Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 703 704 [705] 706 707 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 853597 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #10560 on: January 28, 2012, 12:51:39 pm »

unless they joined a group that the government had already declared war on.

You mean terrorists like Julian Assange, as identified by many government officials?
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #10561 on: January 28, 2012, 12:55:30 pm »

I don't believe that their war on information is the same as an actual, internationally recognized war. I could be wrong.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #10562 on: January 28, 2012, 01:08:03 pm »

It does have to be a conflict subject to the laws of war. So, is the US actually at war with anybody at all? I could see the argument being made that, say, Wikileaks has knowingly and purposefully supported terrorists by revealing classified information (that's the sort of absurd claim I could see substantiated on the basis that the US has claimed that such activities do support terrorists, and Wikileaks has not ceased to be), and that therefore anybody that makes, say, a donation to Wikileaks is subject to the law.

It's a bit on the obnoxious side for abuses of the law, but it's the sort of thing I'd expect to be tried in the current atmosphere.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #10563 on: January 28, 2012, 01:31:24 pm »

Afghanistan is an internationally recognized war. We don't officially call it one because Congress didn't vote, but it is a war nonetheless. (One with UN coalition forces, I might add. Very much a war.)

Not sure if what we're doing in Colombia counts as a war or not.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #10564 on: January 28, 2012, 01:40:41 pm »

Well, I mean, the important thing is that it be subject to the rules of war, not that it be internationally recognized. Unless that's deeper in the bill. At any rate, the point is that you can establish degrees of separation that make the scope of the law absurd. I know what it's intended to address (or what it's said to be intended to address), but you have to stress test these things. Does it count as "knowingly and purposefully supporting" to provide such support to an intermediary who is supporting hostilities? If so, you can probably establish a chain of "knowingly and purposefully supporting" that encompasses every person on earth. If not, the law isn't nearly so bad, and will probably only come up in clear-cut cases like it seems it's supposed to.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #10565 on: January 28, 2012, 02:18:33 pm »

I don't believe that their war on information is the same as an actual, internationally recognized war. I could be wrong.

Isn't the war on terrorism an officially recognized war, at least within the U.S.?  Many U.S. officials have publicly proclaimed Assange to be a terrorist.  A couple have even said they consider him more dangerous than Al Qaeda.

Not that he's a U.S. citizen in the first place, but the situation still demonstrates potential scenarios.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10566 on: January 28, 2012, 03:52:30 pm »

Isn't the war on terrorism an officially recognized war, at least within the U.S.?  Many U.S. officials have publicly proclaimed Assange to be a terrorist.  A couple have even said they consider him more dangerous than Al Qaeda.

Not that he's a U.S. citizen in the first place, but the situation still demonstrates potential scenarios.
The AUMF authorises action "against those nations, organizations, or persons [the president] determines planned, authorized, committed, or aided the terrorist attacks that occurred on September 11, 2001, or harbored such organizations or persons, in order to prevent any future acts of international terrorism against the United States by such nations, organizations or persons." The authorisation is under the War Powers Resolution. Whether it's technically a war or not is more or less semantics.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10567 on: January 28, 2012, 05:10:50 pm »

He isn't lumping them all together, he's saying that religion is easily abused to promote one's ideas. Which is true. Anything can be justified by "god says so." Abuse of that is inevitable.

In the mouth of the layperson (and also very many educated people), so are science and statistics.  And math in general.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10568 on: January 28, 2012, 05:15:14 pm »

You can't justify anything with science, because it actually has to be....you know, science. You can just make up whatever you want in religion, science and math have rules which are grounded in reality.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10569 on: January 28, 2012, 05:17:01 pm »

... and most importantly have to be open to free challenge, improvement or abandonment, unlike "faith" based ideas which are held to be sacrosanct and above questioning.

That and those of us that work in the field like to think that the burden of proof lies with those who hold Science in disdain.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 05:19:48 pm by MonkeyHead »
This is a blank sig.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10570 on: January 28, 2012, 05:18:07 pm »

You can't justify anything with science, because it actually has to be....you know, science. You can just make up whatever you want in religion, science and math have rules which are grounded in reality.

You've clearly never spoken with anyone who read and loved The Bell Curve, then.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #10571 on: January 28, 2012, 05:22:14 pm »

The thing about science, is it is not prescriptive, only informative.  It tells us how the world works, not what to do with that information.  So science can be used to justify anything, really. 

Agenda + Information + Interpretation = Justification

Whether any such justification is legitimate is a matter of your interpretation against theirs.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10572 on: January 28, 2012, 05:25:43 pm »

...Which says nothing about science itself. Such things are the failings of individuals with agendas who twist their perception of the world to fit it.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10573 on: January 28, 2012, 05:27:50 pm »

Much as one's dislike of religion says nothing properly about a personal relationship with the spiritual life.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10574 on: January 28, 2012, 05:30:53 pm »

I distinctly remember having this exact conversation about science and religion before in this thread. And I still say that science is different because it has a physical presence in our universe.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 703 704 [705] 706 707 ... 852