Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 290 291 [292] 293 294 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 854386 times)

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Chill and Relaxed Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #4365 on: August 26, 2011, 07:24:45 pm »

No, the point is that women should not have to do that in order to get any attention/engagement from other patrons whatsoever.
I still don't see what's so unique about the womens position here. If you were arguing for society as a whole, I'd agree.

@Virex:
That assumption is flawed, considering as they carter for a different group of men.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 07:26:58 pm by Mindmaker »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4366 on: August 26, 2011, 07:26:51 pm »

Because it is specifically happening to women, because they are women.

Yes, of course no one should be ignored.  But unlucky for everyone else here, I am talking about women right now and how they are treated in a particular group of men.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4367 on: August 26, 2011, 07:29:47 pm »

In general, the prettier the girl, the harder guys find to approach her, so going by that reasoning, those that dress up provocatively should get the least attention, which is obviously not true.
False.

There are many things that factor into "approachability" but I think physical attractiveness has the inverse effect you seem to think it has. That's why it's called attractiveness, after all.

EDIT: I suppose there's some things along the lines of "she's out of my league" that could be going on, but the guys WITH self esteem will be all over her (ignoring other factors). It's not like those don't exist.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 07:39:10 pm by kaijyuu »
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4368 on: August 26, 2011, 07:39:31 pm »

Are we still talking about geek-women are treated by geek-man? How they get ignored when they aren't objectifying themselves?
I mean I've never been to any cosplay-events, but I've seen them in situations like MMORGPs, walking into a Games Wokshop (I've never seen those guys so quiet and well behaved) or generally on the internet and if anything, they seem to be treated like a 'rare breed' of human, put on pedestals etc. which I agree is also an issue.

"Popular Geekdom" apparently is different than "Traditional Geekdom" and has it's own set of issues...

Still, would you mind giving a roundup of what exactly is the issue for you, what you want changed an how?
Because I feel like we are talking at cross-purposes.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4369 on: August 26, 2011, 07:42:34 pm »

No more Tits or GTFO, for example.

Sorry, I am way too tired to say much more right now, but it's that kind of pervasive bullshit.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4370 on: August 26, 2011, 07:45:59 pm »

That is a 4chan thing. Considering the kind of stuff thwt is said at 4chan, I don't know if its soecifically misoginy or rather part of their grneral abrssiveness towards the world...
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #4371 on: August 26, 2011, 07:51:52 pm »

I think that in stereotypical 4chan's case, it's that misogyny is a specific part of their general abrasiveness.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4372 on: August 26, 2011, 07:52:24 pm »

Huh, is that actually used anywhere, besides that one famous board on 4chan? Not to mention that meanwhile there are a lot of people actually giving advice on there, instead of demanding "payment" first. So it's actually becoming "user-friendly" (it's not like males get better treatment there -> "Op is a fag") for women who decide to out themselves.
Also they already have a special board for these sorts of things, called /soc/, which is quite civilized.

... all the stuff you never wanted to know, I know it.

No need to hurry, I need to sleep anyway. I'd just want to hear more from what you have to say, when you have the time/energy.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 07:54:08 pm by Mindmaker »

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4373 on: August 26, 2011, 07:54:54 pm »

Most of the time when I see that sort of stuff it's a (pathetic) joke. It's an insult that they know is stupid already.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #4374 on: August 26, 2011, 07:59:02 pm »

On the other hand, I've seen a thread derailed for a couple pages when a poster mentioned her gender and people started hitting on her by calling attention to how they weren't hitting on her, so.

Although, on the other hand, that was far more civil than the flamewar it interrupted... Hm. I've just had an epiphany. I should stop reading threads in that section of the board.

EDIT: Neither 4chan nor here, by the way.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4375 on: August 26, 2011, 08:29:58 pm »

Bizarre

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/health/food-and-nutrition/728-pound-susanne-eman-eating-her-way-1600-pounds

"I want to break the stigma that being fat is a bad thing,"

Except it is, Susan, it is. Particularily in your case, as you seem intent on committing suicide by cholesterol

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4376 on: August 26, 2011, 08:40:53 pm »

I read something about this woman. She needs some bloody counseling.

EDIT: Just looked below the article. There was an 'imvu' ad with a rake thin virtual model.  :P
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 08:42:53 pm by Gamerlord »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #4377 on: August 26, 2011, 08:42:42 pm »

There's "not significantly impacting your health" fat (which I agree is overly stigmatized), and then there's "you are going to die, and I don't know whether it will be because your bones snap or your muscle growth can't keep up" fat and this seems to fall into that latter category. Though admittedly that is just the extreme end of the larger "impacting your health" fat thing.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4378 on: August 27, 2011, 11:53:18 am »

Misandry? Where?
The assertion that men are incapable of self-control.
I thought it was a given that men are naturally less capable of self-control? I seem to recall that it was one of the effects of a heightened testosterone level?
You are not your hormones.
And a cat can be taught to swim. ;)
Obligatory: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdlvNX3xscE

No, the point is that women should not have to do that in order to get any attention/engagement from other patrons whatsoever.
To be fair, I think a lot of this is happening (specifically the guy's behavior). "Non-sexy" geek girls ARE noticed, but your average geek guy lacks self esteem and doesn't want to be seen as creepy. Pretending you don't exist is a defensive measure and a twisted form of respect. "I don't want to get in her way" "why would she want to talk to me" etc.

I don't want to stereotype here, but I think there's more to geek girls being "ignored" than the girl's appearance.

Our courtship rituals suck and are dysfunctional to the extreme. Even if a guy notices a girl, he often doesn't notice her, just parts of her and you know which parts.... She often knows this and has been taught to "flaunt what you have." Conversely, she traditionally can't really approach him but must "attract his attention," and though recently this rule has been relaxed, this relaxation of the rule was considered revolutionary. [sigh]. See how this forms the perfect storm of "screwed up?"

It would be so much more honest if you could just get to be friends with a ton of people and sooner or later one of them would find you attractive after you knew one another (also, you would have a ton of friends). Instead of this depth, we have shallowness formed on looks which fade and aren't different from anyone else. We then wonder why, after people get together for shallow reasons, we have a 60% divorce rate. I don't understand any of this or why people seem surprised I simply won't give sex of any kind until and unless I really know that person and certainly not on the first date. Somehow, I'm viewed as a prude.

http://www.thebrokeassbride.com/2011/08/an-open-letter-to-spirit-airlines/

You already know I'm going to say SUE HIM! Sue him civilly for battery, a harmful or offensive unprivileged touching by defendant to the person of the plaintiff. Get a judgment against him and garnish his wages and/or bank account, and if you can't do that, then leave the judgment hanging over his credit and head. Also possible criminal charges, clearly.

Honestly, Jurisdiction would be a pain in the ass, because this happened at how many tens of thousands of feet in the air at what speed over which state? Worse yet, what if they were over an ocean? Hum, I'm positive there are rules for torts/crimes committed in airspace, and I shall have to look them up another time. Other than that legitimate wrinkle, you're looking at a nice lawsuit, which might have to be brought in federal court due to the airspace thing. Moreover, the airline is a common carrier, which means they're held to a higher standard should you find a cause of action you can pin on them.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4379 on: August 27, 2011, 03:14:06 pm »

Here we go, sweethearts.

Finally found the comic book store article.

Pages: 1 ... 290 291 [292] 293 294 ... 852