584] 585 586 ... 852