Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 857930 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #540 on: June 15, 2011, 06:13:55 pm »

Common consensus amongst my peers is that America is a third world country that just happens to also harbor lots of obscenely wealthy people.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: June 15, 2011, 06:19:25 pm »

Africa: No.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: June 15, 2011, 06:30:08 pm »

I can't imagine an actual divide in the U.S.A., but I could see a genocide against politicians.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: June 15, 2011, 07:22:11 pm »

Yup, used to be one parent worked, and the other stayed home and that one breadwinner supported the entire family. Never talked about health care, because it wasn't a problem; old people didn't eat cat food. That breadwinner, rarely had more than a high school education. By comparison today, he didn't compete for a job, he walked into a factory.... There were no outsourced jobs to China. We never talked about cutting anyone's benefits. The Rich actually paid taxes. Corporations did too. College didn't cost a fortune. Now? Meh.

NOTE: This is not a commentary on Gender Roles, but rather pointing out that it used to be you could support the entire family on ONE income with a high school education and now you can barely do it on TWO with education if you can even afford that....
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 07:29:12 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: June 15, 2011, 07:31:42 pm »

True that Truean. It used to be that the employees got their wages and benefits, and all the leftovers went to the business. Now, the business gets its cut, and the employees get to scavenge the remains.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: June 15, 2011, 08:34:14 pm »

Corporations exist to generate profit.  Money that goes to employees is considered operational costs.  In other words, profit isn't for employees.  In order to increase profits, which corporations are designed to strive for at all times, they must either increase the revenue generated by employees relative to the cost of employing them, or they must decrease employment costs while maintaining their revenue generation.  It's pretty damn broken.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Africa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: June 15, 2011, 09:23:28 pm »

The South doesn't want to secede from the Union, despite what some people usually think.

I don't think they do either, and they probably won't within 100 years, but if I had to pick a most-likely-to-secede, it would be the ex-Confederacy.

@SalmonGod: Huh? As in, we're a third world country but there's a small population of obscenely wealthy people? Or as in, we're a third world country but most of the population is comparatively obscenely wealthy? Because our poor people ARE obscenely wealthy by world standards, but I'm not sure where the third world country comes in.
Quote from: Cthulhu
It's like using hobos to fight an eating-resistant baloney epidemic.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: June 15, 2011, 09:43:56 pm »

@SalmonGod: Huh? As in, we're a third world country but there's a small population of obscenely wealthy people? Or as in, we're a third world country but most of the population is comparatively obscenely wealthy? Because our poor people ARE obscenely wealthy by world standards, but I'm not sure where the third world country comes in.

Then how come most of the young adults I know with college degrees are struggling to find employment that they can more than scrape by on, or have mostly given up and just live with their parents?

Most of them have various cheap gadgets that they accumulate over time and grant the appearance of not being dirt poor, but then many of those are commonly gifts from their elders who got financially established when there was more opportunity, and even if all their irresponsible expenditures over time were combined, would not amount to much against real expenses such as a mortgage.

Could just be where I live, just outside of Indianapolis... which looks luxurious compared to the rural life if you drive out just half an hour, where you can find small towns that really do look like they're in a third world country.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: June 15, 2011, 09:49:17 pm »

Corporations exist to generate profit.  Money that goes to employees is considered operational costs.  In other words, profit isn't for employees.  In order to increase profits, which corporations are designed to strive for at all times, they must either increase the revenue generated by employees relative to the cost of employing them, or they must decrease employment costs while maintaining their revenue generation.  It's pretty damn broken.

Yeah, this is called people, even and especially most Economists, not getting it. There's kind of a "no shit," feeling when people say "corporations exist to generate profits." Its so blatantly obvious that no one is disputing it. Pointing it out is kind of without purpose given that everyone knows it. Rather, we're saying the point is being missed and you are wasting effort focusing on the totally obvious instead of said point.

People and businesses fail to grasp the cyclical nature of business. Every business loves "customers" and more accurately their payments. Those same businesses want to keep their "employment" costs low. The great big joke of a point they are missing is that the employees ARE customers. Even if they aren't directly, they are indirectly, because they are the customers of the business' customers who in turn enable the business' customers to pay.... Did you catch that? In short, employees are your customer's customers, without whom your customers can't afford to pay you.... I don't buy a damn thing from my boss, but somewhere in the mix, I buy something from someone who pays him....

Fishermen exist to catch fish, but if they overfish, they won't have any in the future. Similarly, if corporations don't pay anyone anything, then they will kill off the customer pool, because no one will be able to afford anything then.

Henry Ford Understood this, which is why he intentionally lowered the price of his automobiles to make them affordable to as many people as he could. His Shareholders hated him for it and won the lawsuit over it. The shareholders were short sighted, greedy idiots. Mr. Ford wanted a garage on every home, one of his cars in every garage, and one of everyone's wallets feeding him tons of money.... Mr. Ford realized that while the "automatory machinery" (old timely, crappy automation machines) did save him labor costs, THEY SIMPLY DIDN'T BUY ANY OF HIS CARS.... It's called cultivating customers, and we've forgotten it.

Summation, No one makes any money, no one can afford to buy anything, no customers for businesses, no money for businesses. So paying your employees nothing isn't as great an idea as it sounds, because it comes back to bite you.... Kinda like its doing now....
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 09:59:08 pm by Truean »

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: June 15, 2011, 09:53:34 pm »

Yet another no shit moment.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: June 15, 2011, 09:55:50 pm »

Yet another no shit moment.

Today many corporations don't follow what I just said. It's "hurray for me and to hell with you;" I'm charging you as much as I possibly can for the crappiest product I can pawn off on you, attitude. Let's all automate, outsource, and downsize....

Please don't quote me.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: June 15, 2011, 10:02:32 pm »

The thing is, there is a diminishing return. Spending one less dollar does not mean you will make one less dollar.

Also, the thing is, that whole 'corporations are out to screw you' sounds really bad until you realize that individual people do the exact same thing, only on a smaller scale.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: June 15, 2011, 10:04:01 pm »

Yeah, that's exactly what I was getting at (plus some, but that would be getting too much into my political perspective for this thread).  Most people I know don't get the broader perspective there.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: June 15, 2011, 10:11:14 pm »

The thing is, there is a diminishing return. Spending one less dollar does not mean you will make one less dollar.

Also, the thing is, that whole 'corporations are out to screw you' sounds really bad until you realize that individual people do the exact same thing, only on a smaller scale.

Yes and no, it depends on specifically how much is spent on what and what the RETURN ON INVESTMENT is. The notion of "Spending" as a generic thing is laughable. What did you buy and what will that thing do for you?

Sometimes there are diminishing returns. Other times, the Return on investment is so much that you do loose out and actually loose more than $1 by not spending that dollar. It involves also looking at what your other options are (opportunity costs).

Simply, it isn't so simple.

Please don't quote me.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: June 15, 2011, 10:13:44 pm »

Then whats your issue man?
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 852