Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 690 691 [692] 693 694 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 853681 times)

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #10365 on: January 22, 2012, 07:59:08 pm »

I feel naked without my clothes.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #10366 on: January 22, 2012, 08:01:21 pm »

I have no problem with nudists, but the concept is wholly impractical almost everywhere. We wear clothes instead of body hair, and we can afford such thin skin (for cooling) because we don't have to worry as much about getting cut all the time due to clothes.

But then again, we live in the grand old US of A where I've even had people tell me to my face that my feet are disgusting and I shouldn't be allowed out in public without shoes on. (I'm not a nudist, but by god do I hate shoes)
Our culture is just very confrontational. Do you want to fight about it?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10367 on: January 22, 2012, 08:02:31 pm »

The biggest problem (aside from exposure to the elements) that I have with public nudity for everyone is the spread of contagions. People are fucking disgusting.

We wear clothes instead of body hair...
Speak for yourself, stickman. :P

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10368 on: January 22, 2012, 08:02:57 pm »

I'd doubt theres many people who're against the environmental reasons to wear clothes in some cases, cold weather is uncomfortable no matter what, it just depends on how cold.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10369 on: January 22, 2012, 08:04:18 pm »

I have no problem with nudists, but the concept is wholly impractical almost everywhere.

The concept is wholly practical everywhere in the United States at certain times of year, and in many of them year round.

The biggest problem (aside from exposure to the elements) that I have with public nudity for everyone is the spread of contagions. People are fucking disgusting.
Hands, however, are the primary non-fluid method of contagion transmission, and that would be unlikely to change even if we didn't wear clothes. (it comes from most people touching them against their eyes, mouth and face, sneezing into them, and putting them all over everything)

Also, again, I've not met nudists who are opposed to clothes. Fuck, most of the ones I've met seem to be way more into shoes than I am. They are simply opposed to clothes that serve no purpose beyond meeting societal expectations. Bringing up things like cold weather is honestly a bit beside the point.

(And honestly, nudity is a hell of a lot better than clothes for dealing with non-freezing rain.)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 08:06:43 pm by GlyphGryph »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10370 on: January 22, 2012, 08:08:00 pm »

Frankly, if nudism became a dominant culture thing, I'd never let anyone touch me again.  Or, especially, hug me.  No, fuck no, not happening.  I already tend to claw my way out of uninvited hugs, and that's without my paranoia about junk proximity turned up to eleven.

So, there you go.  I'm anti-naturism in general society unless some serious changes are made to social touching and proximity rules.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10371 on: January 22, 2012, 08:10:46 pm »

Hands, however, are the primary non-fluid method of contagion transmission, and that would be unlikely to change even if we didn't wear clothes. (it comes from most people touching them against their eyes, mouth and face, sneezing into them, and putting them all over everything)
I've gotta argue there that this is only so because of clothes. I mean, unless we're going to bleach every chair we sit in, every table we sit at, and everything we touch with the bits of our body that we don't think about...I'll pass.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10372 on: January 22, 2012, 08:13:33 pm »

The idea sounds workable in theory until you factor in weather, the unfortunate fact that most people are horny, and of course the seemingly all too true rule that most of the nudists I've seen are the people nobody wants to see naked. I already see wayyyy too many jumbo muffin tops. Yes, the problem unfortunately applies to guys as well. [shiver]. No thank you.
I'll just point out that the bolded part would go away once the novelty wears off.

Remember, bare ankles was once considered risque. Stop hiding things and they'll stop being titillating.

As for stuff being gross... yeah well I see people with gross features all the time. Unwashed hair, etc. I'm not going to tell them to cover up.

While I'm not really in favor of this, because she doesn't exactly look happy:

Pictured: "cruelty-full 'cosmetics'"

I don't really think we need to go too far in the other direction and just have naked people running around. There are things you can't help, or that it wouldn't really get anything out of trying to and then there's putting some freaking pants on. [shrugs] The stores are all hurting for money now. Please go buy some pants.

I get what you're trying to say about societal expectations being relaxed and the taboo lessening Kaijyuu, but really? How long's that gonna take and will we be able to survive the [cough] "adjustment process" (the unprintable crap people will do until the novelty wears off) [cough] ? Not to mention the large dose of awkward due to old dogs that are unwilling to be taught new tricks.... The visit to grandma's house just got even MORE uncomfortable.

and of course the seemingly all too true rule that most of the nudists I've seen are the people nobody wants to see naked. I already see wayyyy too many jumbo muffin tops. Yes, the problem unfortunately applies to guys as well.
Yes, because there's nothing like promoting the culture of body shame, amiright? We should all we're clothes because god knows most of ugly us are ugly sunovabitches underneath, and we shouldn't have to expose others to that sort of grotesquery.

Honestly, I'd expected a little bit better of you.

But then again, we live in the grand old US of A where I've even had people tell me to my face that my feet are disgusting and I shouldn't be allowed out in public without shoes on. (I'm not a nudist, but by god do I hate shoes)

I personally don't give much of a crap about anything to tell you the truth with one exception: how people are going to screw stuff up. I see some bad stuff on a daily basis, so yeah, I'm biased towards looking at it from how people will ruin stuff. It still isn't a point you can completely write off.

In the long run, people might even adjust to it. In the short run, I .... I take it back. I'm fully in favor of this thing that will give me a short term increase in clients, have more people tempted to do criminal thi uh, screw it I'd be like the dentist giving out free sugar and o well.... :P "Get some cavities kids!" ~ The Dentist.

Honestly though, you know people are gonna screw this up, especially in the beginning. Nevermind that we'd now have bare skin and all that implies exposed and touching everything. Every chair has had other people's butts and private parts allllll over it and now it's a place for you to sit.... I'll pass.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 08:15:35 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10373 on: January 22, 2012, 08:15:37 pm »

As long as you yourself generally wear as much clothing as you claim, I'm not really seeing how it would be an issue? Your clothing protects you from others people's junk just as much as theirs does.

I've gotta argue there that this is only so because of clothes. I mean, unless we're going to bleach every chair we sit in, every table we sit at, and everything we touch with the bits of our body that we don't think about...I'll pass.
Not really, no. Basically, it's "gross" to you. Fine, but the actual hygienics of the issue? No worse than what we have no. (Which is pretty bad, because even fucking doctors are terribly at washing their hands)

Honestly though, you know people are gonna screw this up, especially in the beginning. Nevermind that we now have bare skin and all that implies exposed and touching everything. Every chair has had other people's butts and private parts allllll over it and now it's a place for you to sit.... I'll pass.
"No, girls shouldn't be allowed to wear short skirts. It's going to make rapists rape more. Down to the ankles or stay at home! And I don't want their fucking thighs rubbing against our seats. How disgusting is that?"

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10374 on: January 22, 2012, 08:17:46 pm »

Most of what I've seen about it on the internet that was sensible said something about bringing a towel with you if you're sitting somewhere that isn't explicitly your thing to sit on. So towels would be more important, that probably can't be too much of a bad thing, we already have towels you can wear as a poncho anyway.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10375 on: January 22, 2012, 08:19:15 pm »

As long as you yourself generally wear as much clothing as you claim, I'm not really seeing how it would be an issue? Your clothing protects you from others people's junk just as much as theirs does.

Not really, no. Basically, it's "gross" to you. Fine, but the actual hygienics of the issue? No worse than what we have no. (Which is pretty bad, because even fucking doctors are terribly at washing their hands)

Honestly though, you know people are gonna screw this up, especially in the beginning. Nevermind that we now have bare skin and all that implies exposed and touching everything. Every chair has had other people's butts and private parts allllll over it and now it's a place for you to sit.... I'll pass.
"No, girls shouldn't be allowed to wear short skirts. It's going to make rapists rape more. Down to the ankles or stay at home! And I don't want their fucking thighs rubbing against our seats. How disgusting is that?"

And when one nudist sits in the chair after the last one does?

Can you honestly not see the difference between, "being all upset about wearing short skirts," and "literally wearing no clothing at all?" Ideally, it wouldn't matter. In reality.... :(

Most of what I've seen about it on the internet that was sensible said something about bringing a towel with you if you're sitting somewhere that isn't explicitly your thing to sit on. So towels would be more important, that probably can't be too much of a bad thing, we already have towels you can wear as a poncho anyway.

So, we'd be back to clothes?
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10376 on: January 22, 2012, 08:19:49 pm »

No, actually, I'm cool with nudity in general. The thing is, I work with the public, and this puts me in the position of knowing how disgusting people are. Nudity is fine, people are gross. Worse, the things that people have on them that they don't know about is gross. I really couldn't imagine getting packed into a bus full of people who may or may not have MRSA and not know it.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10377 on: January 22, 2012, 08:20:16 pm »

Yeah I'll agree a fair bit about spreading dirt and such.

@Vector
I'm reminded of that one guy from Frighteners. "You're violating my personal bubble!" :P

I get what you're trying to say about societal expectations being relaxed and the taboo lessening Kaijyuu, but really? How long's that gonna take and will we be able to survive the [cough] "adjustment process" (the unprintable crap people will do until the novelty wears off) [cough] ? Not to mention the large dose of awkward due to old dogs that are unwilling to be taught new tricks.... The visit to grandma's house just got even MORE uncomfortable.
Practical problems are practical problems. They can be overcome.

Yes I'm speaking in idealistic terms, not "hey let's go change this tomorrow." That's not really a point against the concept, though.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 08:23:28 pm by kaijyuu »
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10378 on: January 22, 2012, 08:22:56 pm »

And when one nudist sits in the chair after the last one does?
Wear something over your ass and it doesn't effect you at all either way, does it?

Can you honestly not see the difference between, "being all upset about wearing short skirts," and "literally wearing no clothing at all?" Ideally, it wouldn't matter. In reality....
Yes, of course I can see the difference - one of them disgusts you, and the other doesn't. Is there another difference I'm supposed to be catching?

No one is arguing the case for mandatory nudity, or even a societal expectation of nudity, and since none of you would be required to be naked, I really don't understand the objections.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10379 on: January 22, 2012, 08:23:20 pm »

So, we'd be back to clothes?
More back to robes than clothes. Robes are nice whether or not you have anything else on anyway, partly because of comfyness and partly because you can have an impromtu cape on demand if you run fast enough.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 08:30:23 pm by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 690 691 [692] 693 694 ... 852