Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 303 304 [305] 306 307 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 855105 times)

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Chill and Relaxed Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #4560 on: August 29, 2011, 09:20:27 pm »

I'm saying that taking way corporate taxes and minimal wage is not going to help at all.

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4561 on: August 29, 2011, 09:20:44 pm »

http://news.yahoo.com/federal-judge-blocks-ala-illegal-immigration-law-190442307.html

And it seems people haven't learned from when Arizona tried to do the same thing.

Basic principles of federalism, some powers for the states, others for the federal government. Immigration is for the federal government. If you are a state and you keep trying to make laws about it, then the bench will keep tossing them out as unconstitutional on separation of powers groups/federalism, and because you states still haven't learned a thing.... [sigh]
It seems to me (disregarding that it's unconstitutional) that giving out special "non-citizen" birth certificates is the beginning of the road to an apartheid type system.

e.g. what happens when these US-born "non-citizens" have their own children? Do they get "non-citizen" birth certificates too, ad infinitum to the end of time?

There will always be individuals who cannot be deported, as they have no other nation which accepts them as citizens, so the special laws being looked at will inevitably lead to an us/them situation with two tiers (citizens and 'residents').

Once you've got that in place, it would be a small jump to stripping felons of their citizenship, so you'd have a growing rate of the non-citizen residents, felons already lose the vote in many states, so this would not be a big jump. The new "resident" class would have no voting rights etc.

I'm not exaggerating at all when I say a law like that is the first step towards being able to implement a form of fascism where only a minority are true "citizens" with constitutional protections.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #4562 on: August 29, 2011, 09:23:08 pm »

I'm saying that taking way corporate taxes and minimal wage is not going to help at all.
Corporations just push their expenses from taxes onto their consumers, and it discourages corporations from the US. Minimum wage discourages the cheap labor that China's beating our ass in.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4563 on: August 29, 2011, 09:32:59 pm »

It happens a lot less though.

And there you go.  That would be why.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #4564 on: August 29, 2011, 09:33:45 pm »

So let's have everybody go around wearing thongs then.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4565 on: August 29, 2011, 09:40:13 pm »

So let's have everybody go around wearing thongs then.

I'd be all for that.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4566 on: August 29, 2011, 09:50:29 pm »

http://news.yahoo.com/federal-judge-blocks-ala-illegal-immigration-law-190442307.html

And it seems people haven't learned from when Arizona tried to do the same thing.

Basic principles of federalism, some powers for the states, others for the federal government. Immigration is for the federal government. If you are a state and you keep trying to make laws about it, then the bench will keep tossing them out as unconstitutional on separation of powers groups/federalism, and because you states still haven't learned a thing.... [sigh]
It seems to me (disregarding that it's unconstitutional) that giving out special "non-citizen" birth certificates is the beginning of the road to an apartheid type system.

e.g. what happens when these US-born "non-citizens" have their own children? Do they get "non-citizen" birth certificates too, ad infinitum to the end of time?

There will always be individuals who cannot be deported, as they have no other nation which accepts them as citizens, so the special laws being looked at will inevitably lead to an us/them situation with two tiers (citizens and 'residents').

Once you've got that in place, it would be a small jump to stripping felons of their citizenship, so you'd have a growing rate of the non-citizen residents, felons already lose the vote in many states, so this would not be a big jump. The new "resident" class would have no voting rights etc.

I'm not exaggerating at all when I say a law like that is the first step towards being able to implement a form of fascism where only a minority are true "citizens" with constitutional protections.

Pretty much and this is why Republicans want to repeal the 14th amendment, "strict constitutionalism:"
http://teapartynationalism.com/the-blogbri-news-updates-and-morei/item/135-tea-party-leaders-attack-constitution ~ "I want the 14th Amendment repealed. - David DeGerolamo, NC Freedom"

http://www.progressive.org/mplove081110.html
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/08/01/ftn/main6733905.shtml
http://gawker.com/5607617/john-boehner-on-repeal-of-14th-amendment-its-worth-considering

Except some of them just seem to want illegal immigrants to go away and think this will do it or discourage them from coming here. Yeah, that's not gonna work.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 10:10:44 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #4568 on: August 29, 2011, 10:27:01 pm »

Corporations just push their expenses from taxes onto their consumers, and it discourages corporations from the US. Minimum wage discourages the cheap labor that China's beating our ass in.

Minimum wage also discourages [multiple expletives deleted] mass starvation.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 10:31:08 pm by Nadaka »
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #4569 on: August 29, 2011, 10:31:46 pm »

I think you're missing the point. He's not endorsed it as an acceptable course of action, just as one that solves the problem at hand (regardless of how many problems it creates). I'm not sure what the point is, unless it's to point out the problems in shortsighted attempts at trickle-down economics, however.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4570 on: August 29, 2011, 10:33:20 pm »

His original proposal was quite clearly tongue in cheek. But really, if your goal is to stop outsourcing, that's the most effective way to do it.

Maybe his "point" is that you should stop and consider if that's actually the problem you're trying to solve?

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #4571 on: August 29, 2011, 10:40:15 pm »

The us actually offers a tax break for moving jobs over seas, getting rid of that would be the tiniest of a start.

Offer tax breaks for creating local middle income jobs.

Tax imports.

Remove the offshoring tax breaks.

Creating a class of people at risk of starvation no matter how hard they work is not an option. And that is exactly what eliminating the minimum wage will do.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4572 on: August 29, 2011, 10:44:44 pm »

Sweet idea: Have the army seize the assets of people like the Kardashians.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4573 on: August 29, 2011, 10:53:11 pm »

Tax breaks, as they currently stand, do not necessarily create jobs IN THE US. If we want to give tax breaks to create jobs in the US, then we need to add one simple requirement: attach the W-2 or other employment papers proving you hired someone, then you can have your tax break.

It's really simple, but we don't wanna do it.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #4574 on: August 29, 2011, 10:55:10 pm »

Creating a class of people at risk of starvation no matter how hard they work is not an option. And that is exactly what eliminating the minimum wage will do.
Unions should keep the wages at acceptable wages. Add in mandatory unionization or something if you really have to.

But what of the "no corporate taxes" thing? Nobody's really said anything about that.

His original proposal was quite clearly tongue in cheek. But really, if your goal is to stop outsourcing, that's the most effective way to do it.

Maybe his "point" is that you should stop and consider if that's actually the problem you're trying to solve?
Nah, I'm mostly serious about it. Outsourcing is probably the biggest killer of the US job market anyway.

Tax breaks, as they currently stand, do not necessarily create jobs IN THE US. If we want to give tax breaks to create jobs in the US, then we need to add one simple requirement: attach the W-2 or other employment papers proving you hired someone, then you can have your tax break.

It's really simple, but we don't wanna do it.
Tax corporations for each person they DON'T hire, it's brilliant!
Pages: 1 ... 303 304 [305] 306 307 ... 852