Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 704 705 [706] 707 708 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 853663 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #10575 on: January 28, 2012, 05:32:26 pm »

Not really.  Information is meaningless without interpretation.  We also all have our own perceptions of the world through which our interpretations will filter.  It's not necessarily a process of failing or twisting.  Just disagreeing.  The only literal failing is to make use of bad information.  I will concede this about very few things because I generally hate it when claims are made about anything like human nature, but this is just a part of the human condition.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10576 on: January 28, 2012, 05:39:34 pm »

To say that stones falling prove the existence of force but that people acting kindly does not prove the existence of divinity is a matter of reference frame.  Y'all do know the story of the five blind men and the elephant, right?  Just because they all learned different things about the elephant doesn't mean that any of them was wrong.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10577 on: January 28, 2012, 05:43:43 pm »

People dont like the unknown. Whatever fills that void is fine (to a certain extent, or course) - the issue is when people assume thier point of view is the only correct one and start forcing it on others.
This is a blank sig.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10578 on: January 28, 2012, 05:47:53 pm »

To say that stones falling prove the existence of force but that people acting kindly does not prove the existence of divinity is a matter of reference frame.
People act kindly because we are a species that survives and thrives off of having a stable society. If we didn't have that we would have gone extinct from preying upon one another.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10579 on: January 28, 2012, 05:52:20 pm »

So anything that encourages, reinforces or teaches that behaviour is a good thing - be it faith, education, parenting...
This is a blank sig.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #10580 on: January 28, 2012, 06:16:05 pm »

So anything that encourages, reinforces or teaches that behaviour is a good thing - be it faith, education, parenting...

unless it encourages other more negative behavior more.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10581 on: January 28, 2012, 06:20:10 pm »

I am struggling to think of an example that teaches both altruism of an inclusive nature and socially destrucitve or harmful behaviour to large numbers of individuals...
This is a blank sig.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10582 on: January 28, 2012, 06:30:33 pm »

I am struggling to think of an example that teaches both altruism of an inclusive nature and socially destrucitve or harmful behaviour to large numbers of individuals...
Social Studies?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10583 on: January 28, 2012, 06:31:37 pm »

To say that stones falling prove the existence of force but that people acting kindly does not prove the existence of divinity is a matter of reference frame.
...Uh, no, not really.  One is something that can be directly observed and tested while the other seems to be assuming a whole lot.

I mean, stones falling upwards on a regular basis would invalidate the idea of a force that pulls things downwards.  Does the fact that many people act unkindly disprove the existence of a deity?  If not, how can you take the fact that some people act kindly some of the time to prove the existence of a divinity?

Y'all do know the story of the five blind men and the elephant, right?  Just because they all learned different things about the elephant doesn't mean that any of them was wrong.
Sure, and that seems to be how a lot of science develops at first (I mean, quantum theory and relativity don't mix too well but they explain their own areas and make predictions very well).  But if the 5 men all made wild guesses about the elephant without even touching it there's no guaranteeing that any of them are right.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10584 on: January 28, 2012, 06:33:13 pm »

"It's pink!"
"No it's not!"
"Then prove that it isn't!"
"... but we can't!"
"Therefore, because you cannot disprove it, it must be pink!"

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10585 on: January 28, 2012, 06:36:39 pm »

Ah, invisible pink unicorns...
This is a blank sig.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #10586 on: January 28, 2012, 07:04:44 pm »

I think you guys are missing the point...  there is a process to science to ensure that the information it produces is as confirmed as possible.  But information is just information.  What people decide to do with that information afterwards is a completely different matter that is not science

Try getting into a debate with a hardcore eugenicist sometime. 

There is a slight shade of difference in the way a person justifies their agenda with science vs the same with religion, but I think it roughly equals out.  Religion dictates morality directly, without any solid information to back itself up with.  Science doesn't dictate morality, but provides solid information which a person can use to back up whatever morality they personally invent.  I find the former to be more often abused, but the latter tends to be far more dangerous...
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10587 on: January 28, 2012, 07:44:48 pm »

Sure it's just information.  As you say, science tells us absolutely nothing about how we should behave, and anyone who claims it is doing so is pretty much making a logical nonsequiter ("This kind of thing happens in nature therefore we should do it").  But I don't think religion is helpful in the other area ("what should we do") either.  There's some stuff moral people could agree with in there, but unless you're moral in the first place you won't be able to identify which bits to follow and which bits to ignore.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10588 on: January 28, 2012, 07:56:55 pm »

Religion used to provide a way of navigating the social contract and various personal failings, which are now negotiated through drugs and psychotherapy.  The therapist is the new priest.  I realize I may be making myself unpopular by saying this, but I'll take the cathedral over the psychiatric hospital any day.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10589 on: January 28, 2012, 08:03:49 pm »

Speaking at someone who was brought up in the Catholic Church and has a bit of first and second hand experience with psychotherapy (and secondhand experience with psychiatric wards and the like), I can honestly say that you are really treading on thin ice by comparing the two. Hell, my own experience aside, the comparison just seems ludicrous. Psychiatric medicine is extraordinarily far from perfect, but to pretend it's equivalent to dogmatic religious education is flat-out ridiculous, and I believe you're more than a little bit biased from your own experiences here. If I were to seek help for my problems, I'd much prefer what is at least an honest attempt at genuine methods of therapy than a priest making me feel guilty as sin (quite literally) for being human. Do you really think you'd be better off with that kind of perpetual self-loathing and denial? I sure wouldn't, at least.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: 1 ... 704 705 [706] 707 708 ... 852