Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 858482 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #330 on: June 12, 2011, 03:01:30 pm »

Right see, like I said his reasoning is so fucked up what he said had nothing to do with it really.
...What is "it" in this statement?  DeGraaf's "reasoning" was the focus of the article and the rage in this thread following the article, and the reason why his comments were summed up with "women should be prepared for rape in the same way someone with a car should be prepared for a flat tire".

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: June 12, 2011, 03:03:20 pm »

Okay, we are obviously talking about completely different things.

That guy is ether a moron or a complete loser. I have dismissed him from my mind in this.

I am talking about the bill itself.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: June 12, 2011, 03:11:02 pm »

(even though their medical costs overall aren't likely to be higher than those of men).

Actually, they are, because ... well, for one thing, a lot of the medical industry is sort of not geared towards women.

Also, because our organs are internal, it's harder to figure out when we're having problems with them, and our tests for cancer and stuff are more complex (and therefore more expensive).  Plus, there's all damn money we have to pay out for pain medication and sanitary products--and, sometimes, cleaning bills... yeast infections.  The usual issues that come of having smaller veins than the health care system thinks we should have.

And all the costs related to having babies, and what having babies does to your body.

If I remember correctly, our health insurance tends to be higher as a result.

Men are more likely to get in accidents or get killed, though.  I'll give you that much.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: June 12, 2011, 03:19:01 pm »

The 'being prepared' seems like a smoke screen really. Or a sound bite, it's snappy and it sums something up, but it is not really representative of what one should be thinking about.

It's the classic old saw, that "personal responsibility" and "self-reliance" is the cure to all of society's woes, and that everything bad that happens to you is your own fault for not seeing it coming somehow.  Maybe.  I think there's probably more than a little of the hideously archaic "rape is a myth" idea that refuses to die somewhere in the guy's thinking.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

RF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: June 12, 2011, 04:02:16 pm »

Piers Anthony.
Yeah, I'm kind of distressed by this.  I read one of his books when I was in elementary school and ended up not wanting to read it for many of the same reasons.  Not that it was clear in my mind, but... there was something that felt off about the women, and the five pages of credits for terrible puns in the back didn't impress me any more.

I think it really shows the bullshit that some authors put into their work despite how immensely creepy it is. Hell, one of his stories is called, "The Color of Her Panties".

And this is, roughly, the plot summary:-
Mela Merwoman, one of the protagonists of The Color of Her Panties, was introduced in Heaven Cent attempting to trick Prince Dolph into marrying her. Still desperate for a husband, Mela goes to ask the Good Magician Humfrey to find her a suitable mate. On the way, she joins forces with a civilized ogre named Okra and a positive young woman named Ida, who bears a striking resemblance to Princess Ivy.

Meanwhile, adolescent Gwenny Goblin, Che Centaur and Jenny Elf are trying to help Gwenny beat out her half-brother Gobble for chiefship of the goblin horde.

EDIT: Oh, and don't forget these are, roughly, meant to be for "young adults" (teenagers). Yes, a man like this should be allowed to spread his work to that group. Definitely.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: June 12, 2011, 04:09:43 pm »

The 'being prepared' seems like a smoke screen really. Or a sound bite, it's snappy and it sums something up, but it is not really representative of what one should be thinking about.

It's the classic old saw, that "personal responsibility" and "self-reliance" is the cure to all of society's woes, and that everything bad that happens to you is your own fault for not seeing it coming somehow.

You know, I can understand that line of thought to a certain degree. I don't agree with it, but I can understand it.

But. Even then. That is what insurance is for. Insurance is the '"personal responsibility" and "self-reliance."'

Therefor, I submit that this man is ether trying to confuse the issue (in one way he succeeded and in another he failed) or is he really that dumb.

Edit: Also, I don't got no issues with Piers Anthony. I don't agree with his personal viewpoints, but I can still enjoy his books. (Well, not really. I can not enjoy his books, but that is more a function of age then anything else.)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 04:11:39 pm by Criptfeind »

Cuppsworth

• Bay Watcher
  • Cuppy Cuppsworth, Baron of Prague
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: June 12, 2011, 04:11:46 pm »

This may be off topic but why should my tax dollars pay for abortions?

If this was already discussed and is over with, please PM me and I will change it.
Cuppsworth has turned into the 'penny pincher'.

After the great trauma of having some one steal one penny from him he has invented a alter ego who stocks the night and fights crime in the city of Gotham Penny-Villa. With his faithful ward buck boy he strikes fear into the hearts of petty criminals everywhere.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: June 12, 2011, 04:14:51 pm »

This may be off topic but why should my tax dollars pay for abortions?

So, how much do you care about the overpopulation problem?

Of course, you could say the correct answer is "so get her a coathanger--takes care of two problems at once and it only costs a couple of cents," but that would be disgusting, and I'm sure no one in this thread is thinking like that.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: June 12, 2011, 04:16:35 pm »

That is a valid point of course. And the answer is not really that easy to come up with.

But basically, it comes down to why should my tax dollars pay for cancer treatments.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: June 12, 2011, 04:17:15 pm »

And indeed for helping victims of serious crimes.

Cuppsworth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: June 12, 2011, 04:20:16 pm »

So, how much do you care about the overpopulation problem?

Of course, you could say the correct answer is "so get her a coathanger--takes care of two problems at once and it only costs a couple of cents," but that would be disgusting, and I'm sure no one in this thread is thinking like that.

Notoriously little. I have no love for the argument that it decreases the overpopulation problem. Why not just privatize the abortion clinics? It keeps them there and keeps the governments' grubby mitts out of one more thing.

After the great trauma of having some one steal one penny from him he has invented a alter ego who stocks the night and fights crime in the city of Gotham Penny-Villa. With his faithful ward buck boy he strikes fear into the hearts of petty criminals everywhere.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: June 12, 2011, 04:21:48 pm »

Let's separate ourselves from that to a much simpler answer: We don't really get a choice over what our money pays for. We elect people to decide where taxes would be best spent for helping the general population. If abortion is deemed necessary enough then it deserves some money to help out whatever issues it is addressing.

Don't ask why your taxes should pay for something, ask why it is felt as necessary.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Cuppsworth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: June 12, 2011, 04:23:21 pm »

Don't ask why your taxes should pay for something, ask why it is felt as necessary.

Okay, why is this deemed necessary?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: June 12, 2011, 04:25:26 pm »

Rape is a serious problem in the United States.

Cuppsworth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: June 12, 2011, 04:27:35 pm »

Rape is a serious problem in the United States.

Since when is acknowledging rape a good argument for abortion?

Why not have insurance for this?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 04:29:20 pm by Cuppsworth »

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 852