Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 854094 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #2220 on: July 26, 2011, 01:00:05 am »

On further gender specific issues regarding gaming - I've always said that the slavish attention that people give to their waifus on Mass Effect/Dragon Age and Oblivion games (mods to pretty much turn them into dating sims and Buddha knows what else) essentially turn those games into Twilight for males.
Look at the fanbase for any of these games, and you will find an infinite amount of proof that it isn't just the male players who do this.  It's not really like it's a problem even if you are right, though. Kind of creepy, but not really a problem in any sense.
It's only natural for it to develop as such in a capitalistic free market model though. What majority of people want is what the majority get.
Not really. A whole host of concepts appear in media within the free market, and while some of them fail because they aren't seen as good by most people, we still remember the value of the cult classic. Most of them just fail because they're poor works of media in general, though.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2221 on: July 26, 2011, 01:23:58 am »

True, it's a gender generalisation but I feel it's worth pointing out while we're free marketing at the sexually repressed to encourage such ... lifestyles in society. These fantasies feed into what we have: herpderp machismo and hyper-sexualised femininity fantasies and canned tropes instead of, I don't know, interacting with actual human beings in a humane manner. It just seems to add to a growing problem. It's like crack dealers selling to a bunch of addicts, but instead it's dangling human interaction and sexuality in front of people that then start applying fantasy-world paradigms to reality. It just doesn't work.

And then we wonder why there's such a high divorce rate when loads of people have unrealistic expectations of reality, hikikomori culture becomes more widespread, why kids go on shooting sprees, and all sorts of other cultural ills.  ::) It's not just games - it's television, movies, books, mass-media... society. It's pervasive through culture now, because everyone learns these sort of things subconsciously.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 01:47:31 am by KaelGotDwarves »

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2222 on: July 26, 2011, 01:42:53 am »

Look at the fanbase for any of these games, and you will find an infinite amount of proof that it isn't just the male players who do this.  It's not really like it's a problem even if you are right, though. Kind of creepy, but not really a problem in any sense.

There is definitely an argument that it's a problem for people to be so obsessed with video games/anime/whatever that they become significantly emotionally attached to pixel-people, to the point where it displaces actually human relationships.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2223 on: July 26, 2011, 03:43:45 am »

that then start applying fantasy-world paradigms to reality. It just doesn't work.
Oh it works allright. Pink frilly princess stuff. Do you know how many products there are with pink frilly princesses on it? I DO. And at 3 years old she's LOVING it.
I'm really trying to get her into healthy swords, guns, death and murder and typical male destruction (and construction) play, but with limited success. I am no longer raising my kid, the marketing people at Disney are...

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2224 on: July 26, 2011, 03:48:43 am »

Brother, I wish you the best of luck, especially when she reaches 13+.

NO CAMERA, NO WEBCAMS... EVER.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2225 on: July 26, 2011, 03:52:28 am »

I wonder if pink frilly Ghandis or pink frilly Condoleezza Rices would sell just as well.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2226 on: July 26, 2011, 03:54:09 am »

One of my daughters 4 yrs old) is a Disney addict. This I have no real problem with, as even though thier stories are derivative pap, they at least are relativley moralistic and have a positive message. The issue for me is ensuring she is aware they are just that - stories, not real characters that she should aspire to. This is easy as her favourite is the Little Mermaid, and she totally geyts how she herself isnt half fish. To her credit she isnt grabby, needy or demanding about the near infinite number of products aimed at her demographic - she just loves the animated stories. Now my other daughter (18 mnths old) couldnt give a crap about Disney. She just wants to roll in the mud with her toy tractor. Tried putting a dressy type top over jeans on her yesterday so she looked a bit smart, which went down about as well as I expected.
This is a blank sig.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2227 on: July 26, 2011, 05:04:48 am »

Running the risk of sounding like Vector, Disney "princesses" aren't really the type of woman I like. Helpless victims, waiting for their perfect prince. Ariel's disobedience I like, but leaving home to live with some guy you don't even know at the age of 16? I know her mother did, but I really wouldn't like my daughter to do that...
Belle is more like it, showing courage, interest in intellectual ability, etc, but in the end is all about the prince, not about her, except as a bride, perhaps. Morals be damned, your purpose is to marry some stranger and then you'll live happily ever after.

Time to get those Pippi Longstockings videos out of the closet again.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 06:08:59 am by Siquo »

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #2228 on: July 26, 2011, 05:31:54 am »

Running the risk of sounding like Vector, Disney "princesses" aren't really the type of woman I like. Helpless victims, waiting for their perfect prince. Ariel's disobedience I like, but leaving home to live with some guy you don't even know at the age of 16? I know her mother did, but I really wouldn't like my daughter to do that...
Belle is more like it, showing courage, interest in intellectual ability, etc, but in the end is all about the prince, not about her, except as a bride, perhaps. Morals be damned, your purpose is to marry some stranger and then you'll live happily ever after.

Time to get those Pipp Longstockings videos out of the closet again.

Ronja Robberdaughter too, plx. Also, do you remove the last i for real? It's Pippi D: Jungledyret Hugo ftw too, no idea what they've called that in english.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2229 on: July 26, 2011, 06:11:35 am »

Ronja Robberdaughter too, plx. Also, do you remove the last i for real? It's Pippi D: Jungledyret Hugo ftw too, no idea what they've called that in english.
Oops, that really was a typo, fixed. I never saw Ronja, I'll look for it.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2230 on: July 26, 2011, 06:27:08 am »

As if "Girl Exclusive" parties are rare, I have never known a boy exclusive party in my life, yet I've run into girl exclusive parties a ton of times.
A lan party? :P

No, but is it only wrong if it is guys having a lan party? With all the special rights girls have to gender specific hang-out/comfort/whatever girl parties(According to the TV and other media) It seems weird to curse a bunch of dudes like that.
What was wrong with it wasn't that it was a boys-only thing, it was that they identified the misogynist and hateful guys as the cause of earlier troubles, and then decided to ban girls instead of banning this behaviour. Thus sending a message that such behaviour is acceptable or unavoidable, and that girls should step aside because the misogynists are more important than they are.

It's only natural for it to develop as such in a capitalistic free market model though. What majority of people want is what the majority get.

I'm going to ask my uncle to help me gather of list of the ways men are discriminated too, because it gets so tiring always hearing about the poor women and the evil men.
If that is what you're hearing, then you aren't paying attention.
Love, scriver~

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2231 on: July 26, 2011, 06:32:06 am »

On D&D, I've only played 2.5, and only with mixed-gender groups. I don't think it matters much, the innkeepers' daughter was still sold to the highest bidder, and that was a half-demon perv.

Evil, evil players.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2232 on: July 26, 2011, 06:45:22 am »

As if "Girl Exclusive" parties are rare, I have never known a boy exclusive party in my life, yet I've run into girl exclusive parties a ton of times.
A lan party? :P

No, but is it only wrong if it is guys having a lan party? With all the special rights girls have to gender specific hang-out/comfort/whatever girl parties(According to the TV and other media) It seems weird to curse a bunch of dudes like that.
What was wrong with it wasn't that it was a boys-only thing, it was that they identified the misogynist and hateful guys as the cause of earlier troubles, and then decided to ban girls instead of banning this behaviour. Thus sending a message that such behaviour is acceptable or unavoidable, and that girls should step aside because the misogynists are more important than they are.
I believe there is too much negative bias being attached to the whole incident mentioned in the article. Nobody ever said that the problem they had with mixed-gender lan parties before was of the mysoginistic hate speech variety. Who is to say that the problem wasn't just a bunch of dorky boys feeling too tense around girls and not being able to enjoy their nerdy indulgence?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2233 on: July 26, 2011, 07:01:42 am »

They even used the word misogynists, for Christ's sake. Did you not even read the article? Third paragraph, what the text from the site originally was:

Are there other restrictions? Yes. Nothing ruins a good LAN party like uncomfortable guests or lots of tension, both of which can result from mixing immature, misogynistic male-gamers with female counterparts. Though we’ve done our best to avoid these situations in years past, we’ve certainly had our share of problems. As a result, we no longer allow women to attend this event.

We were unable to make women and misogynists get along, so we barred women from entry. Instead of trying to make the gaming culture less misogynistic, we decided that women should stop being a part of it instead, so nobody will get offended by the misogynist insults.
Love, scriver~

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2234 on: July 26, 2011, 07:02:30 am »

Man, I remember Pippy Longstockings. I was shown that by a camp leader once when my family went camping. Absolutely entranced by it. Thanks for that lovely stroll down nostalgia lane.
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 852