Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 814 815 [816] 817 818 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 856321 times)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #12225 on: February 23, 2012, 06:00:28 pm »

Well if the person is in cardiac arrest I don't see CPR making the matter worse. I could be horribly wrong, but it seems better than nothing.
Yea you are pounding on a body for nothing :P

Best you can do is still continue mouth to mouth resuscitation and get the person to calm down. 

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12226 on: February 23, 2012, 06:01:39 pm »

Isn't mouth to mouth part of CRP?
That is, two puffs of air and 30 chest compressions?

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #12227 on: February 23, 2012, 06:23:04 pm »

My own rebuttal to the 'potential' argument is that whilst keeping a foetus may open one door, it closes many others. What if the woman, freed from the responsibilities and limitations of pregnancy, stabilises her life and has a planned child with vastly better prospects in life? What if the mother herself, again free from the development (and probable early care) of the child does something that saves two lives? What if she stops a bus full of nuns from driving off a cliff? The main issue with the 'potential' argument is that nobody has a friendly neighbourhood Laplace's Demon to consult about what course of action would maximise the potential benefit for the mother, or the child, or the world at large. As such, claiming that keeping the child is the only way to preserve that potential good is ignoring or immensely devaluing the fact that life will go on, with or without that child.

Also, Max, CPR is just the chest compressions, IIRC: It's cardio-pulmonary resuscitation, it says nothing about respiration. There's a separate thing, the acronym for which i have forgotten, which either includes or consists entirely of the breathing, as cardiac and respiratory arrest don't always occur simultaneously and as such, performing both when only one is needed is a waste of time and/or actively harmful to the recipient (e.g. broken ribs etc.)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 06:24:39 pm by Blargityblarg »
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12228 on: February 23, 2012, 06:26:09 pm »

Mouth-to-mouth often is part of CPR, although for lay people these days they seem to be encouraging compression-only CPR.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12229 on: February 23, 2012, 06:27:01 pm »

To wikipedia!

Standard
A universal compression to ventilation ratio of 30:2 is recommended.[5]:8 With children, if at least 2 rescuers are present a ratio of 15:2 is preferred.[5]:8 In newborns a rate of 3:1 is recommended unless a cardiac cause is known in which case a 15:2 ratio is reasonable.[1]:S647 If an advanced airway such as an endotracheal tube or laryngeal mask airway is in place delivery of respirations should occur without pauses in compressions at a rate of 8–10 per minute.[6] The recommended order of interventions is chest compressions, airway, breathing or CAB in most situations,[1]:S642 with a compression rate of at least 100 per minute in all groups.[5]:8 Recommended compression depth in adults and children is about 5 cm (2 inches) and in infants it is 4 cm (1.5 inches.[5]:8 As of 2010 the Resuscitation Council (UK) still recommends ABC for children.[7] As it can be difficult to determine the presence or absence of a pulse the pulse check has been removed for lay providers and should not be performed for more than 10 seconds by health care providers.[5]:8 In adults rescuers should use two hands for the chest compressions, while in children they should use one, and with infants two fingers (index and middle fingers).[8]

See there is value in looking this shit up when it isn't just subjective.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #12230 on: February 23, 2012, 07:48:45 pm »

I recall that a new protocol was going to come out relatively soon, I don't know how that ended up...
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #12231 on: February 23, 2012, 09:24:51 pm »

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/02/us/politics/for-gop-pipeline-is-central-to-agenda.html

Ok GOP, we need more gas? Drilled at home...?

Bull... Shit.... We need to stop exporting it to other countries....
http://news.yahoo.com/gas-prices-rise-us-oil-industry-stop-exporting-172600312.html

"The oil industry maintains the exports are necessary because domestic demand is weak. The industry says if refiners could not send American-made gasoline to China, India, Europe, and South America, the refineries would have to close as several have already done on the East Coast. Yet, other energy observers say exporting gasoline at a time of rising prices is sort of like throwing flammable liquid on a fire."

???

I don't care what percentage of what is exported, why is any of it? Aren't we importing a ton of it? Also if "domestic demand is weak" then why is the price going up?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 09:28:56 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12232 on: February 23, 2012, 09:28:18 pm »

So what would happen to gas prices if other countries decided to stop exporting to America...?

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12233 on: February 23, 2012, 09:31:25 pm »

So what would happen to gas prices if other countries decided to stop exporting to America...?

How is that on the table?

We'd import (slightly) less, use more domestic gas. This is pretty much what people wanted anyhow with the "Drill baby drill" movement. The whole idea was to get more of it from here, without importing.... What's the point if we're sending it away now?

It isn't a matter of that... It's we import a whole crapton of gas and we're exporting...? It doesn't make sense. We import gas from halfway around the world and send some of the gas we have here halfway around the world.

What is this? Is this a gasoline foreign exchange student plan?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 09:36:12 pm by Truean »

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12234 on: February 23, 2012, 09:36:00 pm »

Don't a lot of countries we import oil from subsidize the cost of oil, making it cheaper for the oil companies here to buy theirs instead of producing their own? I think it was Bolivia where gas was $0.16/gal.

According to CNN Money, Venezuela is at $0.12/gal.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 09:38:50 pm by MaximumZero »

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12235 on: February 23, 2012, 09:36:26 pm »

Gas from North America works better in China, and Middle Eastern gas works better in North America.

Don't question it, it's science!
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12236 on: February 23, 2012, 09:51:00 pm »

Gas from North America works better in China, and Middle Eastern gas works better in North America.

Don't question it, it's science!

Gas prices are bullshit, and yaay!

http://news.yahoo.com/gay-marriage-close-legal-maryland-234006433.html

:P

Please don't quote me.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12237 on: February 23, 2012, 09:57:53 pm »

So, I fully acknowledge that individuals have a right to choose regarding abortion. But this news story chills me to the core -  in a modern and secular western state, that someone could follow such a course of action is disturbing.

In india it's illegal to find the gender of an unborn baby for this reason.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12238 on: February 23, 2012, 10:02:29 pm »

Truean, how much money do you think we could make importing South American gasoline and selling it a little bit below market value?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #12239 on: February 23, 2012, 10:08:07 pm »

http://www.livestream.com/barbarossasfilmnight

Shameless plug, but I/you could be watching the film "Boys Don't Cry". It tells a tale about a transgendered boy in the midwest and what society thought of that. Thought the people of this thread might be interested.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG
Pages: 1 ... 814 815 [816] 817 818 ... 852