Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 811 812 [813] 814 815 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 856374 times)

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #12180 on: February 23, 2012, 04:33:45 pm »

With each day I grow more convinced that Germany is the best country in the world.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #12181 on: February 23, 2012, 04:34:16 pm »

Oh damn, Wiki tells me that it doesn't exist in USA. You guys really *are* barbarians :o
Problem is we don't get legal protection if we do assist and we can get sued for assault.

Yes, that or negligence or a million other things.

It is a question though if you think about it. What if with the best of intentions you try to help somebody and and you end up hurting them or screwing up badly or something. It happens. I mean what do you do? What do they do? What if you do CPR wrong and break their rib cage/damage their lungs? What if you move someone who is seriously injured when you shouldn't (and if you didn't their neck/back might not have broken)? It's complicated.

On the one hand, I can totally see wanting people to help.

On the other, what if their help, while trying to be help, is not?

What do you do when it's expensive and dangerous to rescue people who even want rescued?
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2009/08/station-fire-evacuate-gold-canyon.html
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 04:37:50 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12182 on: February 23, 2012, 04:37:04 pm »

With each day I grow more convinced that Germany is the best country in the world.
You are all still a bunch of racist bastards you know? :P

What a bitch just to get a travelers visa there, i am american too.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #12183 on: February 23, 2012, 04:41:13 pm »

He called it unique.
Just another random point I want to make; that's also useless. That every cell in your body has the same genetic code is one of those nice white lies they tell you in biology class, which is approximately true. Leaving aside chemical modifications to your DNA to change what gets expressed where, mutations happen with enough frequency that there are somewhere between thousands and millions of cells with unique genetic codes scattered throughout your body, though most of them differ only by a single nucleotide. Not to mention all the shenanigans that go on with white blood cells, which I'm barely even qualified to bring up.

Basically, like phrases such as "the 7 characteristics of life", I'm afraid it's a bit more complicated than that.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12184 on: February 23, 2012, 04:47:37 pm »

What if you do CPR wrong and break their rib cage/damage their lungs?
You don't have to do it wrong. Doing CPR at all leaves a high chance that you'll crush the sternum or break a rib, but that's better than dying.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12185 on: February 23, 2012, 04:49:37 pm »

Yeah, I thought that if the duty to rescue comes into play the person needing help is likely to die if left alone.

Oh, and I'm not German, but I do plan to move there eventually.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Durin Stronginthearm

• Bay Watcher
  • I can only love spaceships
    • View Profile
« Reply #12186 on: February 23, 2012, 04:51:18 pm »

You don't have to do it wrong. Doing CPR at all leaves a high chance that you'll crush the sternum or break a rib, but that's better than dying.

Yep. I had First Aid training in December and was told by the paramedic training the class that CPR, properly performed, will almost always break the ribs.

It doesn't really matter though, because if you're in a bad enough state to need CPR, you're probably gonna die anyway.
Quote from: Bill Hicks
I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12187 on: February 23, 2012, 04:52:39 pm »

Germany is pretty big on censorship. I know a lot of my favorite video games are banned there, or explicitly need "german versions" with large chunks of the games removed.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12188 on: February 23, 2012, 04:53:26 pm »

I'm afraid it's a bit more complicated than that.

Your trying to make it more complicated then it is though, that's for sure. Like any of the mutated cells in me are equivalent in any way to it. Yeah. No.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #12189 on: February 23, 2012, 04:55:15 pm »

Yep. I had First Aid training in December and was told by the paramedic training the class that CPR, properly performed, will almost always break the ribs.
That's a gross exaggeration.

It doesn't really matter though, because if you're in a bad enough state to need CPR, you're probably gonna die anyway.
Or not. At any rate a poorly performed CPR is better than no CPR.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12190 on: February 23, 2012, 04:57:24 pm »

True, too bad you got a less chance of the person waking up and shaking your hand thanking you. Sad world eh?

Durin Stronginthearm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12191 on: February 23, 2012, 04:59:15 pm »

I think I'll take the opinion of a paramedic with over a decade's experience over yours, Mr Random Internet Person.

I didn't say it wasn't. It definitely is. But the point still stands. The most likely beneficiary isn't the person receiving CPR, it's the people who get their organs.
I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12192 on: February 23, 2012, 05:01:05 pm »

True dat. IIRC, most states (if not all) have a Good Samaritan law on the books that covers you from liability if you injure someone in the course of trying to rescue them. (Like if their car crashes, and even though they may have suffered an spinal injury, you have to drag them from the car because it's on fire...I've actually been a part of that situation in RL).

BUT...it varies by jurisdiction (at least in the US), and there are a lot of extenuating circumstances that can be considered. If instead of the above scenario, you had a wreck where the car is NOT on fire, and not in the middle of the highway in the dark where you're liable to be hit again or something, and you move them and they're paralyzed as a result...then you could be liable for reckless negligence.

Apparently in Minnesota and Vermont, bystanders are actually required to provide at least minimal assistance (such as calling 911). Violation is a $100 fine in Vermont and a petty misdemeanor charge in Minnesota.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12193 on: February 23, 2012, 05:01:38 pm »

I think I'll take the opinion of a paramedic with over a decade's experience over yours, Mr Random Internet Person.

He's a doctor.

Durin Stronginthearm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12194 on: February 23, 2012, 05:02:23 pm »

EDIT: Most doctors rarely perform CPR though, if ever, certainly not as much as a paramedic.

Though if it turns out he works in ER then I withdraw my statement, I obviously got that bit wrong in that case.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 05:07:08 pm by Durin Stronginthearm »
Pages: 1 ... 811 812 [813] 814 815 ... 852