Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 693 694 [695] 696 697 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 853581 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #10410 on: January 22, 2012, 10:55:15 pm »

Six available religions, but 'no answer' is not an option? I don't even understand the rationale there.
I think it's because the dominant religion in Indonesia is Islam. Some schools of Islamic jurisprudence invoke the idea that you can allow certain religions that aren't Islam to exist as they have (going from memory here) an imperfect but acceptable understanding of God, but not people who don't believe in god at all have to be opposed.

Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #10411 on: January 22, 2012, 10:55:38 pm »

Its a violation of principles according to that article.
Atheism is a violation of Indonesian law under the founding principles of the country. Indonesia, the world’s most populous Muslim nation, recognizes the right to practice six religions in total: Islam, Protestant, Catholic, Hindu, Buddhism and Confucianism. Atheism is, however, illegal. According to Indonesian criminal law, anyone who tries to stop others believing in a faith could face up to five years in jail for blasphemy.
He made a personal statement of belief. He was convicted of attempting to convert people. I don't know how their horrific and unjust laws are supposed to work, but that is just wrong.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10412 on: January 22, 2012, 10:59:31 pm »

I'm more frightened by the mob that came and beat him than the crazy law.

Lynch mobs running wild is terrifying. Laws can be repelled. Crazy people thinking they can unleash mob justice aren't bound by laws at all.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10413 on: January 22, 2012, 11:09:05 pm »

That... I'unno, that's terrible but hilarious(ly hypocritical). Last I checked (Last year, now) at the very least Buddhism is an atheistic religion (Hell, more than one version of it can be interpreted as hardcore materialism, forget the gods), and I think Confucianism is, too.

He put himself down as muslim (and attacked islamic beliefs), though, which I guess was the (legal) problem or something. Which makes things a little more clear as to the why of what happened. Still immoral as all frak, of course.

Sad thing to me is there's parts of the US that wishes they could do that, too :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10414 on: January 22, 2012, 11:26:50 pm »

(In addition to being afraid of trying the guy in the media). The reason the judge won't let the TV News into the courtroom, is because they were making a mockery of his courtroom.... Way to prove him right....

http://www.loweringthebar.net/2012/01/news-team-not-allowed-to-film-in-courtroom-turns-to-puppetry-instead.html

Ah, Ohio.... We accept only the finest stupidity.... Nothing less.... [facepalm]

No no, it's actually real.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10415 on: January 22, 2012, 11:32:07 pm »

I love it
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #10416 on: January 22, 2012, 11:33:16 pm »

Well, that's actually pretty creative. Did they use the actual transcripts from the trial?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #10417 on: January 22, 2012, 11:34:15 pm »

I'm more frightened by the mob that came and beat him than the crazy law.

Lynch mobs running wild is terrifying. Laws can be repelled. Crazy people thinking they can unleash mob justice aren't bound by laws at all.

Sure they are. You find them. Arrest them and prosecute them to the fullest extent of the law. If anyone does not cooperate or hides these men, then your arrest them and prosecute them to the fullest extent of the law. If the local police do not act, you arrest them and prosecute them to the fullest extent of the law. You hunt them down and make it impossible for them to operate. We had to do this in the US and it works reasonably well.

And if all else fails, you can use Jack Pershings rumored method, or Dracula Tepes method of dealing with terrorists. Homicidal religious fanaticism poses an existential threat to liberty, progress, mind and even the future of the human species.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10418 on: January 22, 2012, 11:35:42 pm »

Well, that's actually pretty creative. Did they use the actual transcripts from the trial?

Yes....

Don't get me wrong, like all people in or within earshot of Cleveland, I hate this guy for being incredibly corrupt as county commissioner, but really?

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10419 on: January 22, 2012, 11:36:33 pm »

I... I guess it could be worse?

... I'm not entirely sure how, though. Interpretive dance, maybe?

At least they're trying to get the proceedings out to the public... I guess?

Actually looking at the thing (though not listening, not running sound at th'mo), I have to say I find the coloration and construction of the puppets suspicious. Is it coincidence that the puppet on the stand is both of caucasian skin tone and the most human looking?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10420 on: January 22, 2012, 11:42:52 pm »

There is nothing bad about this at all. This is AMAZING.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10421 on: January 22, 2012, 11:43:21 pm »

All news should be done with puppets, that is so awesome.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10422 on: January 22, 2012, 11:44:32 pm »

I... I guess it could be worse?

... I'm not entirely sure how, though. Interpretive dance, maybe?

At least they're trying to get the proceedings out to the public... I guess?

Actually looking at the thing (though not listening, not running sound at th'mo), I have to say I find the coloration and construction of the puppets suspicious. Is it coincidence that the puppet on the stand is both of caucasian skin tone and the most human looking?

I dunno man. I dunno if anyone knows. We've officially gone into "bread and circuses" on this one. Is there even an answer?

For those of you who don't know. Jimmy Dimora is a bastard, former Cuyahoga County Commissioner, and totally corrupt son of a bitch whom the Feds are in the process of frying.... They could not have his trial in Cleveland, because everyone freaking hates him for what he did. It's worse than Lebron James. In fact they would welcome him back to show they would enjoy his company more than Dimora's and entirely out of spite, because to this day no one will stop talking about that James guy. Meh. There's a reason the FBI kicked in his door and took everything in his office for evidence.

The whole thing is just ...wow. I dunno whether to be scared or not. On the one hand we've finally found a way to get people to care about relevant local issues. On the other hand, the way is puppets.... Welp, we're boned....

Please don't quote me.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10423 on: January 22, 2012, 11:47:14 pm »

News is boring, people want action

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10424 on: January 22, 2012, 11:48:25 pm »

News is boring, people want action!

Action? I'm pretty sure those are glorified socks and or a sewn together collection of oven mits, especially 'round here.

:P
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 11:50:02 pm by Truean »

Please don't quote me.
Pages: 1 ... 693 694 [695] 696 697 ... 852