Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Modding in a 2nd 'race' of dwarves?  (Read 493 times)

outofpractice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Modding in a 2nd 'race' of dwarves?
« on: June 04, 2011, 12:08:46 am »

Howdy all,

First time posting on this forum, not questions for once, but its still a question for you experienced modders out there.

I'm looking to mod in another civ/race of dwarves into my game. Exactly the same as standard dwarves, except that I was looking to set them as active in winter. I've tried tinkering around a bit, but all i've managed to do so far is to make the original race of dwarves show up in winter with no sign of another one coming after 5 years.

Any ideas or guide I should look to? (or even a step by step which would be awesome.)

Cheers.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Modding in a 2nd 'race' of dwarves?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 07:49:07 am »

You could copy [ENTITY:MOUNTAIN] and another entity, named how you like, e.g  [ENTITY:MOUNTAIN2]

Copy the whole section, right up to before the next entity starts. Then change ACTIVE_SEASON:AUTUMN to WINTER.

You'd be best to put the copy in a separate file named entity_dwarf2.txt. Carefully copy the header layout exactly from the normal entity file. Th stat of the filename is important.

That should do it. Just be aware that it would be possible to embark as this entity, so get the 'normal' caravan/liason in winter.  The you'd have to wait for the next autumn to see the 'Autumn dwarves'
Maybe remove CIV_CONTROLLABLE from the copy so this doesn't happen.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 07:54:02 am by Reelyanoob »

Eldrick Tobin

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: MODDING_UNDWARFY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Modding in a 2nd 'race' of dwarves?
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 09:13:24 am »

Howdy all,

First time posting on this forum, not questions for once, but its still a question for you experienced modders out there.

I'm looking to mod in another civ/race of dwarves into my game. Exactly the same as standard dwarves, except that I was looking to set them as active in winter. I've tried tinkering around a bit, but all i've managed to do so far is to make the original race of dwarves show up in winter with no sign of another one coming after 5 years.

Any ideas or guide I should look to? (or even a step by step which would be awesome.)

Cheers.

Another option to simulate a second Carbon Copy race of dwarves would be to just add another season to Current dwarves. The relevant tags are:

[ACTIVE_SEASON:SPRING]
   [ACTIVE_SEASON:SUMMER]
   [ACTIVE_SEASON:AUTUMN]
   [ACTIVE_SEASON:WINTER]

My paste here is in a cluster as I have a civ that is so despicable only Goblins like them, and I haven't modded goblins to trade... so I 'spam' Traders.

Good Bit: Traders, and after they show up - very specific trading can be set up.
Bad Bit: It is from primarily one source (outside of anyone else showing up to trade of course), so any regional variation from traders coming from a completely different -but similar- source are lost.
Annoying Bit: Having the Liason showing up all the time entreating you to establish very specific trading...

Using the Other option (entity_mountain2) has it's advantages and disadvantages. You still get to specify for 'your civ', but you also get the random trading from a civilization that has an identical build tree. The disadvantages are things like keeping the two files the same as updates happen to DF, and of course you could do odd things like accidentally piss them off and now you're sieged by dwarves. This can happen as easily as forgetting to protect your lands as carefully in winter and they die to goblin ambushers.

Good Bit: Specific Trading without losing a source of Random trading.
Bad Bit: Having to do the mad trading scramble while you might already be facing resource scrambles depending on biome.
Annoying Bit: Something delays the Autumn Dwarves and they're both at the depot at the same time and you have to recall which is which.

Good Luck with either option ^-^

(Guidish bit coming online)
Option 1:
open entity_default.txt
search for "ACTIVE_SEASON"
add second line below that with [ACTIVE_SEASON:WINTER]
save
build a new world
Profit!

Option 2:
open entity_default.txt
copy the entirety of 'ENTITY:MOUNTAIN' all the way down to [ENTITY:FOREST]
paste into a new file: for this example "entity_mountain2.txt"
add your new file name to the top of the file: for this example "entity_mountain2"
add a blank line
add [OBJECT:ENTITY]
add a blank line
change the ENTITY:MOUNTAIN to ENTITY:MOUNTAIN2
save the file
build a new world
Profit!

(should look like this... commented out CIV_CONTROLLABLE so you don't have to worry about your embark being of winter dwarves. I even changed the ADVENTURE_TIER to 4... future proofing.)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hopefully that helps! ^-^
--
Eldrick Tobin
Behold the unimpressive Aspectus Lolin mod. || My Little Arachnid Fortress attempt...
I mumble to myself on tumblr... Sometimes about DF Modding.