Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14

Author Topic: Deus Ex Human Revolution Beta Leak  (Read 25481 times)

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
Re: Deus Ex Human Revolution Beta Leak
« Reply #150 on: August 30, 2011, 04:10:43 pm »

I've finished it. This along with Fallout:New Vegas is the example of homage to a classic done right. The whole length of the game was on par and sometimes even superior to the original Deus Ex. Only the ending felt lackluster to me. The final stages seemed rushed and pale in comparison to the bunker level of DX1 but you can't have it all.

Overall DX:HR exceeded my expectations and then crushed them up into a ball and them kicked it into a goal post on the moon.

The different endings are all accessible immediately from the last save point in the game which kind of makes choosing only one pointless. I saw them all but I think all things considered I would choose:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's funny how my viewpoint has changed over the years. In my first playthrough of the original Deus Ex I went for the "New Dark Age" ending which puts an end to the technology that brought all of the problems humanity faces in the games universe. You basically blow up the internet :D .

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #152 on: August 30, 2011, 04:31:44 pm »

Mr. Jensen needs a new mirror: http://www.gametrailers.com/user-movie/mr-jensen-needs-new-mirror/360181?playlist=featured
The best part is if you hack the landlord's computer...

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 30, 2011, 04:57:06 pm »

Boss fights are pretty dumb , IMHO. worst part of the game for me. I ended up turning down the difficulty just for the fight, then back up for the rest of the game. If you specialize in sneaky, the bosses get hard to beat because you might not be carrying some high damage weapons. Just remember to collect some big weapons even if you never use them except for boss fights, you have to give up some inventory to carry those.
Too true. I had to go back and replay a significant portion of the game because I hit the 2nd boss fight with nothing more than a heavily modded pistol which had served me well the entire game up to then. Also that bitch was tough.

I just got back from not having power (Goodnight Irene), so last time I played I had just finished fighting her (on Give me Deus Ex) and gone on to wander around Detroit for the second time, but it was several days ago.

It was actually fairly easy for me - but here's what I had:
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 30, 2011, 05:51:42 pm »

So, for those not following, the "big annoucement" ARG ended in what seems to be an announcement for Sunday at approx. 5 am (GMT?). Apparently the game dev's are getting bored....

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #156 on: August 30, 2011, 10:33:15 pm »

hey im dumb or something, how do i attack without a weapon? just takedown with me hands?
I got nothing

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 30, 2011, 11:16:45 pm »

hey im dumb or something, how do i attack without a weapon? just takedown with me hands?

Get close, have 1 bar of energy, hit 'Q' for KO or hold 'Q' for murder.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 31, 2011, 05:46:16 am »

It annoyed me that you need energy for melee.
And that only the first cell got recharged.
And how is breaking someones arm a silent takedown?

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 31, 2011, 09:28:29 am »

It annoyed me that you need energy for melee.
And that only the first cell got recharged.
And how is breaking someones arm a silent takedown?

Haha yeah the takedown system is pretty silly, gotta love those moments when you take down one guard silently by breaking his arm, then calmly stop to eat a snack bar before you proceed to takedown his buddy

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #160 on: August 31, 2011, 11:33:54 am »

I think we are definitely seeing this game through rose tinted glasses. Dont get me wrong, I am enjoying it thoroughly but theres so many weird/dumb design choices and the AI is downright silly. The game is super easy (except the incongruous boss fights), I can essentially wipe out the population of any city with just a 10mm pistol and face no repercussions.

Still, its a pretty awesome game. I just wish that leaving bodies laying around had some effect and that local police could call in more reinforcements, or some reason for me NOT to kill every cop in the Detroit station with my pea-shooter. They could have done a bit more with this.
I got nothing

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 31, 2011, 12:28:12 pm »

Clearly the game sucks because it isn't GTA.

I mean, pfft, we can kill people with a tiny and useless 10mm gun. You can't even do that in real life!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #162 on: August 31, 2011, 12:31:32 pm »

Clearly the game sucks because it isn't GTA.

I mean, pfft, we can kill people with a tiny and useless 10mm gun. You can't even do that in real life!
His point, I think, was that there are no consequences. He's wrong though, if you start shooting guns in public the cops will come investigate and people will panic and run off to inform the cops. They WILL shoot at you.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #163 on: August 31, 2011, 01:33:42 pm »

yeah but, i can kill every single one of them and not die, on the hardest setting...until nothing lives and i wont run out of ammo because i can keep grabbing theirs. Jensen can wipe out entire cities solo.

I wont tolerate fanboyism here on this (I'm looking at you Umiman), like many of us Deus Ex is on my all-time favorites list; I'm just saying they could have done more. In many ways, the upgardes are graphical and some minor enhancements to the UI and  aug system and hacking. Otherwise the game is very similar to the original. READ: AI is retarded.

Early in the game, i went around killing some of the gang members in their rooms. Later when I got quests to go there, the dead bodies were still laying on the ground as the quest targets are just going about their business. No matter how much you love this game, that just breaks immersion. Theres stuff like this all throughout.

Another weird choice they made is to get rid of the heavy weapons skill. So basically I can dump my points into hacking and still whip out a rocket launcher. There are still many paths to the goal, but now I can take them ALL. I can sneak all the way in, not being seen. Then, before the end, I can blast my way back out to the beginning, killing every single thing (usually with just the 10mm pistol) and hack every single door/chest. Then, satisfied I have beaten the mission utterly, I can walk back to the end of the mission. Even on the hardest difficulty (again, except for boss fights).

EDIT: I realize I am oversimplifying the improvements of this game over the original. I will even say this game is in many ways BETTER than the original. My point, and I think I have made it clear, is that it could have been way better if the world felt a bit more alive.

Maybe we are so relieved that this is NOT a shitty console port and it IS NOT WORTHY of the original like so many sequels these days that we are looking past these things.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 02:28:02 pm by ductape »
I got nothing

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 31, 2011, 02:34:30 pm »

You can always say they could have done more. The lord almighty could have made a game and people would still nitpick. The thing is the new Deus Ex is a very good game not only by todays standards but by Deus Ex standards as well.

You start out by trying to break the game. There is no reason why you should start slaughtering the city when you have the storyline. At least the creators didn't go for the cheap anti-lulz method of making everyone you shouldn't be killing invulnerable.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14