Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 835 836 [837] 838 839 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 854719 times)

NinjaBoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #12540 on: February 28, 2012, 01:44:11 am »

I would suggest you look at the crime rates in America and their statistical breakdowns.

??? You know I'm a lawyer and how much I enjoy this particular pet peeve. May I ask what you think I'm missing about the law and criminal justice system that you've noticed? It's just too easy, and that's just what's available to you as a member of the public.... What exactly were you trying to do?

Tell you what, we'll let you have another crack at that one if you want....

Oh, your a lawyer?  Well shit, I know when I'm beat!

*shuts up*

So, uh.. what is it you were saying? :)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #12541 on: February 28, 2012, 01:50:57 am »

It's all good man.

Of course it sucks that this school shooting and the bullying behind it happened. It's just sad that we only pay attention to certain crimes and ignore others seemingly based upon victim characteristics. Same thing with [cough] "high crime areas" [cough]. Unfortunately I've seen this as an excuse to not provide adequate police services to certain places. <-- This should not be the case.

Police protection that's as good in one area as it is in the next; sadly this isn't effectively part of equal protection, but it should be.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12542 on: February 28, 2012, 01:53:50 am »

Wait, what? "This place has a large amount of crime. Therefore, let's ignore it and pretend it doesn't exist whatsoever."
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12543 on: February 28, 2012, 01:56:06 am »

Wait, what? "This place has a large amount of crime. Therefore, let's ignore it and pretend it doesn't exist whatsoever."

More along the lines of either, a.) "Well of course this [horrible thing] happened there. What'd you expect in [place]?" or b.) a tacit underfunding of police in an area that's high in poverty and crime. [sigh]

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12544 on: February 28, 2012, 01:59:15 am »

That just pisses me off so damn much. Smarmy ass bastards. :/
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

NinjaBoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12545 on: February 28, 2012, 02:11:28 am »

More along the lines of either, a.) "Well of course this [horrible thing] happened there. What'd you expect in [place]?" or b.) a tacit underfunding of police in an area that's high in poverty and crime. [sigh]

c) would call into question the actual effect government programs are having on poverty and crime rates in [place].

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12546 on: February 28, 2012, 02:14:31 am »

Do you mean to imply that government programs are not having the desired effect on crime rates, Ninja?
What would you have done in regards to these programs?

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12547 on: February 28, 2012, 02:18:19 am »

c) would call into question the actual effect government programs are having on poverty and crime rates in [place].

Underfunding police doesn't have an effect on crime...? Including when they lay off police officers?

Please don't quote me.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12548 on: February 28, 2012, 02:20:54 am »

Regressive tax policies and unequal access to education certainly have an effect on crime!
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

NinjaBoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12549 on: February 28, 2012, 02:21:04 am »

Do you mean to imply that government programs are not having the desired effect on crime rates, Ninja?
What would you have done in regards to these programs?

Re-assess their stated goals and general funding.  Change their targeted goals and shift funding to areas that are actually producing positive results.  Not all government programs actually do much of anything, where's others actually do something. 

Also, in terms of direct results to crime rates: legalize marijuana! 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKgY5eOlhEc&feature=related

NinjaBoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12550 on: February 28, 2012, 02:28:15 am »

Underfunding police doesn't have an effect on crime...? Including when they lay off police officers?

No, police funding should be untouched, since police as a service is vital.

I'll give you an example.

Take the Indian reservation system in Canada.  Each reservation is given money by the government to improve their standard of living.  For many reserves, this is not the case, due to zero controls the government has over the money spent. 

Even after 40+ years of receiving direct government money, the native people on reservations are still suffering from extremely high rates of chronic unemployment and alcoholism.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12551 on: February 28, 2012, 02:28:56 am »

Sounds like you have an idea of what is failing and what is doing well, care to enlighten?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12553 on: February 28, 2012, 03:23:57 am »

Sad to say, I can't currently watch youtube videos, so a link with no description isn't that much use to me, however...

Adam Carolla breaking down the current occupy wallstreet movement in simple terms for everyone to understand. He dives into the cultural reasons that lead us into this situation, as well as the solution to our problems... Very similar to Ron Paul's chapter on envy in his latest book, liberty defined

So is Occupy the government program that is failing, or the criminal action that is a result or poor government programs?

NinjaBoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12554 on: February 28, 2012, 03:39:40 am »

Sad to say, I can't currently watch youtube videos, so a link with no description isn't that much use to me, however...

Adam Carolla breaking down the current occupy wallstreet movement in simple terms for everyone to understand. He dives into the cultural reasons that lead us into this situation, as well as the solution to our problems... Very similar to Ron Paul's chapter on envy in his latest book, liberty defined

So is Occupy the government program that is failing, or the criminal action that is a result or poor government programs?

He's essentially saying the social engineering that lead to the whole generation of children (people 30-something and younger) being brought up on the whole "You're special, an individual unique flower!", or "You get a prize for participation, there are no losers!"  or "Everybody is equal!"  is what has lead to the current need for something like an OWS. 

Basically, these people have been shamed by life and betrayed by what they were brought up on and taught in school/by your parents.  They are taking out their general anger on whatever social issues just happen to be there today. 

Makes sense to me anyways, but then again I'm naturally crazy!
Pages: 1 ... 835 836 [837] 838 839 ... 852