Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 854655 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #2025 on: July 22, 2011, 03:26:51 pm »

Truean:  Would just like to say that your knowledge is awesome to have around.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #2026 on: July 22, 2011, 03:45:37 pm »

Insults, threats and speech while committing a crime are not libel or slander and I wasn't talking about them. I wasn't trying to provide a full and complete answer to ever part of the question he asked.

All my lawyer cost info is second hand, could just be the shitty hand dealt to the people I know who have needed them.

I was wrong about having to be knowingly false though.

I am not a lawyer. I just read a lot. But yea, i defer to the expertise.

Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2027 on: July 22, 2011, 04:17:30 pm »

Thanks SalmonGod. It's cool to have you around. I often disagree with you; but I respect your numerous differing opinions. I like the fact that you are here. :)

Nadaka, s'ok man. You're not entirely wrong on certain areas either. Lawyers cost money which to the average person is justifiably "a lot."  Unfortunately, because society chooses to pay for it on an a la carte, piecemeal basis, lawyers charge a minimum of $200 and after expenses make under $40/hour in my area. Keep in mind, law school costs a years of your life and hundreds of thousands of dollars. So please excuse me if I kinda have a funny look on my face when people compare that to the "average" wage. The average wage earner doesn't have 6 figures in student loan debt and years spent studying (translation: making no money).... I do. Also they don't know how to deal with that feeling you get when figuratively shitting yourself in front of the judge. I do. :P

Also now that I think about it, there's nothing stopping you from slandering or liabling someone during a the commission of a crime. That would just make it one of the numerous cases I sort of look at funny when I read about though.

Summation: lawyers are expensive, but only cause society chose the least efficient payment model.

Sidenote: This is the South Park Episode where Eric Cartman starts his own church. It is singularly hilarious, offensive, and points out some interesting things about televangelists, namely Cartman. (For those of you who might not get South Park, Cartman is evil, Stan is the middleman/everyman, and Kyle is the good one. Kenny, just sorta dies all the time...).
http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-episodes/s04e10-do-the-handicapped-go-to-hell
http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-episodes/s04e11-probably

Religion is fine to the extent it doesn't screw things up; when it does that it starts to be bad.... When Eric Cartman gets ahold of it...that would be the bad thing.... "And God wants you to put a dolla' in the box!" :P
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 05:26:34 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2028 on: July 22, 2011, 05:38:41 pm »

When a privileged group insults a member of an unprivileged group for no reason but their belonging to the group, that is the power dynamic at work.
Ah, that's it. I don't feel anyone is over or under privileged, and if they are, that should be no reason to cut them slack. I think that explains my reluctancy to give privileges to supposedly underprivileged.

Do you not understand the idea of self deprecation?  At all?  You're free to be self deprecating, perhaps making references to your own race to the same extent as black people are (except you're implying that only nonwhite people can be made fun of).
I do, I do, but saying you can only make a certain type of joke - or say a certain word - if your skin is dark enough, is racism in my book.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2029 on: July 22, 2011, 05:41:56 pm »

Do you not understand the idea of self deprecation?  At all?  You're free to be self deprecating, perhaps making references to your own race to the same extent as black people are (except you're implying that only nonwhite people can be made fun of).
I do, I do, but saying you can only make a certain type of joke - or say a certain word - if your skin is dark enough, is racism in my book.

Yeah, I can sort of agree with this.

Alternately, we just cut the words entirely. But I don't think that's happening.

Really, the difference is that when someone of a certain color says it, it's considered an insult, whereas a person of a different says it and it means something much less insulting.

I don't like it either.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 05:43:54 pm by freeformschooler »

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2030 on: July 22, 2011, 05:50:20 pm »

http://news.yahoo.com/debt-ceiling-boehner-walks-away-obama-says-run-221410825.html

God damn it, seriously?

This is the problem with an inflexible dogma of "no raising taxes." They would seriously rather let the country default than ever consider that one.... This is total bullshit. Obama is compromising like hell and cutting spending and social programs which is seriously to his detriment but the republicans don't care. Until and unless they get EVERYTHING they want and he gets NOTHING he wants, they won't listen.

Letting the country default is a form of taxation, because interest rates will skyrocket and the cost of everything will go up.... Further, the economy will be even worse than it is now.... The republicans have put themselves in a no win situation. They will end up costing people something one way or the other, whether it is labeled a "tax" officially or not. There is no escaping that. Except of course they will try and probably manage because their entire culture is to blame Obama.... It's easier than facing the problem.

This crap cannot be balanced solely by budget cutting (even though that's between 2/3 and 3/4 of Obama's plan) and some taxes will have to be raised. Get over it....
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 05:54:20 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2031 on: July 22, 2011, 06:03:43 pm »

It isn't.  The same statement "Person X is extremely clumsy" is offensive if said by a random person Y, possibly self deprecating if said by person X and maybe gentle ribbing if said by his friend person Z.  This doesn't imply that person X and Z show that there's some kind of elitism running through society.  It shows that statements can clearly mean different things if said by different people.

Incidentally, I don't think anyone gives people a complete pass for remarks against their own race.  If it's clearly going beyond deprecation, it's still gonna be seen as bad.

Again, I shall point out that you can gently make fun of your own race if you like, just like the black person can.  You seem to be insisting that you should be allowed to make fun of other people's races because other people can make fun of their own (since clearly your race is too damn perfect to make fun of).

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2032 on: July 22, 2011, 06:08:10 pm »

Are you arguing about a literal ban on racist or vaguely racist jokes, or just about whether they are distasteful? (I can agree with the second-to an extent-, not with the first)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2033 on: July 22, 2011, 06:11:34 pm »

Social norms.  No bans involved.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2034 on: July 22, 2011, 06:12:22 pm »

Again, I shall point out that you can gently make fun of your own race if you like, just like the black person can.  You seem to be insisting that you should be allowed to make fun of other people's races because other people can make fun of their own (since clearly your race is too damn perfect to make fun of).

I thought what he meant was that if a person is white, and they say the N word they're automatically assumed by the general public to be saying it in an insulting way even if they aren't.

Although I can't imagine many scenarios where it isn't offensive, but that's mostly just my own problem, if only due to the most common use of the word around here. No matter who says it, it always comes off a little offensive to me (but maybe that's just backwoods hillbiller bringing up).

And I do in fact make fun of my "own" "race" (but I don't like the term race either as we're all human, just with varying colors of skin and varying ancestral origins).

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2035 on: July 22, 2011, 06:14:19 pm »

-snip-

... Really? Really? Goddamnit, Republican Senators/Congressmen/Whateverthefuck.

Get your head out of your ass.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2036 on: July 22, 2011, 06:14:56 pm »

http://news.yahoo.com/debt-ceiling-boehner-walks-away-obama-says-run-221410825.html

God damn it, seriously?

Reminds me of this article a friend of mine posted a couple days ago.

In May, when Fortune magazine released this year's list of America's top 500 companies, its editors wrote, "The Fortune 500 generated nearly $10.8 trillion in total revenues last year, up 10.5 percent. Total profits soared 81 percent.

In June, a report from Northeastern University's Center for Labor Market Studies found that since the economic recovery began two years ago, "corporate profits captured 88 percent of the growth in real national income while aggregate wages and salaries accounted for only slightly more than one percent."

The fact that they'll cut funds to things like medicaid, which keeps my child alive, before they'll do something about the above fills me with dark and terrible urges.  They really do intend to bleed us dry, don't they?  If our blood were money, they'd be doing it literally.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2037 on: July 22, 2011, 06:15:38 pm »

Ah, that's it. I don't feel anyone is over or under privileged, and if they are, that should be no reason to cut them slack. I think that explains my reluctancy to give privileges to supposedly underprivileged.

Ah, so heterosexual people are not given power over gays (and other folks on the queer spectrum) by simple virtue of having been born straight?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2038 on: July 22, 2011, 06:17:54 pm »

Wait, speaking of "race", I have my own progressive rage.

Why is it that so many applications I fill out ask for my ethnicity and then only present two options:

1) Latino
2) Not Latino

I am not kidding.

Ah, so heterosexual people are not given power over gays (and other folks on the queer spectrum) by simple virtue of having been born straight?

Realistic thinking says no. General public mindset varies on the issue.

Unless you meant something else by that.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 06:20:37 pm by freeformschooler »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2039 on: July 22, 2011, 06:23:43 pm »

Siquo's just going down the route of denying that any problem of discrimination could possibly ever exist, as far as I can tell.

I thought what he meant was that if a person is white, and they say the N word they're automatically assumed by the general public to be saying it in an insulting way even if they aren't.
If you don't want people to assume you're saying an insulting thing then say it without using a clearly very insulting word, or at least keep it firmly inside inverted commas.
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 852