Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 676 677 [678] 679 680 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 853563 times)

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #10155 on: January 19, 2012, 04:42:56 pm »

C): the interview at the end where the husband says nothing through out the whole thing, and when asked what he thinks of the women having the power, the wife speaks for him saying "He's okay with it".

How do you know he wasn't OK with it? Did you speak with him?
I can't say for certain what the man's opinion is, but I know that if the roles were reversed you'd be screaming bloody murder form the rooftop

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10156 on: January 19, 2012, 04:47:02 pm »

Immediately jumping to the conclusion that this is oppression is prety radical if you ask me.

Excuse me, I have to go lie down for a while.
Yeah, I.....I think I'm....just going to.....read some other threads.....for a while......
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10157 on: January 19, 2012, 04:49:59 pm »

Wow. I actually feel kind of guilty for posting that link now.
This is a blank sig.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10158 on: January 19, 2012, 04:53:45 pm »

Virex, my opinion on you in this thread is leaning back towards troll (or "parodist" or whatever).  Try to stop doing this.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10159 on: January 19, 2012, 04:55:06 pm »

I kind of agree with Virex to be honest.  A lot in that article did feel pretty anecdotal, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was embellished to be controversial and news-worthy.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10160 on: January 19, 2012, 04:58:51 pm »

I kind of agree with Virex to be honest.  A lot in that article did feel pretty anecdotal, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was embellished to be controversial and news-worthy.

Which means it is a conspiracy to oppress the women in that area?

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10161 on: January 19, 2012, 05:00:56 pm »

I don't think there's a conspiracy at work here. There're some men that are fighting for dominance and a reporter that can't shake his patriarchal roots. To him, the men's claims must seem reasonable and the society, as described by them, seems oppressive and anti-male. It's not that he's actively trying to do anything, he's just physically incapable of appreciating equality due to having lived in a patriarchy for so long.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10162 on: January 19, 2012, 05:02:12 pm »

No.  Not sure where you would get that?

Edit:

As far as I can see, the article's only real evidence that men are being oppressed is an interview with one guy.  Frankly the whole last half of that article feels written specifically to make you feel like men are being oppressed without a single shred of evidence.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 05:25:07 pm by Levi »

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #10163 on: January 19, 2012, 05:08:00 pm »

I don't think there's a conspiracy at work here. There're some men that are fighting for dominance and a reporter that can't shake his patriarchal roots. To him, the men's claims must seem reasonable and the society, as described by them, seems oppressive and anti-male.

1: what makes you think they are fighting for dominance? Nothing in the article even hints at this.

2: what makes you think the rest of the article is biased by a patriarchal view?

3: if the gender roles were reversed, nearly everything cited in the article would apply to a deeply anti-feminist country like some in the middle east.

The statements you are making are completely groundless based on the article in question.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10164 on: January 19, 2012, 05:22:54 pm »

Remember, Virex doesn't believe misandry is a thing that exists.

Nor does firefox's spell checker, which is saddening.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10165 on: January 19, 2012, 05:24:42 pm »

Firefox's spellchecker has a decent number of holes in its lexicon, to be honest. It could really use some updating.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10166 on: January 19, 2012, 05:26:55 pm »

I don't think there's a conspiracy at work here.

Why not? If you are right all the parts are there. A group of people (mens "rights" group) are trying in secrecy (and it must be secrecy since no one is able to see it but you) to bring about a evil end.

I kind of agree with Virex to be honest.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10167 on: January 19, 2012, 05:39:29 pm »

I can multiquote inventively too:  :)

I don't think there's a conspiracy at work here.

Edit:  But I should probably make clear that I agree with Virex in that that the article in question didn't provide enough evidence for me to believe that men were being oppressed.  It felt more sensational than reliable.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 05:47:43 pm by Levi »

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10168 on: January 19, 2012, 05:48:02 pm »

I believe Criptfeind is trying to lay out his train of thought, not strawman you.

IE that's what he's reading you to say. If that's not what you're actually saying, that's called a miscommunication. Clear it up and move on :P
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10169 on: January 19, 2012, 05:50:49 pm »

I believe Criptfeind is trying to lay out his train of thought, not strawman you.

IE that's what he's reading you to say. If that's not what you're actually saying, that's called a miscommunication. Clear it up and move on :P

Ah I misunderstood.  I apologize. 
Pages: 1 ... 676 677 [678] 679 680 ... 852