Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 857185 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #1035 on: June 23, 2011, 07:58:18 pm »

wtf? it cost's more to go to the doctor as a female in the USA? how backwards is that! that would be illegal here in Australia under Medicare everyone pays the same, usually $0 because everything except prescriptions is automatically covered.

I'd be going to an OB/GYN instead of a general practitioner (because it has to do with reproductive issues), and in all probability (because this is America we're talking about at the moment) I'd be going without health insurance.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: June 23, 2011, 07:59:12 pm »

That would only be legal in the USA and maybe some third world countries. Europe, Australia, NZ, Canada do not allow price gouging on medical.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: June 23, 2011, 08:02:39 pm »

"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: June 23, 2011, 08:04:29 pm »

men tend to have rages issue (kudo for the stereotype btw)
Firstly, it would no more be a stereotype than to suppose that women have breasts.

What it this... I don't even...  ???

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: June 23, 2011, 08:05:02 pm »

This is only a valid addition to your calculation if the Human Resources and Skills Development Canada are inconsistent with their statistics for some reason, and they've quoted the value for average income per week for everyone (employed and unemployed alike) but quoted the average hours worked per week only for the employed.  I guess there's a small chance this could be the case, but I'd like to see the source to check.  If they've quoted the value for everyone or the value for just the unemployed both times, then you should be able to see that this bit of your calculation is wrong.

As far as I can tell the statistics are for everyone. Anyway, I just thought some numbers would be useful to base the discussion off, so do with them as you will.

The point of this is that while there is an income gap, it is not as large as generally claimed.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: June 23, 2011, 08:05:50 pm »

If your father has any medical at all, you should be covered under his plan as a full time student until the age of 26, Vector.

If not, may I suggest a visit to your local Planned Parenthood instead of being price gouged...

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: June 23, 2011, 08:07:35 pm »

If your father has any medical at all, you should be covered under his plan as a full time student until the age of 26, Vector.

If not, may I suggest a visit to your local Planned Parenthood instead of being price gouged...

I don't have troubles myself, but I'm also not working--and even when I do go work, I will be a woman with at least a BA in math who speaks 5 languages semi-fluently.

So, uh, this isn't about me.

Also, Planned Parenthood is being defunded.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: June 23, 2011, 08:08:51 pm »

Yeah, well.  Our medical system has some other issues.

I actually yelled out "Wahhh??" when i read that headline.

Vector: Move to Australia and bring your friends.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: June 23, 2011, 08:09:49 pm »

According to who? The Republican efforts to block funding failed.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: June 23, 2011, 08:12:26 pm »

According to who? The Republican efforts to block funding failed.
Not federal, state. Indiana cut them off entierly. To be fair, that's Indiana. I imagine this wouldn't fly in the vast majority of the states.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: June 23, 2011, 08:18:26 pm »

I don't have troubles myself, but I'm also not working--and even when I do go work, I will be a woman with at least a BA in math who speaks 5 languages semi-fluently.
Full time students are covered, you don't have to be working to qualify to be under his health insurance.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: June 23, 2011, 08:19:34 pm »

... I meant that when I'm no longer covered under his insurance, I will, in all probability, be able to get some good health insurance.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: June 23, 2011, 08:24:49 pm »

Ahh my bad.

That being said I'm typing up my resume for volunteer works at Planned Parenthood right now.

Also our local hospital and going to start tutoring.

There's always blue shield if the job market is complete shit.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: June 23, 2011, 09:41:24 pm »

Catching up again... forgive me for replying to/commenting on stuff already buried pages deep and for the wall of text.

Glad there was a sensible person at the hospital you went to, and good luck with the sessions. Hopefully a helpful therapist can talk some sense into the oddballs... seriously, what kid -isn't- hyperactive at three?

We had a couple sessions where some therapists gave us some advice and consoled my wife for feeling overburdened, but didn't recognize any serious problems.  They saw things basically the same way I did. 

That was a long time ago now.  Hiro is 6 years old and doing great.

Yeah. You could be more resolute here. I know it's hard, but your wife has (more than average but that's even besides the point as I've never met anyone who doesn't have them) issues, and if they start to damage your kid, it's time to get unpopular.

Yeah... but in my case it's not just difficult... it's dangerous.  She has tried to kill me before (twice, both while trying to stop her from harming herself).  While those were very dark times, and I don't think that will ever happen again... she still gets very destructive in conflict.  And as the stay-at-home mother, she has the greatest leverage in decisions of this sort.

But it all worked out ok, anyway.  No need to kidnap and flee or anything, which is what it comes down to in a clash of mother vs father parenting rights.

I've seen my aspie brother drugged to oblivion.
Hey, cool, I got a veggie brother, too! Zombiedrugs yay. ((Is it okay to say "asparagus" if they drugged him into a vegetable? ))

This is actually a really complex issue for me....  They tried various combinations of drugs for him for something like 8 years.  Towards the end of high school, they found a recipe that my parents absolutely loved.  It basically robbed him of all humanity.  He had no volition.  At all.  He did exactly what he was told, when he was told to do it.  When he wasn't being told to do something, he went to sleep.  All he did for several months was sleep, go to school, do homework, and sleep... and barely eat.  After so much of that, he began refusing to take anymore drugs.  He said he didn't even feel human, and was miserable.  I supported him in this.  That was shortly before going off to college, which his parents are paying for completely.  He has absolutely no responsibilities other than school, and he has incredible talent as a programmer.  He's totally wasting it.  He fails everything.  He has no self-discipline, and has grown very rebellious.  I've actually encouraged him to get back on the drugs, because he's wasting the biggest opportunity of his life.  He can work out his issues after he's secured a future.  He kind of agrees, but doesn't actually follow through and continues failing.  And I'm the only person who can even talk to him about this, as he just completely ignores anyone else.  I feel like I have a responsibility to try and put him on his feet, but I'm barely keeping on top of my life as it is and I really don't know how to get through to him.

I doubt anyone here is making that assertion

I know they are not right now. But that sorta medicinal hate can spring up like wildfire around here. In a snap you have whole pages dedicated to saying the whole pharmaceutical industry is is giant conspiracy that wants to make zombies out of everyone. I just wanted to make sure that I was here actively if it started.

I admit I dabble in a bit of this.  I don't believe that psychiatric medicine is absolute evil, but it seems to me like it more often does harm than good... and that's besides the existential horror I find in it.  There's the idea I just can't get around that brute force chemical alteration of a person is an attack on the very essence of their being.

---

On Gender Identity:  I've never really payed much attention to this.  I think this got me in a lot of trouble when I was younger.  Most people thought I was gay in the hell-hole small town where I grew up, and I got a lot of hate for it.  Though I never faced hardcore gay bashing, which I can only assume is because they didn't want to actually hurt someone over an assumption.  I used to think that it was only because I didn't have a girlfriend.  I was socially awkward and thought teen dating was stupid anyway.  A couple times, people tried to set me up with someone just to prove I wasn't gay, but I only got angry at the idea.  Only now looking back on it am I able to pick out ways that I actually acted sort of feminine.  For instance, I often cross my legs like a girl.  I have a very passive personality, and tended to avoid or endure confrontations rather than asserting dominance as most other young guys would.  I'm kind of dainty in the way I handle objects with my hands.  After moving away from that place, I did things like dye my hair pink, grow it to below shoulder-blade length (I should mention that every time I went out in public with long hair, someone would mistake me for a girl), wear pink or even a couple girl's t-shirts, allow myself to be crossdressed for other's amusement a couple times, show no discomfort if a guy hit on me, etc.  I definitely identify as male and straight, but just never felt the need to meet requirements for being that and didn't understand when I was a kid that there were such expectations.  Now that I'm aware of that, I still don't, but I guess I've learned to get away with it more.

---

On Sick Days:  Ugh.  It's so stupid that this is an issue.  Yes, it's easy to say that a person shouldn't get paid for not doing work... but that creates a situation where people are going to show up to work ill, either because they really want or need that pay and then EVERYONE SUFFERS FOR IT.  It is sadistic and detrimental to the health of the entire human race to operate in this fashion.  Everyone will encounter problems in their life.  The very notion of society is that people are dependent on and support each other.  This is the reason that society and everything it stands for and does is supposed to exist.  But modern society does exactly the opposite.  It punishes people for human vulnerabilities, and rewards those who have the least sense of responsibility to or connection with other human beings.  It's beyond broken.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 11:33:20 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: June 23, 2011, 10:00:12 pm »

Posted by: Zrk2
@Truean: So the company is liable to support someone even if they don't come in? Employment is a two way street, you work for the company and the company pays you, you cannot demand pay without earning it. But that's a whole other debate.

It never ceases to amaze me how people point out the blatantly obvious as if I didn't know it. I mean really, as if I never considered that work is a two way street, or that you don't get pay you don't earn?

As a general rule, life is more complex than that. If your answer fits on a bumper sticker, then you're not thinking hard enough and something will fail for lack of thought..... In other words, of course.... Let me break this down into three (3) parts for you.

1.) Employable people who are temporarily sick:
If you are sick and have a communicable disease that I can catch, even the flu, and you work for me, I will HAPPILY PAY YOU TO STAY HOME SO I DON"T CATCH IT. Please, please, do not come to work hacking and sneezing. You will get both me, my other employees and customers sick. If I'm sick, then I can't work and be productive and stuff in the business will not get done. <----- This is bad for business. Moreover, if you come to work and get my other employees sick, then I am now short handed and again, can't get the business' stuff done and make money. Moreover, health insurance is expensive as hell and if the workplace pays for it, then this becomes incredibly expensive for you NOT to stay home. The insurance company audits how much the company uses in health care every year and if you get 5 people from work sick, then the insurance company will raise the company's health insurance rates because it had to pay for five doctors instead of 1! In the interest of saving myself and my business money, if you work for me and are genuinely sick, please, please, stay home because I don't want what you have. That said, if you work for me and lie about being sick to play hookie, you are not only fired FOR CAUSE but I will blacken your name with a terrible review for your next prospective employer for what you've done: lying, abusing my good sense and compassion, and costing me money for faking sick). This is a pet peeve of mine. If you lie to me about being sick at work then may God have Mercy on you, because I won't.

2.) Employable people who are permanently or "non-short term" sick:
This is trickier.

Periodic absence for health reasons:
Maybe you have a disease like Crones or something that occasionally makes you take off work and are still a productive employee overall.

Let me explain your job for you if you work for me:
Your job is NOT to punch a time clock and phone it in. (in law it is not to "bill hours" which is an administrative pain in the ass only). Your job is, without qualification to do something that makes me money, or saves me money within the bounds of law and ethics and to cover the cost of employing you plus some more for me as your employer as a return on investment. This is the only way I can continue to afford to employ you.

Smart employers care less about WHEN you are there, as WHAT YOU DO WHEN YOU ARE THERE. If it all averages out and you get the damn job done, then kudos.

I do not want time punchers: guys who come in and just sort of phone it in, but hey, he "worked 8 hours." Screw them, sideways and on fire.... I'm not paying anyone to sit around and take up space, which I'm renting, for any amount of time. I don't want people who treat work like they are a kid practicing playing piano because they are forced to. You know, sorta putz through it taking far too many bathroom breaks and seeing if you can duck out early..."just this once mom...?"

Summation on this point: I don't care, and a smart boss wouldn't care, how many hours you were at work. I care what you did during those hours.

A boss who has his head out of his ass asks:
Are you pulling your weight?
Are you pulling your weight plus some extra to make the company a profit on your labor?

If the answers to those questions aren't both yes, for a good majority of the people in the company at the very least, then it doesn't matter who shows up when, because the place is sinking and not treading water. At some point, if this continues, there won't be a place to show up for work to....

3.) The unemployable sick

This is where it gets really, really tricky and I don't know an iron clad answer, because there might not be one. This one effects society as a whole, each and every one of us.  Right down to brass tacks we've got three options

a.) Support these people, somehow, maybe through the government or dividing cost some other way?
b.) Support them at least partially while trying to have them contribute to society in some way they can.
c.) Let them starve and die.

I'm really not comfortable with the last one, are you? The stark reality of finding a homeless man who froze to death in the doorway of a downtown shop struck me hard. He either wasn't faking it or he's the most dedicated method actor I've ever heard of....  a,b, or c... which is it gonna be?  or if you've got a "d" somewhere I'd love to hear it. Reality sucks.
Unfortunately, most bosses don't think like I do and that's one of the reasons why the world is fucked up. They aren't right because what they're saying makes sense, they're right because if you disagree with them you won't have a job or a paycheck, period. That's pretty powerful. It's the tyrant's argument, "Shut up and do what I say or I'll bash your head in [fire your ass]." It's not right, but it's very convincing....

Do whatever the crap your boss says and don't mention any of my ideas at work or in regards to work. I don't want to be responsible for anyone getting in trouble at work.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 10:27:44 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 852