Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 279 280 [281] 282 283 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 853767 times)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Chill and Relaxed Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #4200 on: August 23, 2011, 02:48:13 am »

1. Dang that is confusing.

2. Conspiracies are just one big conspiracy to deprive the Earth Mother her stocks of precious aluminum.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4201 on: August 23, 2011, 04:02:28 am »

1. Dang that is confusing.

=/

Sorry... I was worried it was overly-simplified.  I just took the first few guesses that came to mind.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4202 on: August 23, 2011, 04:04:20 am »

I think he means your user names, not your elaborate historical context :)

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4203 on: August 23, 2011, 04:04:54 am »

... !

I'm going to go be stupid in bed now.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4204 on: August 23, 2011, 08:25:41 am »

*deleted*
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 08:34:41 am by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4205 on: August 23, 2011, 12:05:33 pm »

Ah, the US Government, backdoor subsidizing corporate wages:

http://news.yahoo.com/usa-becomes-food-stamp-nation-sustainable-160645036.html

What's that Corporation (here Wal-Mart)? You don't want to pay even your supervisors decent wages or give them hours? No problem, we the taxpayers will give them food stamps to survive.

Tax... the... flying...fuck... out ... of... large corporations, until they pay their workers something. Why not? We the taxpayers are making sure their workers, even supervisors, don't starve.... I vote we make their CEOs personally criminally liable and kick in their board room doors, while forcibly jailing them until and unless a freaking supervisor makes a decent wage.... This should be viewed as a form of fraud on the corporation's part.

We the taxpayers, should not be paying for YOUR employees, especially your supervisors. This is not a proper way for corporations to contribute to their bottom line.

This woman should be getting her food money from her EMPLOYER, not the TAXPAYER, and it is her employer's fault that this is a problem.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 12:10:45 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4206 on: August 23, 2011, 12:15:23 pm »

What's that Corporation (here Wal-Mart)? You don't want to pay even your supervisors decent wages or give them hours? No problem, we the taxpayers will give them food stamps to survive.

Tax... the... flying...fuck... out ... of... large corporations, until they pay their workers something. Why not? We the taxpayers are making sure their workers, even supervisors, don't starve.... I vote we make their CEOs personally criminally liable and kick in their board room doors, while forcibly jailing them until and unless a freaking supervisor makes a decent wage.... This should be viewed as a form of fraud on the corporation's part.

We the taxpayers, should not be paying for YOUR employees, especially your supervisors. This is not a proper way for corporations to contribute to their bottom line.

This woman should be getting her food money from her EMPLOYER, not the TAXPAYER, and it is her employer's fault that this is a problem.

If you really want to rage, read the comments section on the story.  :(

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4207 on: August 23, 2011, 12:42:12 pm »

"Progressive Rage Thread?"

Corporate Welfare:
I'm upset at corporations not paying their employees enough to survive and that corporation passing the bill off to the government. I'm serious by the way, there should be a law mandating that corporations pay their workers enough so the government shouldn't have to support them.  Why the flying fuck am I and the other taxpayers helping to pay this woman's salary through backdoor shit like this? A company should keep its workers from starving, it nothing else, so they can continue working. It is Wal-Mart's responsibility, not the government to see this SUPERVISOR doesn't starve....

Yahoo Contributor Comments:
And if you were referring to the comments on the source website, yes, those are horrid as a rule. They actually blame the poor woman who is being paid less than subsistence wages. It is Wal-Mart's fault.... The company, Wal-Mart, is getting rich from saving costs by not paying their labor and thrusting this off on the government.

The truth doesn't matter to people:
People have already made up their minds one way or the other and they don't care about anything that doesn't match up with their premade opinion. They have an idea in their head about "people on welfare are lazy and the system is full of fraud." Anything that seems to support that view is "true" to these people" anything that debunks it is "false" to these people.

There is welfare fraud, it is perpetrated by corporations shifting their employment costs to the government.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 12:53:19 pm by Truean »

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4208 on: August 23, 2011, 12:48:03 pm »

"Progressive Rage Thread?"

Corporate Welfare:
I'm upset at corporations not paying their employees enough to survive and that corporation passing the bill off to the government. I'm serious by the way, there should be a law mandating that corporations pay their workers enough so the government shouldn't have to support them.

Yahoo Contributor Comments:
And if you were referring to the comments on the source website, yes, those are horrid as a rule.

Yeah, sorry if that was unclear. I'm totally in agreement. I was just talking about how cringeworthy and raeg-inducing the Yahoo comment section was. Since it seemed to consist mostly of "See, it's all illegals and n-----s that are draining the country dry! We should get rid of food stamps altogether."

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4209 on: August 23, 2011, 12:50:09 pm »

ninja'd:

I get you, unfortunately I was in the middle of post editing. :P It's all good.

Yeah, people are stupid and think in black/white terms. Nothing is so simple. You can't simplify the world, so people need to get smarter.

Please don't quote me.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4210 on: August 23, 2011, 01:42:07 pm »

Abortion provider statistics.

From Shakesville; comments are kind of wonky, so don't read them.  Posted because I thought it was a particularly interesting little piece of data.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4211 on: August 23, 2011, 03:51:28 pm »

From Shakesville; comments are kind of wonky, so don't read them.
You ain't kidding.
no evangelicals can be MDs.  Problem solved!
/retch

I've always wondered why religious people tend to be on the pro-life side of the argument. Seems to me that they'd have it much easier the other way; they could claim the soul enters the body at any arbitrary date.

I'm guessing it's largely politically motivated, and that study seems to be in line with that:
Likelihood of performing an abortion is inversely proportional to the privileging of one's religious views in the US.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4212 on: August 23, 2011, 03:58:08 pm »

Abortion provider statistics.

From Shakesville; comments are kind of wonky, so don't read them.  Posted because I thought it was a particularly interesting little piece of data.
Huh, I never knew there were no Muslim doctors in the US...

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #4213 on: August 23, 2011, 04:07:24 pm »

It doesn't say that, it just doesn't give data on them.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #4214 on: August 23, 2011, 04:09:42 pm »

Trying to dig up the original article (I suspect the omission was due to selective quoting by the article Shakesville quoted), but it's behind a paywall. I'm not on campus right now, so I can't check to see if we happen to have a subscription, but here is what seems to be the correct link.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 279 280 [281] 282 283 ... 852