Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need help making two-headed monster race  (Read 630 times)

Earwig

• Bay Watcher
  • the Awe-Inspiring Distraction
    • View Profile
Need help making two-headed monster race
« on: June 03, 2011, 04:21:40 am »

I have this species in mind, based on a weird creature I made in Spore, that has four maws and two heads, with one eye on each head.

Some ref pics here:
http://i32.tinypic.com/358409g.jpg
http://i31.tinypic.com/2m48zh1.jpg
http://i29.tinypic.com/20zscqs.jpg
http://i27.tinypic.com/aw2whs.jpg

I'm definitely outside of my comfort zone here, though. I've just been kind of dabbling here and there, and shoving tags in when I find out about them. Basically what I'd like is to have a general raptor-ish chitinous body with skin/muscle/bone under the chitin (pretty sure I've figured that out fine). I want them to be a civilization that lives in Savage non-freezing regions, but I also was hoping I could get groups of them hunting raptor-style in savage jungles. I want them to be civilized but also tame-able as exotic pets and mounts. My major issue has been with the body tags. If I had a good reference point where I could just copy a raptor or something, I definitely would, but I can't seem to find anything like that.

Any insights on how to make a humanoid with two heads, two mouths on each head, one eye on each head, and a tail, would make me very happy. They have three fingers and five toes, all sharply clawed. They're ambush predators, carnivores, etc.

Additionally I was confused about teeth, I would like to find a setup that has a maw full of horrible needle teeth and apply that to all four mouths, but I've only been able to find the eyeteeth for lions etc.

I'm a total noob so I should probably start simpler, but I really do want to see these guys running around wreaking havoc. Thanks in advance for any tips!
Like my story of Vanod wandering through Monster Island?

Please vote for it to be included in the Hall of Legends!

And please enjoy my grumpy guest appearance (Enir Twigappears) in the awesome The Littlest Cheesemaker story by evictedSaint!

Kweri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Need help making two-headed monster race
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 01:15:54 pm »

It looks like MOST of your body needs are taken care of by [BODY:HUMANOID_2HEAD] [BODY:TAIL] [BODY:3FINGERS] [BODY:5TOES] and [BODY:1EYE] in the default body files.

1EYE has [CONTYPE:HEAD], which means attach it to every part that is of the head type - so you'd get one eye per head in this case.

You're going to need to add some new body files - either append into the existing body_default.txt or make a new file. I'm going to assume you're making a new file here (I prefer this method; keeps my stuff separate from the default files so I can update/troubleshoot easier). Let's say you create body_earwig.txt for these new body parts. The first lines of your file would be:
Code: [Select]
body_earwig

[OBJECT:BODY]
Now, looking at your creature, we need to attach two mouths per head.
[BODY:2MOUTHS]
[BP:MOUTH_U:upper mouth:STP][CONTYPE:HEAD][MOUTH][SMALL][EMBEDDED][APERTURE][CATEGORY:MOUTH]
[DEFAULT_RELSIZE:20]
[BP:MOUTH_L:lower mouth:STP][CONTYPE:HEAD][MOUTH][SMALL][EMBEDDED][APERTURE][CATEGORY:MOUTH]
[DEFAULT_RELSIZE:20]
Because it has CONTYPE:HEAD, it attaches an upper mouth and a lower mouth to each head. You'll end up with body parts called upper mouth, right head and lower mouth, left head for example.

As for teeth - sounds like you'd have a bunch of teeth all the same size. That's what [BODY:GENERIC_TEETH] is (30 teeth in that one). You can't specify shape of bodyparts, only size. Now, the generic teeth are all relsize 1, so I'd probably increase that for your creature. Unfortunately GENERIC_TEETH have CONTYPE:HEAD. We'd want them attached per mouth, not head. New body part!
[BODY:TEETH_PER_MOUTH]
[BP:TOOTH:tooth:teeth][CON_CAT:MOUTH][CATEGORY:TOOTH][NUMBER:30][SOCKET][SMALL]
[DEFAULT_RELSIZE:10]

Putting it all together - I'd suggest [BODY:HUMANOID_2HEAD:TAIL:2MOUTHS:TEETH_PER_MOUTH:1EYE:3FINGERS:5TOES:2LUNGS:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:HUMANOID_JOINTS:THROAT:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:SKULL:RIBCAGE]. Bolded ones are ones you'd have modded in.

I don't have the FACIAL_FEATURES body tag in there. If you want them (cheeks/lips/eyelids) you'll need to make a new body part with some adjustments - for lips and cheeks, probably change [CONTYPE:HEAD] to [CON_CAT:MOUTH] and remove one of the eyelids since you only have one eye per head.

Earwig

• Bay Watcher
  • the Awe-Inspiring Distraction
    • View Profile
Re: Need help making two-headed monster race
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 01:56:13 am »

Awesome, thank you very much for the help. Diving in from scratch is brain-imploding. Bug brain and all that.

Thanks again! I'll make sure to work on these horrible monsters some more.
Like my story of Vanod wandering through Monster Island?

Please vote for it to be included in the Hall of Legends!

And please enjoy my grumpy guest appearance (Enir Twigappears) in the awesome The Littlest Cheesemaker story by evictedSaint!