Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 853791 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #2415 on: July 27, 2011, 09:01:32 pm »

If you've ever liked the band Queen and its incredibly talented lead singer Freddie Mercury, then I suspect this may be a good book when it comes out:

http://www.wmmr.com/music/news/story.aspx?ID=1459863
"Although their career continued on successfully worldwide until Freddie Mercury's 1991 death, Queen -- with Mercury and Deacon -- never toured America following their 1982 trek in support of that year's Hot Space album. Roger Taylor recalls the band ignoring the States due to what they felt was a backlash against Mercury's homosexuality: "We perceived, I mean, I think when it became obvious that Freddie was homosexual, we perceived a noticeable dropping of interest."

Yup, and the homophobic comments on Youtube, today are insanely stupid. The man wrote musical greatness likes of which these people still can't understand and they just care that he's gay...?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2omuoO_hIbQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bsy2nlDtSA&feature=related

Sadly, Mr. Mercury died of AIDS in 1991 and gave a prepared statement to this effect from his deathbed.

We have never had a singer quite like him since, though we could dearly use one. :)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 09:26:25 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2416 on: July 27, 2011, 09:23:00 pm »

Aaaand today Queen is one of the most widespread staples of family friendly classic rock, to the point that their music is used in Disney movies and tv commercials without any backlash.  Loved by all but the most hardcore homophobes.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2417 on: July 27, 2011, 09:28:46 pm »

Don't Stop me Now is probably one of my favorite songs ever =/
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2418 on: July 27, 2011, 09:28:54 pm »

Aaaand today Queen is one of the most widespread staples of family friendly classic rock, to the point that their music is used in Disney movies and tv commercials without any backlash.  Loved by all but the most hardcore homophobes.

Honestly I do wonder how much of that is from short memory spans/historical fading. Fact is, the man has been dead 20 years. Many people alive today weren't when he was. In fact, a lot of them don't know who he was or that he was gay. Younger people might know the name "Queen." They don't know the name "Freddie Mercury." And lots of people didn't make the connection to why the band was named that, aside from being English. :)

Ironic how that happened though.

Don't Stop me Now is probably one of my favorite songs ever =/

Certainly you don't mean: :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp0rQNJn0S0&playnext=1&list=PL40B1664F96BA813A

hehe :D [hugs] Mine too. :)

My God that was pure 100% natural consistent talent, because they didn't even have computers to "make it sound better." Today's stuff is shit by comparison to hs voice.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 09:43:00 pm by Truean »

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2419 on: July 27, 2011, 09:34:18 pm »

Would have to be very short memory spans, considering The Mighty Ducks were singing We Are the Champions to millions of kids only a few years after his death.

I honestly believe the humanity of his music reached deeper than prejudice in most people.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2420 on: July 27, 2011, 09:35:20 pm »

Would have to be very short memory spans, considering The Mighty Ducks were singing We Are the Champions to millions of kids only a few years after his death.

I honestly believe the humanity of his music reached deeper than prejudice in most people.

I certainly hope so. :)

Honestly though, the people who comment negatively about him being gay on this youtube video can die so far as I'm concerned:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdXlA6m2qrM
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 09:37:24 pm by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2421 on: July 27, 2011, 09:52:45 pm »

Mind you, Mercury wouldn't be the first member of that band I'd do if I had the option wasn't my favorite member of the band, but he's got such an amazingly beautiful voice. I don't know how anyone could not love him, and that people would take the time out of their day to post a negative comment about his sexuality... bleh.

Queen is, very seriously, the band that convinced me that music was worth listening to.

I actually forgot what brought this up, I just wanted to add my two cents.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2422 on: July 27, 2011, 09:56:15 pm »

I can pick out roughly 8-10 Queen songs I could just sit and listen to right now...  twice
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2423 on: July 27, 2011, 09:57:44 pm »

(smack me if this has been posted already)

Bradlee Dean attempts to sue Rachel Maddow for defamation

Seems like he doesn't like being called out on his bigotry. After all, how could the following ever be taken to be an endorsement of executing homosexuals?

Muslims are calling for the executions of homosexuals in America. This just shows you they themselves are upholding the laws that are even in the Bible of the Judeo-Christian God, but they seem to be more moral than even the American Christians do, because these people are livid about enforcing their laws. They know homosexuality is an abomination...If America won't enforce the laws, God will raise up a foreign enemy to do just that.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2424 on: July 27, 2011, 10:00:14 pm »

<-- Brought it up. :P

Also they are releasing a tell all book in November about the band including why they never toured in the US. after 1982 (homophobia). Given that Sodomy was a crime in the US often punishable by years in jail for the first offense, it has often been speculated that Mr. Mercury feared arrest and imprisonment given his sexual orientation.... Only in 2003 with Lawrence v. Texas were Sodomy Laws in the United States deemed an unconstitutional government measure with no rational basis. Prior to this ruling, Bowers v. Hardwick (1985) stated that legislation based upon "morality and moral sentiment" permitted criminalization of consensual homosexual sex as "sodomy."
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 10:07:52 pm by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2425 on: July 27, 2011, 10:08:25 pm »

Damn.  I knew it was culturally prevalent, but I didn't know homophobia was still in law here for that long...
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2426 on: July 27, 2011, 10:16:30 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodomy_laws_in_the_United_States

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_the_United_States

Under then existing Michigan Law, a first time offender faced a maximum of 15 years for Sodomy. In other states, some prosecutors developed a reputation for seeking out "repeat offenders" or those they knew were gay and going out of their way to arrest as many times as possible for the "offense." :)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 10:18:21 pm by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2427 on: July 27, 2011, 10:42:16 pm »

The Connecticut Blue Laws are also kind of interesting.  In an unnerving way.

And yeah, I am pretty disgusted by the sex-controlling laws in the US.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2428 on: July 27, 2011, 10:58:49 pm »

My God that was pure 100% natural consistent talent, because they didn't even have computers to "make it sound better." Today's stuff is shit by comparison to hs voice.

Oh, I almost failed to mention...

This isn't entirely true.  Queen made pioneering use of overdubbing effects, and their methods have been incredibly influential on many styles of modern music.

I'm pointing this out as something else they deserve a lot of credit for, not to downplay their talent.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2429 on: July 27, 2011, 11:12:47 pm »

Oh, I almost failed to mention...

This isn't entirely true.  Queen made pioneering use of overdubbing effects, and their methods have been incredibly influential on many styles of modern music.

I'm pointing this out as something else they deserve a lot of credit for, not to downplay their talent.

Even if true, it takes absolutely nothing away from the live performances and especially his improv performances which by definition would've been impossible to do anything with. :P

Please don't quote me.
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 852