Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Wool Stacks Spinned into single Yarn stack?  (Read 1925 times)

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wool Stacks Spinned into single Yarn stack?
« on: June 03, 2011, 10:17:18 am »

As the title says, I just spun a stack of "stray ram wool [7]" and all I got was "sheep wool yarn"

is this WAD? or is it a bug? maybe the skill of the spinner? (was dabbling if it matters)

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wool Stacks Spinned into single Yarn stack?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 12:17:30 pm »

hasn't anyone experienced this?

ashein

• Bay Watcher
  • you must construct additional magma pumps!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 12:43:54 pm »

Yes, it looks like it's the way to go, though. My farmer once got some alpaca wool (two in a stack or so, from a baby alpaca maybe, didn't monitor his actions at that time) and refused to spin it, so I suppose the spin job requires a predefined volume of wool to process into yarn.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 01:37:12 pm »

Ever get the message 'weaver cancels job, can't find 10,000 plant fiber thread' or somesuch?  Pretty sure there's quantities for lots of things.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 08:54:24 pm »

seems some !!science!! is needed here!!

these reactions aren't in the raws, correct?

is there any way to separate one "stray ram wool" from the stack of "stray ram wool [7]"??

I assume the "z" status screen for a shearable creature gives you an indicator of how big a stack you'll get, like "his/her amber wool is somewhat long" or "somewhat short" or "extremely long" and such....

if you spin a small enough wool stack, it will need to take another one until it has a certain amount of wool??  ???

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 12:45:11 pm »

Does wool rot away? Can it be eaten/destroyed by vermin? can it be compressed into a single stack?

These questions come from something I just noticed in a new embark, I have a ram, a ewe, and a pair of llamas and alpacas...

I had a dwarf shear the critters, I set up the workshop and the refuse yarn/hair stockpile underground, I -think- I saw 4 wool on my stockpile, I also noticed a "large roach" roaming around it, since I checked the raws for hair template and I didn't see anything about vermin eating or rotting, I setup my cats on a pasture over the stockpiles that do get eaten by vermin (meat, fish, meals, etc..)

I let it be and when I noticed again, all my animals have "short" or "somewhat short" wool and I only got "stray ram wool [7]", "stray ewe wool [7]" and "stray llama wool [14]"

So what happened? my alpacas got sheared and produced nothing? two [7] llama wool got combined into one [14] llama wool or one of the [14] ones rotted/got eaten by the large roach??

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 12:52:34 pm »

Hair is a refuse item.  While it doesnt have a rotting stage like say nervous tissue (miasma producing) its still refuse.  Maybe theres a timer at work somewhere.

On the case of the stack of wool, this is what I see too.  Corona is on the money with the quantities thing, not all reactions consume/produce single items, this one is requiring a reasonable amount of wool to produce thread.  I've seen this a couple of times where i set a spinning job which they cancel on me, when I check the refuse pile im down to the last couple of units of hair. (you obviously also need matching types, a bunch of single units from differant species wont spin)

Theres no way really to compress stacks.  I have however noticed that bone will also sometimes stack like this.  I have a couple of stacks that are bigger than a single example of the animal can possibly produce.  It doesnt seem at all reliable or predictable from what i've observed (limited, passing observations)  Id guess your 14 llama stack is 2x 7's

Your disappearing alpaca wool is weird.  check the logs, is there a job interruption somewhere?  Handling dangerous creature gets the shear job sometimes like it does milking, maybe the alpacas never got sheared. (solution is to try again, if it works it didnt happen last time, takes ages for the wool to actually grow back)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 12:55:41 pm by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 02:26:49 pm »

I really wasn't paying much attention to my alpacas, but don't shear-able animals embark full of wool?

I did got cancellations, like "Urist McMilker cancels job, handling dangerous animal" but it seems to be that they went, did their thing with the animals, and moved to another task like "store item in bag" when they raise the message... does those cancellations cause the items to disappear? like they get their wool short (or get miked) but it doesn't produce a wool (or milk) item??

About bones and such, it has been tested that animals do produce bigger stacks of fat/meat depending on their attributes: "incredible muscles", "untold amounts of fat" and such...

Not sure if it affects bones too... maybe the "gigantic", "enormous", etc... has anyone got something as a "tiny" or "small" animal? I always get regular (nothing to note) or enormous or gigantic....

Do bones, skulls, shells, tooth, pearls "root" too?

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 02:45:36 am »

About bones and such, it has been tested that animals do produce bigger stacks of fat/meat depending on their attributes: "incredible muscles", "untold amounts of fat" and such...

But with what certainty? I'm sure it's not always. I had new born skinny-tinny hatchlings who were giving me lots of fat and meat, and adult "fat" or "muscular" birds who were giving me only a skull. The same with elephants (and more amusing, since newborn elephants weights so many times less than an adult). There must be place for RNG here somewhere.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 05:09:08 am »

My thought about interrupts is that maybe they were bringing the animals to the workshop and got interrupted before shearing.  It cancels the task so unless you were using repeat it'd be possible to miss shearing that animal.
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 10:08:39 pm »

In the new version 34.02, I noticed I'm getting the same [6] or [7] wool stacks, and for some reason I also get a single [1] wool stack lying around...

Interestingly this single wool is not considered hair/wool/yarn but instead goes to my refuse stockpile (one without hair/wool/yarn) and can't be spun into thread... Anybody noticed this?

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 10:54:57 pm »

In the new version 34.02, I noticed I'm getting the same [6] or [7] wool stacks, and for some reason I also get a single [1] wool stack lying around...

Interestingly this single wool is not considered hair/wool/yarn but instead goes to my refuse stockpile (one without hair/wool/yarn) and can't be spun into thread... Anybody noticed this?

I've noticed it.  Might be related to butchering.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2012, 11:42:53 pm »

The same with elephants (and more amusing, since newborn elephants weights so many times less than an adult). There must be place for RNG here somewhere.
I did some testing with elephants. The ratio of meat, bone, and fat (didn't count organs) is affected by the description, but the amount of stuff you get is dependent on the animal's weight. The weight of the animal isn't visible directly; you have to put it in a cage and then take a look at the cage's weight.

.34 fixed a bug that was present all through .31. Creatures were listed in the raws as having multiples of a certain body part, but these never showed up in .31. This is most noticeable with teeth. In .31 humanoids only had six teeth because the part of the raws that said 'there are six upper front teeth, and also here is what they're called' didn't work properly. Now it does, which is what causes the showers of teeth.

Maybe the increased number of bones is from the ribs being counted correctly.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2012, 03:13:06 pm »

.34 fixed a bug that was present all through .31. Creatures were listed in the raws as having multiples of a certain body part, but these never showed up in .31. This is most noticeable with teeth. In .31 humanoids only had six teeth because the part of the raws that said 'there are six upper front teeth, and also here is what they're called' didn't work properly. Now it does, which is what causes the showers of teeth.
I also noticed this, they seem to lose a whole section of teeth in one blow, like upper/lower front/back teeth, I guess there's only those 4 combinations, why do you say 6?

It's just me or before you could use the teeth for crafting? maybe I'm miss-remembering...

also noticed that certain mutilated body-parts now aren't butcher-able, like when a dog looses a limb to an enemy, they don't butcher it, or when my military killed a wild badger and cut off it's tail, they would butcher the corpse but not the tail...

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2012, 04:01:06 pm »

Upper front / lower front, lower right / lower left, upper right / upper left.

Teeth could sometimes be used in crafting. I think it was based on whether the tooth was large enough to show up in the butchery list. Same with body parts. If a butcherable animal item isn't big enough to yield anything, it doesn't get butchered. So, whole small animals might be ignored and big cat paws might yield meat, bone, and skin.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: [1] 2