Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 567 568 [569] 570 571 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 856797 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #8520 on: December 19, 2011, 10:18:33 am »

I miss Clinton too. A lot more people had jobs back then. And the greatest threat facing America was...Christian militias and rap lyrics. Or, a New World Order conspiracy with black helicopters and jackbooted stormtroopers, if you were of that political ilk (i.e. much of the same ilk that are now running the Republican Party).

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #8521 on: December 19, 2011, 10:54:34 am »

Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8522 on: December 19, 2011, 11:18:43 am »

The christian war on American traditional christmas continues: http://gma.yahoo.com/mich-residents-receive-letter-calling-christmas-lights-pagan-194443043.html
Okay, now you're just being ridiculous in what you consider the War on Christmas. This isn't the Far Right getting up in arms about how PCness is destroying Christmas, this is one particularly small sect of Christianity trying to change the beliefs of other Christians. This is an entirely other thing.

And yes, Christmas lights are pagan. Christmas trees are pagan. This isn't even a new story, theologians have been wrestling with this one for a while. My dad, a pastor, says this every year around the house. Yet our church and our home are decorated with pagan imagery because that's how the holiday has come to be celebrated. The notes are being sent by pedantic people who don't understand that 99% of the 80% just don't give a damn whether Christmas lights are pagan or not.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8523 on: December 19, 2011, 11:29:35 am »

wasn't Christ born in the spring anyway?

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8524 on: December 19, 2011, 11:30:53 am »

It doesn't matter if its Christians waging war on other Christians Christmas. It is people trying to make the world a less festive and joyous place because they are terrified that people exist who are not as close minded as themselves.

I like Christmas.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8525 on: December 19, 2011, 11:32:27 am »

I don't, but I still don't go around taking it from other people.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8526 on: December 19, 2011, 11:33:07 am »

I live in a place where it's not celebrated, so eh.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8527 on: December 19, 2011, 11:33:43 am »

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-pn-gingrich-judges-20111217,0,1295899.story

Newt Gingrich says he'd defy Supreme Court rulings he opposed.... And the supreme court would kick him square in the nuts for it....

???

« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 11:44:16 am by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8528 on: December 19, 2011, 11:33:55 am »

And yes, Christmas lights are pagan. Christmas trees are pagan. This isn't even a new story, theologians have been wrestling with this one for a while. My dad, a pastor, says this every year around the house. Yet our church and our home are decorated with pagan imagery because that's how the holiday has come to be celebrated. The notes are being sent by pedantic people who don't understand that 99% of the 80% just don't give a damn whether Christmas lights are pagan or not.

Well, that's hypocritical. Bashing typical christmas imagery while using them?

Maybe, they should try to change themselves before attempting to change others.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8529 on: December 19, 2011, 11:41:38 am »

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-pn-gingrich-judges-20111217,0,1295899.story

Newt Gingrich says he'd defy Supreme Court rulings he opposed.... And the supreme court would kick him square in the nuts for it....

???

holy crap. I don't know what to say. That is the most terrifying thing i have seen in I don't know how long. And I have been studying some pretty terrifying things recently.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8530 on: December 19, 2011, 11:42:19 am »

The christian war on American traditional christmas continues: http://gma.yahoo.com/mich-residents-receive-letter-calling-christmas-lights-pagan-194443043.html
Little-known fact: Druids were big on blinging up Stonehenge with LED lights. Unfortunately, they hadn't invented electricity yet, so...

Also, the origins of the Christmas tree are not so ancient. According to the Wiki, both the tree and the lights can only be reliably documented back to about the 17th century.

Sadly, the origins of asshattery predate civilization.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8531 on: December 19, 2011, 11:42:41 am »

It doesn't matter if its Christians waging war on other Christians Christmas. It is people trying to make the world a less festive and joyous place because they are terrified that people exist who are not as close minded as themselves.

I like Christmas.
I just keep on seeing so many things on the War on Christmas everywhere I go on the internet that it is literally harshing my Christmas mellow, and reading your post made me think you were trying to expand its definition.

Well, that's hypocritical. Bashing typical christmas imagery while using them?

Maybe, they should try to change themselves before attempting to change others.
I didn't say the people who were bashing them still used them, I said my family still uses them. People who are pedantic enough to send notes to people on the issue generally are pedantic enough to carry through on their own beliefs externally. Internally, I don't know.

I'm not saying they're not hypocritical, I'm saying I can't know that they're being hypocritical, and nothing in my post could lead to the assumption that they are being hypocritical on this issue.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8532 on: December 19, 2011, 11:45:15 am »

I know of churches where the singing of carols (even those with a religious bent) is forbidden because they're not considered proper liturgical music.

Not to mention those churches where musical instruments are forbidden... ::)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8533 on: December 19, 2011, 11:46:26 am »

???

holy crap. I don't know what to say. That is the most terrifying thing i have seen in I don't know how long. And I have been studying some pretty terrifying things recently.

"As a historian, Gingrich said he knows President Thomas Jefferson abolished some judgeships, and President Abraham Lincoln made clear he did not accept the Dred Scott decision denying that former slaves could be citizens."

That hypocritical son of a bitch, he knows damn well you can't compare Lincoln's refusal to accept Dred Scott, with his politically motivated crap and how dare he open that flap of his to do so. Dred Scott was a sacrilege of Justice, which declared in simple sum that black people were not citizens or people, but rather property. The Dred Scott decision backed the north into a corner on slavery, which was the subject of the civil war (state's rights to... have... slavery). To say that Lincoln refusing to acknowledge Dred Scott is anything, anything at all, like him wanting to play politics with the courts, is complete and utter bullshit.  This case started the American Civil War.

If he ends up President, I hope he tries it and I hope he gets impeached for it.

As president, you are to faithfully execute the laws. Not to make them and not to interpret them....

It's bullshit, and he's either batshit crazy or he knows it.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 11:48:43 am by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8534 on: December 19, 2011, 11:50:34 am »

Presidents only get impeached these days for inappropriate behavior with female interns. For serious crimes they are sentenced to 4 more years in office.

Pages: 1 ... 567 568 [569] 570 571 ... 852