Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 839 840 [841] 842 843 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 854716 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #12600 on: February 29, 2012, 10:47:16 am »

Do I take offence when people stereotype poor eyesight with having a mental disability. Na, not really.
So if anybody is worried that people with lazy eyes or what ever would take offence on their own behalf, I can tell you that not all of them would.
Except that "Derpy" does not refer to someone with lazy eye.  It refers to someone with a mental handicap.  Having watched the clip it seems pretty clear the character was being acting like a horribly stereotyped mentally disabled person rather than someone who had trouble seeing things.

I mean... damn, the whole show comes across horribly in that scene.  The message seems to be "Damn, aren't the mentally disabled a nuisance".

I mean, I wouldn't have forced Hasbro to correct it, but I don't see why you'd complain at them for removing the most offensive elements of it voluntarily.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12601 on: February 29, 2012, 10:51:40 am »

I'd say YMMV. Besides, you eventually hit a point where SOMEONE has to be the bad guy/girl/thing. If it's not an Evil Albino or Evil Cripple, it's a Wicked Stepmother or Evil Eunuch or even....people with facial hair.

I'll grant that minorities -- especially ones seen as far outside the mainstream -- tend to wind up villainized more than most. But my point is that unless the villains are always utterly inhuman, there's going to be some aspect of them that people can point to and say, "Aha! You're negatively portraying X!" Why do you think Nazis are such popular villains? Because nobody is seriously going to step up and defend Nazis.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12602 on: February 29, 2012, 10:58:16 am »

I'd say YMMV. Besides, you eventually hit a point where SOMEONE has to be the bad guy/girl/thing. If it's not an Evil Albino or Evil Cripple, it's a Wicked Stepmother or Evil Eunuch or even....people with facial hair.

I'll grant that minorities -- especially ones seen as far outside the mainstream -- tend to wind up villainized more than most. But my point is that unless the villains are always utterly inhuman, there's going to be some aspect of them that people can point to and say, "Aha! You're negatively portraying X!" Why do you think Nazis are such popular villains? Because nobody is seriously going to step up and defend Nazis.
Now you're falsely equating the troubles faced by disadvantaged minority groups with non-disadvantaged minority groups. In our current society, there is no structural oppression of bearded people and as such the problems that are associated with having, say, evil gypsies, don't count for evil bearded people.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12603 on: February 29, 2012, 11:09:54 am »

In our current society, there is no structural oppression of bearded people...
[offtopic]
There is a stigma to being bearded in parts of society though.  One example is UPS where drivers are not permitted facial hair below the lip/ear line because the founder felt that beards look unprofessional.  There's also a stigma on beards that portray the man as lazy or homeless.
[/offtopic]
As far as the topic... I don't see it as comparing the two.  I see it as pointing out that the specific subsection is not the sole bearer of discrimination in society.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12604 on: February 29, 2012, 11:10:04 am »

Now you're falsely equating the troubles faced by disadvantaged minority groups with non-disadvantaged minority groups. In our current society, there is no structural oppression of bearded people and as such the problems that are associated with having, say, evil gypsies, don't count for evil bearded people.
Try running for higher office in this country with a beard (or facial hair in general). Seriously. There hasn't been a serious Presidential candidate in 96 years with a beard, because the focus groups have flat out said that voters don't trust people with facial hair. Hmmm...why could that be?

Oh. Yeah.

It's not just political office, it's the corporate boardroom as well. Now, I'm not saying we bearded folk are an oppressed minority. We don't have people chasing us down in the streets or hurling random invective at us. But yeah, there are negative effects that go along with it. And certainly it gets some minor reinforcement every time a bad guy on TV or the big screen is rocking the whiskers while facing defeat at the hands of a freshly-shorn good guy.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12605 on: February 29, 2012, 11:14:59 am »

But the motive behind it is the same - identifiably different.

I'm not sure I like the original portrayal - I'd find all of the things that happened perfectly fine if she was already an established and sympathetic character, but this is the most screen time she's had. Fanon-wise: Yes, she's a bit slow, clumsy, and has an eye problem, and the difficulties she overcomes with her earnestness and innocence and dedication are what make her a sympathetic character in the fan community.

If you leave out the theme of overcoming hardship and personal faults to find friends and happiness, and just use those faults for laughs... (I don't have a problem using them for laughs as long as the context is established - a context that exists online but is lacking here)... yeah, I can see how that would be offensive, and I can definitely see why they would want it removed.

The portrayal wasn't the sort of portrayal I was hoping for, that's for sure. If anything, it seems actively harmful to what she's supposed to mean to the part of the fanbase that cares about her, and pretty insulting to the audience.

So yeah.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 11:19:32 am by GlyphGryph »

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12606 on: February 29, 2012, 11:19:36 am »

So this thread is just for arguing on every subject? I read the first post but I'm still not sure.  ???
It's about progressives raging about stuff against progressivism.

So the status quo is bad just because it's what is? Why is change always a good thing?

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12607 on: February 29, 2012, 11:20:50 am »

I'm not sure I like the original portrayal - I'd find all of the things that happened perfectly fine if she was already an established and sympathetic character, but this is the most screen time she's had. Fanon-wise: Yes, she's a bit slow, clumsy, and has an eye problem, and the difficulties she overcomes with her earnestness and innocence and dedication are what make her a sympathetic character in the fan community.

If you leave out the theme of overcoming hardship and personal faults to find friends and happiness, and just use those faults for laughs... (I don't have a problem using them for laughs as long as the context is established - a context that exists online but is lacking here)... yeah, I can see how that would be offensive, and I can definitely see why they would want it removed.

The portrayal wasn't the sort of portrayal I was hoping for, that's for sure. If anything, it seems actively harmful to what she's supposed to mean to the part of the fanbase that cares about her, and pretty insulting to the audience.

So yeah.
This is kind of the impression that I got.  I'm not sure how clearly I stated it, based on the reactions, so far, though.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #12608 on: February 29, 2012, 11:21:15 am »

Change is good when it's good change. Nobody's ever argued that all change is good. For example, outlawing abortions would be bad change.
Love, scriver~

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #12609 on: February 29, 2012, 12:03:09 pm »

On stigma of facial hair:

Which of these gentlemen would you vote for?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12610 on: February 29, 2012, 12:07:32 pm »

Interesting pic, although the use of color vs. B&W skews it a bit as well.

At least in pop culture, facial hair is making a comeback. Unfortunately, it's frequently doing so by being worn by a lot of douchebags. So it's a mixed blessing.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12611 on: February 29, 2012, 12:13:23 pm »

It's worth noting that even a positive or seemingly sympathetic portrayal can be incredibly patronizing, condescending, or offensive. I can't speak for how the fandom acted about the character before she had a speaking role in the show, but even if they tried to portray her sympathetically, that doesn't mean they did so in a way that was inoffensive.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12612 on: February 29, 2012, 12:53:03 pm »

It's worth noting that even a positive or seemingly sympathetic portrayal can be incredibly patronizing, condescending, or offensive. I can't speak for how the fandom acted about the character before she had a speaking role in the show, but even if they tried to portray her sympathetically, that doesn't mean they did so in a way that was inoffensive.

I find that this is where trying to have broad appeal can be a problem.  What upsets the "normal" majority, might actually be acceptable to the relevant minority, thus deterring those would try to help, but not those who would do harm or exploit.  Without appealing to the majority, however, one loses the opportunity to communicate the best interests of the minority.  Hopefully, this is not one of those situations.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #12613 on: February 29, 2012, 12:54:55 pm »

Interesting pic, although the use of color vs. B&W skews it a bit as well.

At least in pop culture, facial hair is making a comeback. Unfortunately, it's frequently doing so by being worn by a lot of douchebags. So it's a mixed blessing.

Pop culture is defined by douchebags, so it' unavoidable.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12614 on: February 29, 2012, 01:07:27 pm »

On stigma of facial hair:

Which of these gentlemen would you vote for?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I suppose that brings a new meaning to "Reductio ad Hitlerum."

I'd vote for the stashless Hitler, because it doesn't remind me of Hitler as much as a mustachioed Hitler does.
Pages: 1 ... 839 840 [841] 842 843 ... 852