Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 698 699 [700] 701 702 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 853409 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #10485 on: January 25, 2012, 11:11:01 am »

a gift from God
So... does that mean Santorum's God is a rapist?
Every sperm is sacred
Every sperm is good
Every sperm is needed
In your neighborhood

I'd love to see a news item following this that Santorum's daughter went right out and bought like 12 cans of mace and scheduled an appointment for an IUD.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10486 on: January 25, 2012, 06:14:13 pm »

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/wrongfully-imprisoned-man-awarded-25-million-damages-212356410.html

"Huge Award?" Really? Wow, let's see he's spent over half his life in prison because the police simply didn't give a fuck and ignored every fact in front of them. We're talking 16 years, to an at the time of release 29 year old guy, who is now 32. He was fucking 13 when they arrested him and tried him as an adult! The general public cried for blood and was listened to, despite having no idea at all about anything. The police were told who did the crime via confession; they ignored it, as did the prosecution.

Then surprise surprise, he now has a drug problem and they're going to sentence him to up to three years for that soon. Gee I can't imagine where he picked up a drug habit at, perhaps the prison we wrongfully sent him to at age 13? I also can't imagine how he made a drug mistake given that we gave him no counseling and just more or less shoved him out the prison door once we realized we'd convicted the wrong guy for over half his life. No no, think about that shit for a second. We've taken half his life and ruined his name. He has no friends on the outside, because he's been in for 16 years. Where the fuck was he supposed to go exactly?

The people at the law school, who freed him had to drive to the fucking prison to pick him up, because the state couldn't be bothered to provide him a ride, not that they would've had anywhere to drop him off at, because he has NOTHING. The law school people had to bring him a set of clothes because the clothes he was wearing upon arrival to prison at age 13 wouldn't fit him anymore (which was all the prison would give him). The state wouldn't give him clothes to put on his back, literally. Only because the people at the law school brought him to his mom's house did he have anywhere at all to go to. He literally has nothing, wrap your mind around that if you can. They took, everything from him. $25 Million? "Huge award?" What is he supposed to do with himself now? He never got to even go to high school. He has an incomplete 8th grade education and that's probably all he will ever have, because he was wrongfully sentenced to 50 years at age 13, because no one gave a shit....

This was a 13 year old boy at the time of his arrest. He was transferred to an adult court and sentenced to 50 years in prison. Do we need to be trying a 13 year old kid as an adult? The court was totally unreceptive to evidence of actual innocence especially recantation of witnesses and third party confession evidence.

This particular man's current drug problem is absolutely and entirely the state's fault. This is the same state that didn't so much as give him clothes to wear (literally offering him the clothes he came into prison with when he was 13 which clearly wouldn't fit him at age 29). This drug problem, like and because of the wrongful conviction problem, is the state's problem, which the state caused and the state should fix. There should be no cost or penalty to him, at all. How the hell is it fair to sentence him for a drug problem exactly when the state created said problem?

The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #10487 on: January 25, 2012, 06:23:41 pm »

All I can think is "wow"   :(
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10488 on: January 25, 2012, 06:26:10 pm »

On the bright side, he can afford an entire team of high win-ratio lawyers for the upcoming drug possession trial.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #10489 on: January 25, 2012, 07:24:30 pm »

I can't imagine what kind of excuse the prosecution put forth. I mean... ignoring a confession? Is that even legal?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10490 on: January 25, 2012, 07:29:39 pm »

I can't imagine what kind of excuse the prosecution put forth. I mean... ignoring a confession? Is that even legal?
"The family needs reveng closure, we don't have time to listen to the defense's constant whining!"
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10491 on: January 25, 2012, 07:46:55 pm »

"The family needs reveng closure, we don't have time to listen to the defense's constant whining!"

Probably. I've gotten that crap before. Even assuming it's true, they'd need it from the right person....

Actually no, no it is not. It's not only illegal, it's freaking super illegal. That is to say, if the prosecutor has evidence that that could prove the innocence of the accused, they have to disclose it to the defense. In Ohio, I'm pretty sure this is an ethics violation that can get you in serious trouble with the state bar and Supreme Court Disciplinary Process. Namely, it's Rule 3.8: Special Duties of a Prosecutor.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

On the bright side, he can afford an entire team of high win-ratio lawyers for the upcoming drug possession trial.

Feh, "high win ratio" is a myth, which is why it's unethical (read, you can get disciplined by the bar for it) to advertise that crap. Namely it's against Rule 7.1 as illustrated in the comments:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

At least in Ohio, technically, though I'm not entirely sure about how well it's enforced, it's still tacky, because you simply can't use a "win ratio" for anything at all. It's worthless. No matter how much the client wants to have some indication or guarantee of a win, they can't, ever, at all, without it being a lie. There's a reason the rules were written this way and were far more strict in the past.

Mixed feelings, but I'm inclined to say Shit....

Ok, so here's an organizational problem with multiple consequences I'm guessing people don't immediately see. 1.) The army is up or out. You advance in rank or they boot you out.... This harms lifers. 2.) You already get lost in the crowd easy enough and now the demand on CO and officer ranks are going to be greater even though your tech can absorb some of it. 3.) "Work hard and get promoted" just got harder because there will be fewer officer positions to go into. 4.) Unfortunately, this proposed cut in defense

These aren't necessarily unsolvable though. 1.) They could conceivably lessen the "up or out" policy at least. 2.) They don't necessarily have to cut the number of officers though I'm fearful this might happen. Also, they'd need to make a reduced number of headquarters count for more/be more accessible and more clear (the army is often incredibly hard to understand concerning a lot of things).

It's possible to restructure, but .... You do have to do it right.... Not easy.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 10:01:13 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #10492 on: January 26, 2012, 02:39:01 am »

THIS would be a good time for the governor to use a pardon, it's what the pardon is for, not for pardoning family-killers before leaving office.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10493 on: January 26, 2012, 07:41:25 am »

Edit:
http://news.yahoo.com/apnewsbreak-army-cut-combat-brigades-175948392.html
I'm actually a little confused. Isn't that specifically the Army, not the Navy, Air Force, etc.? M'fairly sure there's certain sorts that like to conflate the Army with the entire US military, just to make an issue sound worse than it is :-\

Also your 4) seems to have cut off, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10494 on: January 26, 2012, 11:24:07 am »

Edit:
http://news.yahoo.com/apnewsbreak-army-cut-combat-brigades-175948392.html
I'm actually a little confused. Isn't that specifically the Army, not the Navy, Air Force, etc.? M'fairly sure there's certain sorts that like to conflate the Army with the entire US military, just to make an issue sound worse than it is :-\

Also your 4) seems to have cut off, heh.
true, called my buddy up from the marines says he hasn't heard about any cuts since they are transferring over to asia now. Anyhow this just cut my chances for joining up for Electronic Warfare Technician.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10495 on: January 26, 2012, 11:48:14 am »

From what I've heard from family in the army, there are a billion better ways to lower costs than firing people.

My cousin is in the air force, maintaining radars and other equipment like that. There was a radar so old that it would stop working literally every week, and replacement parts had to be special ordered. You can guess how much that costs. He saved them millions of dollars by "accidentally" taking a sledgehammer to a piece that could not be replaced, finally convincing them to upgrade.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10496 on: January 26, 2012, 12:16:25 pm »

I'm of two minds about the Army restructuring. On the one hand, the military is ALWAYS in need of restructuring. It's a huge organization, and over time does tend to get top-heavy. And organizational inertia means that dire budgetary conditions are about the only way you can ever force any major reforms through.

On the other hand....I wonder if we're reshaping the mission in the wrong direction. If the future antagonist turns out to be China, and we've been stripping down for less units and relying more on expensive, difficult-to-replace tech gadgets....it's not going to turn out well at all. Ever since the Cold War, we've been transforming the armed forces away from one designed for large-scale warfare to a counterinsurgency/special operations type force. And the question has always been, well what happens if we HAVE another large-scale land war, against somebody who isn't 30 years behind us in technology?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10497 on: January 26, 2012, 12:22:52 pm »

We reinstate the draft?

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #10498 on: January 26, 2012, 12:25:53 pm »

The same way we managed to come out ahead in WW2.

1: don't be invaded.
2: activate the draft.
3: restructure the entire economy to create a war machine.
4: put it all on the deficit.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #10499 on: January 26, 2012, 12:26:47 pm »

Silly Redking, haven't you heard the adage about landwars in Asia?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 698 699 [700] 701 702 ... 852