Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 699 700 [701] 702 703 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 853432 times)

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #10500 on: January 26, 2012, 01:57:17 pm »

Only land war that might happen in Asia would be North Korea. Any conflict with China or anybody else will be nothing but naval power and possibly airforce based from allied countries, there is no point in a ground war there. Really, the brass doesn't see any political will to enter into any large-scale ground conflict at all for the indeterminate future. There will be no WWIII or massive land war, at least no land war the restructured Army could'nt handle. Who the hell has the money or ambition for that anymore? This need for massive manpower was for fighting counter-insurgencies and occupying countries. The brass has decided nation-building counter-insurgencies suck and the US is through with trying to start them, wage them or win them.

Anyways, the Army downsizing isn't that bad. They have had retention control or "up or out" forever, they just lowered the years you can serve before you are considered for discharge. You used to beable to stay as E-5 Sergeant for 20 years, untill you retire, now its 15 years and it honestly does not take 15 years of active duty service to make E-6, some soldiers do it in 6 years. They are just kicking out the marginal performers and the guys that don't really want to be in the Army anyways. There is always the National Guard or Reserves for these guys if they still want to serve.

The brass really expects to meet the new reduced quota mostly from kicking people out for misconduct- drug/alcohol problems, DUI, criminal offenses, ect. They used to do rehabilitation and non-judicial punishment for that, now it leads to a discharge 99% of the time.

The Army has all the people it needs and recruitment is very easy with the shitty economy. It is only taking the best people anymore. The other services have downsized already in the last few years, since the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan haven't justified a military need for too many jet fighters and warships. Now with Iraq over with and Afghanistan coming to an end, there isn't much military need for soldiers and Marines either.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #10501 on: January 26, 2012, 02:40:58 pm »

http://news.yahoo.com/low-iq-conservative-beliefs-linked-prejudice-180403506.html

I am not quite sure how to approach this article because I dislike the idea of dismissing peoples views by saying they are "dumb" even if they are in fact dumb. Though I know I am guilty of this myself.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10502 on: January 26, 2012, 02:49:27 pm »

I thought the uncomplicated, extremist views linked to low IQ part was far more persuasive, myself.

(This is not getting into the issues with IQ testing in general, but just as a general idea, I wouldn't be surprised about low IQ corresponding to extremist viewpoints)
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10503 on: January 26, 2012, 02:51:02 pm »

I would suspect extremist viewpoints are more associated with ignorance than a lack of intelligence, but I suppose IQ measures both in some degree.  No matter how hard you try to separate it out and just test intelligence, it's not strictly possible.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10504 on: January 26, 2012, 02:53:39 pm »

Could be true that the lower your level of "intelligence" (however the hell you define and assess such a thing), the less likley you are to see through the bullshit justifications used by those that hold "extreme" opinions. This isnt to say that extremists cant be highly intelligent mind you, and its 100% the case that you find dumb people on all sides of an argument.
This is a blank sig.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10505 on: January 26, 2012, 02:59:47 pm »

I live in a cave and what is this?
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10506 on: January 26, 2012, 03:09:04 pm »

It depends on what questions you are asking.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10507 on: January 26, 2012, 04:26:30 pm »

IQ is completely obsolete and stupid anyway. I did a mensa test (while not the real one, it is thwir own "take yhis to see if you got what it takes to do the real one" test) and scored in the top 3%, yet I can hardly do basic math. Intelligence is way too complicated to be measured by such a simplistic system. So yeah, I think we cab rather soundly assume that it's sensationalistic pandering.

That said I'm going to continue viewing everybody who are not of the same opinion as me as unenlightened simpletons, of course ;)
Love, scriver~

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10508 on: January 26, 2012, 04:31:48 pm »

http://news.yahoo.com/low-iq-conservative-beliefs-linked-prejudice-180403506.html

I am not quite sure how to approach this article because I dislike the idea of dismissing peoples views by saying they are "dumb" even if they are in fact dumb. Though I know I am guilty of this myself.
All they're measuring is that prejudice is easier to hide if you're smarter and if you're not conservative apparently. Maybe the ones that made the test were liberals?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 05:49:47 pm by Virex »

Canalan

• Bay Watcher
  • A Chainsaw! Find some meat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10509 on: January 26, 2012, 06:22:56 pm »

There will be no WWIII or massive land war, at least no land war the restructured Army could'nt handle. Who the hell has the money or ambition for that anymore?
China.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10510 on: January 26, 2012, 10:04:39 pm »

IQ is completely obsolete and stupid anyway. I did a mensa test (while not the real one, it is thwir own "take yhis to see if you got what it takes to do the real one" test) and scored in the top 3%, yet I can hardly do basic math. Intelligence is way too complicated to be measured by such a simplistic system. So yeah, I think we cab rather soundly assume that it's sensationalistic pandering.

That said I'm going to continue viewing everybody who are not of the same opinion as me as unenlightened simpletons, of course ;)
It tests logic not intelligence.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10511 on: January 26, 2012, 10:06:35 pm »

"Intelligent" also does not mean "educated in mathematics". Supposedly, anyway.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #10512 on: January 26, 2012, 10:11:36 pm »

Intelligence is supposed to mean your capacity to learn and be educated.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10513 on: January 27, 2012, 12:28:32 am »

There will be no WWIII or massive land war, at least no land war the restructured Army could'nt handle. Who the hell has the money or ambition for that anymore?
China.

They won't do a damned thing. They can't invade anything we care about without crossing some body of water, and they can't do that with their 5th rate navy and 4th rate airforce. If they want to invade North Korea or Afghanistan or, I dunno, Mongolia? I don't think we'd be the ones supplying the ground fight in defense of those countries.

I think IQ tests are designed to be better at evaluating dumb people. If they struggle with a simple test then that's probably a good indicator. I imagine they don't work too well in people of average intelligence who understand everything they are being asked about in the test, I don't give much weight to IQ scores for that reason.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #10514 on: January 27, 2012, 02:19:59 am »

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/454/mr-daisey-and-the-apple-factory
Another This American Life episode really worth listening to. It's primarily about Foxconn and the stories of those who create our electronic devices.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 02:28:23 am by alway »
Pages: 1 ... 699 700 [701] 702 703 ... 852