Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How to start !!Fire!!?  (Read 1509 times)

ivze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to start !!Fire!!?
« on: June 03, 2011, 12:57:37 pm »

Imagine a fort, that does not have magma on the surface, only far below.

Which method would you suggest to set things on fire on the surface?
Solutions, comparable by complexity with building a magma pump stack, are not accepted. Dragon / fire titans are too random and unreliable.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
Re: How to start !!Fire!!?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 01:16:35 pm »

!!Fire!! ? What is this ? Can fire even be on a state on ignition ? Can fire even burn itself ?

Embark on a volcano.

Or release fire demons into the countryside.

werechicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 01:22:37 pm »

Or wait for the new version and nail a vampire outside

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 01:23:58 pm »

Or seek out the secret of setting !!fire!!.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 01:30:27 pm »

Iron bins with lignite blocks, or something along those lines.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

ivze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 01:40:00 pm »

Put in bin -> magma -> let magma sink away -> carry bin to the target location, I suggest. Is it safe?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 02:09:55 pm »

Put in bin -> magma -> let magma sink away -> carry bin to the target location, I suggest. Is it safe?

The object burning in the bin will burn the dwarf carrying it.  You may go through a lot of haulers getting it to the surface.

In theory, you could build some kind of retracting-bridge conveyor to throw the burning bin to the surface.  In practice, it will be simpler and faster to build a pump stack.

Other options:

If your magma sea has fire imps, capture them, then release them on the surface.  !!Fun!! will ensue.

Or, wait till a dragon or fire-breathing titan or forgotten beast shows up.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

ivze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 02:25:35 pm »

Huh, only magma crabs.. Anyway what would you suggest to lure imps out of the magma sea to the traps?

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 02:47:02 pm »

I'd suggest some modding, to give some commonplace creature fire breath, or something along those lines.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

ivze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 03:00:52 pm »

I've heard about thermonuclear catsplosions, when folks set cat's HOMOTHERM to 10x magma temperature, and KABOOM.

This is a bit cheatery, but the right way if just tests are needed.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 03:01:34 pm »

One approach that's been used with modders is to use a custom workshop+reaction+material to create an object made of a material that burns at room temperature. Search the Modding forum for the "bonfire mod" for more information.

I've heard about thermonuclear catsplosions, when folks set cat's HOMOTHERM to 10x magma temperature, and KABOOM.
That doesn't work anymore - it actually didn't even work in 40d, since each creature remembered its HOMEOTHERM and thus wasn't affected when you edited the raws.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

ivze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 04:43:37 pm »

Fire does not spread between Z levels. But science is needed to check whether it's possible to transport fire between levels using wooden !!vertical axle!! s.

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2011, 05:00:38 pm »

wrwr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2011, 06:42:12 pm »

Be extremely careful with keeping the fire under control. Dwarves don't fear fire, they don't even notice it, they just spread it like a plague. Only that it's harder to contain. They even like to snatch the !!pig tail socks!! of their recently fried comrades. Expect more fun than a fortress can bear.

ivze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2011, 06:52:03 pm »

I've savescummed and gone editing raws. Modded tetrahydrite to be flammabe - nothing happened, just much smoke. Dumping wooden bins with silk over it didn't help to start !!fun!!.

The only my success was starting cave bush fire after modding nethercaps to be 12000 Urist hot and chopping them, which caused immediate fire. Nevertheless, the wood worker, who walked in the fires, just bled to death. The clothes were not set on fire.

Using magma often makes things evaporate faster than they produce flames.

Generally, I've quite disappointed of how unfun fire has been. I've expected more :).  May be, I'm trying it the wrong way.
Pages: [1] 2