Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 329 330 [331] 332 333 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 853426 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Chill and Relaxed Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #4950 on: September 15, 2011, 08:28:48 am »

I'll give you a proper response sometime tonight, g-flex.

In the meantime, I'd like to thank everyone for being open minded. I've spouted some of my more radical ideas on these boards in the past few days (here and the "jailed for trolling" thread), and I've noticed a distinct lack of condescending dismissals. It's good to be able to express my opinions without being told "lol ur dumb shut up" like I'd get most anywhere else.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4951 on: September 15, 2011, 12:18:58 pm »

I think another reason for the age of consent is to prevent paedophiles from "grooming" or teaching children to have sex with them.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4952 on: September 15, 2011, 01:21:24 pm »

By the way: Jailing someone for owning manga is not "thought crime". Sorry. Not that I necessarily agree with his getting arrested, but owning something is not thought, nor is its production.
Wait, what? Are we now putting pedophiles on the same level as lolicons, or are we talking about something completely different?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4953 on: September 15, 2011, 04:12:27 pm »

This pisses me off.
National SAT averages drop, College Board blames diversity

The fact that kids are getting slightly dumber only irks me. The SAT isn't a great test of intelligence anyways.

What really pissed me off was the College Board's (and assorted school systems') explanation: that the decline was due to greater diversity among the tesk-takers. I.e. more black and Latino kids, which means a proportionally smaller number of white and Asian kids.

So....are you saying that black and Latino kids are just flat-out dumber? Cause I don't think you meant to say that. While it's demonstrable that black and Latino children do significantly worse on the test, how about let's look at why. Why is it that black kids do so much worse? Or is it even really a race thing as much as a socio-economic thing?

They don't provide breakdowns by household income, but they do by parental education which is a pretty good broad substitute for income bracket. 60% of kids whose parents had a college degree hit the "benchmark" score or higher. Only 15% of those whose parents didn't have a college education did so. Okay, so maybe it's not that there's more black and Latino kids, it's that there's more poor kids (and sadly, there's a strong correlation between minorities and lower socio-economic status) taking the test.

Again, why should this matter? Ideally, they should all be getting equal access to your fine educational systems, right? Or is this showing that despite all the rhetoric and the well-intentioned but horribly designed "No Child Left Behind", the lion's share of resources in US school systems still gets spent on affluent white kids. Just like it did 30 years ago when I first went to school. So how 'bout instead of blaming the minority kids and the poor kids for your black eye, you come up with an explanation for why, after 30 years, you still can't figure out a way to provide a good education to ALL children?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #4954 on: September 15, 2011, 04:42:47 pm »

The only thing it says that is even close to a logical reason is that many of the 'diverse' newcomers are learning English as a second language, causing them to not understand the questions as well.

But yeah, massively cutting education funding and then whining about dropping SAT scores is silly.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4955 on: September 15, 2011, 04:45:25 pm »

The only thing it says that is even close to a logical reason is that many of the 'diverse' newcomers are learning English as a second language, causing them to not understand the questions as well.

But yeah, massively cutting education funding and then whining about dropping SAT scores is silly.
Does the College Board have much of a say in the budget cuts anyway?

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #4956 on: September 15, 2011, 04:49:56 pm »

Not a whole lot, no. My point was that their article seems to be about the wrong thing. Instead of 'Scores are dropping because of diversity', they should be pointing out the real problems with the system.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4958 on: September 15, 2011, 07:26:49 pm »

Go Oregon, I guess?

Although, I find it a little disturbing that there are apparently no laws requiring the person performing it have a license.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #4959 on: September 15, 2011, 07:33:22 pm »

Go Oregon, I guess?

Although, I find it a little disturbing that there are apparently no laws requiring the person performing it have a license.
Yeah, my state is cool.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4960 on: September 15, 2011, 07:43:28 pm »

Only 15% of those whose parents didn't have a college education did so.
Yah!  :D  Me is beat a odds.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #4961 on: September 15, 2011, 07:59:29 pm »

We is odd-beater! *bro-fist*

Hey, Washington is actually pretty good about letting people make their own choices on the matter of abortion. I wouldn't have thought so, considering Eastern/Southern/Central Washington are so backwards.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4962 on: September 15, 2011, 08:15:08 pm »

Go Oregon, I guess?

Yeah, my state is cool.

Mine too, which is why I made the comment :)

We is odd-beater! *bro-fist*

Hey, Washington is actually pretty good about letting people make their own choices on the matter of abortion. I wouldn't have thought so, considering Eastern/Southern/Central Washington are so backwards.

Well considering that the west generally dominates the government, it's not that surprising.  I wonder if there is any trouble enforcing the laws (or lack thereof) in the east.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #4963 on: September 15, 2011, 08:24:37 pm »

I know that the local hospital's doctors all refuse to perform them in non-life-threatening situations, so patients generally have to either take a trip to Seattle or hope that Spokane (the East side's largest city) will take them.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pages: 1 ... 329 330 [331] 332 333 ... 852