Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 858229 times)

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #495 on: June 14, 2011, 04:55:23 pm »

Wrong decision. Very very wrong. That ruling is always going to have an air of biass. They should have redone the trail because now the ruling is essentially useless.
Yeah.  They shouldn't allow people who will be affected by it to judge the issue.  So they should ban gay, straight, bisexual, transexual and any other sexualities of judges, since the change of the definition of marriage will clearly affect them.

I can't wait till we have robot judges myself.   :P
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: June 14, 2011, 04:58:01 pm »

Wrong decision. Very very wrong. That ruling is always going to have an air of biass. They should have redone the trail because now the ruling is essentially useless.
Yeah.  They shouldn't allow people who will be affected by it to judge the issue.  So they should ban gay, straight, bisexual, transexual and any other sexualities of judges, since the change of the definition of marriage will clearly affect them.
It's not the problem that this judge is gay, far from it (I applaud him for becoming a judge in what must be one of the west's most bigotted (towards gays) justice systems). The problem is that there are a lot of judges and legislators that are anti-gay and they will abuse this situation.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: June 14, 2011, 05:01:57 pm »

It's not the problem that this judge is gay, far from it (I applaud him for becoming a judge in what must be one of the west's most bigotted (towards gays) justice systems). The problem is that there are a lot of judges and legislators that are anti-gay and they will abuse this situation.
...And, if they had made a judgement to overturn the ruling, all these anti-gay members of the judiciary and politicians would have been completely vindicated, not to mention the fact that a precedent that gay people cannot be reliable judges would be set.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: June 14, 2011, 05:02:26 pm »

Seems the Citizens United case is invading my airwaves... I'm seeing ads from right-wing corporate interests almost every commercial break (in Ohio btw). The most prevalent are from a pair of corporate groups whose message can be summarized as "kick out the legal immigrants, they took our jobs!" And no, I did not type that incorrectly; legal immigrants, specifically those on work visas, are targeted.

Which is pretty screwed up, seeing as Ohio is generally a crappy place where the demand for those same educated workers coming in on work visas is massively higher than the education system here is churning out. To the point where, from what an NPR report a few months back was saying, there is expected to be a demand for high-tech workers in 10 (or 20, can't remember which) years which is fully double the number expected to actually be in Ohio.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: June 14, 2011, 05:04:24 pm »

Seems the Citizens United case is invading my airwaves... I'm seeing ads from right-wing corporate interests almost every commercial break (in Ohio btw). The most prevalent are from a pair of corporate groups whose message can be summarized as "kick out the legal immigrants, they took our jobs!" And no, I did not type that incorrectly; legal immigrants, specifically those on work visas, are targeted.
The majority of legal visa are given out for unskilled workers. Which is coincidentally also the job market for the demographic those adds are aimed at...

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: June 14, 2011, 05:18:23 pm »

Which is pretty screwed up, seeing as Ohio is generally a crappy place where the demand for those same educated workers coming in on work visas is massively higher than the education system here is churning out. To the point where, from what an NPR report a few months back was saying, there is expected to be a demand for high-tech workers in 10 (or 20, can't remember which) years which is fully double the number expected to actually be in Ohio.

Also from Ohio, also seeing this crap between research study breaks. Seconded verification.

Basically we'll blame everyone except the corporations we're giving tax breaks to. GE paid no taxes, which is still too much.... :) Have problem? Cutting rich people's taxes will fix it....
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: June 14, 2011, 05:24:45 pm »

Basically we'll blame everyone except the corporations we're giving tax breaks to. GE paid no taxes, which is still too much.... :) Have problem? Cutting rich people's taxes will fix it....

I'm sure that all the negative taxes we uncharge those companies will be reinvested in the American economy and not simply disappear into savings or go overseas. Rah rah Capitalism!
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: June 14, 2011, 05:32:50 pm »

I'm sure that all the negative taxes we uncharge those companies will be reinvested in the American economy and not simply disappear into savings or go overseas. Rah rah Capitalism!

Rut Roh Raggy, you mean throwing money at companies isn't the solution to all our problems, life, the universe, and how to make the best damn bunt cake possible? You mean our being so far up the ass of big business that we view the world as one big colon won't work? You mean companies can take the money we give them and hire... in another country so we're effectively subsidizing the destruction of our own jobs?

Um, Blasphemy...? Communist...? Uneducated...? Doesn't wear a flag pin...? Hates America...? Quick, someone give me a slur I can throw at this guy to discredit him!!!! Something, anything, as long as I don't have to think!

Also someone get a mop for the sarcasm drip torrent I just unleashed.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 05:41:55 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: June 14, 2011, 05:56:50 pm »

It makes sense theoretically. You want these rich people and corporation to spend their money so it can cycle back into the economy. But it been shown constantly that "trickleomics" simply doesn't work because the guys at the top take the lion's share and then use any loophole to hold on to it. They guys shouldn't be given bonuses and hope they play nice, they need to be grounded into the dirt until they yell uncle.

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: June 14, 2011, 07:01:51 pm »

Actually, that's the point. It doesn't even work in theory, let alone practice. Trickle down fakeconomics is neither part of, nor can it be derived from any valid theory of economics as far as I know.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: June 14, 2011, 08:31:57 pm »

Here's the thing though...by extension of this logic, no Christian judge (which would be the vast majority in this country) should be able to rule on any issue dealing with seperation of church and state. There comes a point where you can't seperate judges from the subject matter when the subject matter is ubiquitous.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: June 14, 2011, 08:45:39 pm »

So hey guys, remember the Wisconsin public-worker union thing?  About how it basically makes any facet of a public sector union illegal except saying you're in a union?  Remember that it was declared illegally passed court as being in violation of state law on how the legislature can conduct its business, and that it had gone into the state's supreme court?

After one day of deliberation, a 4-3 decision says the law will take effect, and that the circuit court had overstepped its authority by... well, enforcing state law.

In vacating Sumi's ruling, the Supreme Court said she had "usurped the legislative power which the Wisconsin Constitution grants exclusively to the legislature." The court also rejected arguments that Republicans violated Wisconsin's open meetings law.

"The doors of the Senate and Assembly were kept open to the press and members of the public," the Supreme Court said. "Access was not denied."

In a fiery dissent, Supreme Court Chief Justice Shirley Abrahamson wrote that the majority decision was "hastily" reached and has unsupported conclusions. She said a concurring opinion written by Justice David Prosser, a former Republican speaker of the Assembly, was "long on rhetoric and long on story-telling that appears to have a partisan slant."

Abrahamson said the majority "set forth their own version of facts without evidence. They should not engage in this disinformation."

The issue is far from over of course, since now that the court hearing is settled, civil suits can be raised against the law by way of suing the state.

I for one feel this is a hideously dangerous decision and process, totally apart from the issue of the legislation itself.  Legislative bodies fleeing the government, different arms of the executive branch lying to each other about who has authority to publish a law, multiple concurrent attempts to repass the same legislation by ever "emergency" provision the law allows, proposed constitutional amendments to strip power from specific offices to streamline a legislative push, Supreme Court justices at each other's throats over whether a lower court has the power to enforce injunctions against the legislature, and numerous heated recall elections packed with admittedly fake candidates trying to derail the opposing party's nomination process... These are the kinds of things that happen in foreign countries right before the U.N. starts debating over whether to send in peacekeepers.  Obviously nobody's being shot at, but this is not how a democratic government is supposed to work.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: June 14, 2011, 08:54:44 pm »

We're growing too large to self-regulate. Like the humble cell, we must divide to ensure survival. Dibs on not having Nevada or Boston.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #508 on: June 14, 2011, 09:13:28 pm »

We're growing too large to self-regulate. Like the humble cell, we must divide to ensure survival. Dibs on not having Nevada or Boston.
I propose we give Washington State to Canada.  As a resident of Washington, I also give my approval to be given to Canada.  We're pretty liberal, I think Canada would take us.  They'd certainly want everything west of the Rockies.
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: June 14, 2011, 09:32:00 pm »

Balkanization tends to lead to conflicts.

It really is crap though how the progressive parts of this country are subsidizing "real america".
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 852