Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 858365 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #105 on: June 04, 2011, 08:01:25 pm »

Yes, I'm female.

I actually find it kind of funny at this point, just how many people take a while to get there.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 04, 2011, 08:07:58 pm »

@ggamer - would you be equally offended if it was some straight couple flouting their sexuality or "saddling eachother"?
Hell yes! that's really awkward! In an ELEVATOR! jeez, bro!
And with this the entire facade of your anti-gay argument crumbles.

You say you don't like it because you don't like people flaunting their relationships. Followed by admitting it is just as bad when straight couples do it.

Based on this, if anything, you should be pro-gay and anti-straight, as straight couples are even more likely to be flaunting their relationships in public. To the point where in high school, if you haven't had a girlfriend, or haven't flaunted that you do, you are typically flat-out asked if you are gay. Or to put it another way, those who are heterosexual actually have a socially driven reason to flaunt their relationships and as such will do so much more frequently.
When it comes to those annoying conversations about 'hey dood, I have a relationship with someone!" someone who is straight is MUCH more likely to be telling you than someone who isn't.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 04, 2011, 08:09:24 pm »

Hm, yes, you are right. I seem to have misread the paragraph. But doesn't the (5) imply that there is at least four other statements possibly covering other scenarios?
Yes, but they all seem to only cover instances in which the rapist is "administering to another person by force or threat of force, or without the knowledge or permission of that person a drug, intoxicant...".  No amount of other statements explaining what things you can do to administer something that prevents you from "controlling conduct" changes the fact that (5) is fundamentally focused only on cases where the attacker administers the drug/ whatever.  The implication that a woman should always be ready to fight off a rape or else it doesn't count remains.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 04, 2011, 08:11:14 pm »

Yes, I'm female.

I actually find it kind of funny at this point, just how many people take a while to get there.

it took me a while last time. then i saw a coupe of your posts and pieced it together.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 04, 2011, 08:22:25 pm »

By the way, it's not just dudes who are flat-out asked if they're gay.  I've been asked if I was a lesbian before and needled when I said I didn't want to talk about it, as though my sexuality were everyone else's business.  Luckily, I had a boyfriend at the time, so I could just give him up as an excuse >_>

Especially memorable was an event in middle school, where a girl was going through the class and getting people's attention one at a time to see who looked her up and down and who didn't.  Unfortunately, I "reacted like a guy," which she proceeded to tell everyone about at the top of her lungs, laughing.  It was mortifying =/
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 04, 2011, 08:28:14 pm »

By the way, it's not just dudes who are flat-out asked if they're gay.  I've been asked if I was a lesbian before and needled when I said I didn't want to talk about it, as though my sexuality were everyone else's business.  Luckily, I had a boyfriend at the time, so I could just give him up as an excuse >_>
Excuse me? What's wrong with asking what way someone rolls? If being gay or even showing (to some extend) that you are isn't wrong, how can the question itself be wrong? It's kind of annoying that currently you've got to wrap a simple question of interest in a 3-page disclaimer or else people think you're trying to insult them...
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 08:29:54 pm by Virex »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 04, 2011, 08:29:01 pm »

Yes, but they all seem to only cover instances in which the rapist is "administering to another person by force or threat of force, or without the knowledge or permission of that person a drug, intoxicant...".  No amount of other statements explaining what things you can do to administer something that prevents you from "controlling conduct" changes the fact that (5) is fundamentally focused only on cases where the attacker administers the drug/ whatever.  The implication that a woman should always be ready to fight off a rape or else it doesn't count remains.
If that is the case, then I can do nothing but agree that it is a very strangely formulated rule. I can't possibly believe it was intended to insinuate that, though, it's too damn unreal. If they did... I'm without words. WTF-moment of the highest sort.
Love, scriver~

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 04, 2011, 08:30:21 pm »

Excuse me? What's wrong with asking what way someone rolls? If being gay or even showing (to some extend) that you are isn't wrong, how can the question itself be wrong? It's kind of annoying that currently you've got to wrap a simple question of interest in a 3-page disclaimer or else people think you're trying to insult them...
It's a problem when people expect you to answer.

Edit, answer definitively whether you're gay or not.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 04, 2011, 08:37:02 pm »

When I'm tutoring students, I don't expect to be pestered over and over again about whether or not I want to sleep with women.  I expect to talk about geometry, and when I change the subject from "whether or not I am gay," I expect that to be respected.

I have no idea what the response was going to be.  Prejudice?  Commiseration?  Fear?  They asked and giggled.

So frankly, I think it's my business, and I should be permitted to choose whom I tell.  There's no problem with asking.  There's a problem with what honestly felt like a sort of inquisition.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 04, 2011, 08:42:18 pm »

Edit, answer definitively whether you're gay or not.
I'm not as far as I know, in the sense that I've never met a man who caught my interest (though I of course can not exclude the possibility that I once will, so don't pin me down on this). Why ask though?

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 04, 2011, 08:45:55 pm »

Erm, sorry, that's not what I mean. I posted it, and then I meant to clarify what I meant when I said answer.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 04, 2011, 08:49:31 pm »

It isn't so much a problem that the question itself is asked so much as the environment which gives rise to it. People assuming with enough certainty to muster up the courage to ask, simply based on the lack of flaunting heterosexuality, is the root problem. It brings to mind the thread from the life advice sub-forum of a few weeks ago in which someone wanted a girlfriend simply because it was more or less a social expectation of them.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 04, 2011, 08:54:00 pm »

when i first started going to high school people kept asking if i was gay. when i asked why the hell they were asking, they said that it was because i didn't have a girlfriend and because i wasn't checking out girls. i told them: a) there are very few girls who are my 'type' at school, and b) i can check out a girl without looking like I am. they didn't believe me.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 04, 2011, 09:26:31 pm »

I'm afraid I'm going to have you elaborate on your view of why you feel that homosexual couples shouldn't "flout their homosexuality" in front of you. If you were comfortable around heterosexuals flouting their heterosexuality in elevators, then it's predjudice, and if you have a problem with anyone making out, or what have you, then why are you singling out homosexuals?

As far as formal prayer goes, that's when there is a set time of a schoolday to pray. Even if this time is meant for all religions, it's a government endorsement of all religions minus not having one, but I even find the meditation sessions offensive, since they disregard that in some cultures, prayer can be as complex as finding your position and facing on the planet when the sun is in a relative position to them, and going through some fairly complex rituals.

PS: and four replies. Anyway duke, you're pretty much in the clear. It's fine to see open displays of affection to be a little off putting, but ggamer specifically singled gays out.

So, as annoying as PDAs are to some people, I don't see a connection between that and the obnoxious restriction on rights that you seem to endorse (if you give it a moment's thought, I'm sure you'll realize that forcing someone to move to another state to exercise a right is just "Sit at the back of the bus, if you want to sit" on a drastically larger and nastier scale).

Repeating what Vector and Chaoticag already said, the purpose of my question was to arrive at this: if that is how you feel, then why are you thinking "I don't like it when gays do X" insteat of "I don't like when people do X"? What makes homosexual people different in this regard?

@ggamer - would you be equally offended if it was some straight couple flouting their sexuality or "saddling eachother"?
Hell yes! that's really awkward! In an ELEVATOR! jeez, bro!
And with this the entire facade of your anti-gay argument crumbles.

You say you don't like it because you don't like people flaunting their relationships. Followed by admitting it is just as bad when straight couples do it.

Based on this, if anything, you should be pro-gay and anti-straight, as straight couples are even more likely to be flaunting their relationships in public. To the point where in high school, if you haven't had a girlfriend, or haven't flaunted that you do, you are typically flat-out asked if you are gay. Or to put it another way, those who are heterosexual actually have a socially driven reason to flaunt their relationships and as such will do so much more frequently.
When it comes to those annoying conversations about 'hey dood, I have a relationship with someone!" someone who is straight is MUCH more likely to be telling you than someone who isn't.

Okay.

Spoiler:  Explanation (click to show/hide)

If you would like to debase me, please don't do so on grounds of belief.

Also, have you ever had a complex understanding of something; for me it's math, and are just not able to put it in words? I know a lot of things about christianity, it just is kinda hard to phrase it.

When I'm tutoring students, I don't expect to be pestered over and over again about whether or not I want to sleep with women.  I expect to talk about geometry, and when I change the subject from "whether or not I am gay," I expect that to be respected.

I have no idea what the response was going to be.  Prejudice?  Commiseration?  Fear?  They asked and giggled.

So frankly, I think it's my business, and I should be permitted to choose whom I tell.  There's no problem with asking.  There's a problem with what honestly felt like a sort of inquisition.

And that is when the issue got rather fucking deep.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 04, 2011, 09:36:50 pm »

So, it's okay that you "just understand" tons of things that let you rant on against others, but they can't "just understand" themselves and think you're in error?
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 852