Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14

Author Topic: Deus Ex Human Revolution Beta Leak  (Read 25420 times)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Deus Ex Human Revolution Beta Leak
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2011, 10:58:59 pm »

Heh, I guess I'm pretty lucky my N64 never had any problems.

It is not mine, it is the one my orthodontist got rid of to upgrade. It is not in that bad of shape, just freezes after a few of the start-ups. It is slowly improving, though. Anyway, back on topic, for game companies to leak beta versions of their game... Why don't they just set it up so people can play the beta for free, rather than all the bullshit? They aren't fooling anyone.

Most of these games with their betas and whatnot gain income for someone, somehow.  Whether by advertising on the download page, or whatever.  If you look hard enough you can usually see how they might have made some money.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Thump

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2011, 11:07:28 pm »

It is not mine, it is the one my orthodontist got rid of to upgrade. It is not in that bad of shape, just freezes after a few of the start-ups. It is slowly improving, though. Anyway, back on topic, for game companies to leak beta versions of their game... Why don't they just set it up so people can play the beta for free, rather than all the bullshit? They aren't fooling anyone.

So if the game is a success, they can pat themselves on the back for thinking outside the box and releasing the beta under the table. However, if the game flops, they can blame all the dirty pirates for pirating the beta and just playing that instead of buying it.

It's win-win for them.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2011, 11:10:48 pm »

Or perhaps the publishers wouldn't allow an open beta/demo and the devs thought "Fuck that."

E: Possibly even vice versa.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2011, 11:12:20 pm »

Most of these games with their betas and whatnot gain income for someone, somehow.  Whether by advertising on the download page, or whatever.  If you look hard enough you can usually see how they might have made some money.

But just leaking it earns them nothing but letting people play a free beta that could have easily be released on an advertised web page.

If they leak it in such a way that it creates a bit of noteriety, but still manages to make them a bit of money to help fund development, they win both ways.  Most gamers would look at a crude and obvious moneygrab beta release with some disdain.

Making money off an unofficial beta release can be very sneaky and inobvious too.  On a under the table release, if they track the number of downloads, they might go to a publishing studio or a investor and say "We released this under the table and people downloaded 200,000 copies in 72 hours.  The forums are full of happy people.  Give us money!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 11:14:55 pm by Farmerbob »
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

KrunkSplein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2011, 07:35:10 pm »

Well this just takes the cake for irony as far as I'm concerned:

As is the case with anything obtained through the internet, I immediately scanned the contents of the leak for viruses.  Of course, there was a trojan!  "Woe is me," I said, "for the existence of a trojan is a deal-breaker."  But then I looked a little closer at what file got flagged.  In the root directory, there is an executable for the game.  As is the case with many leaks, there also exists an identically-named executable in a folder named "crack".  Take a guess as to which of those two files was the trojan.  If you guessed "The Crack", you are wrong!  Turns out the cracked version is clean, and the original was a trap.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2011, 07:38:35 pm »

I love this world.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2011, 08:34:01 am »

So now I have to decide if I am going to get the supposedly superior pc version which will probably not run well on my laptop as I am only a couple of notches above the minimum specs or play on the Ps3 which is where games go to not get played much by me.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2011, 11:02:14 am »

I for one intend to get the PC version, eventually. Sales seem a lot more frequent on PC games on Steam than for 360 games, or at least I'm not seeing sales on 360 games at prices anywhere approaching Steam's prices, or approaching the frequency that Steam does sales. I get the weekly fliers from Gamestop in my email, and there's never any good deals in them. Steam keeps going "Here's another good game for ridiculously cheap. Spend your money on us. You know you want to..." (I don't have a PS3 and won't touch it after they had their entire customer list stolen and leaked, personally)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Sinned

• Bay Watcher
  • <Intentionally left blank>
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2011, 03:19:02 pm »

Funny leak, not gonna try it, tempted but time is precious, Ill just wait for the full release. Smart though, I take they already mentioned the "gold" game will be way better ofcourse?

So now I have to decide if I am going to get the supposedly superior pc version which will probably not run well on my laptop as I am only a couple of notches above the minimum specs or play on the Ps3 which is where games go to not get played much by me.

I just can't handle fps like games on a console, so I would say pc... but if your laptop can't handle it, I doubt you will get any enjoyment out of it at all...

Go Pc and upgrade your laptop/desktop. (ea$ier said then don€ ;) )

Yeah I know, contradicting myself a bit, I just really can't handle fps on consoles... Trying to do something with a gamepad that goes x times easier with a mouse, can't force myself to practice and learn something that can be done way easier... Call it efficiency or laziness ;)

That and I (also) always end up not playing my console games as much... got a wife and daughter that are in control of that part of the house. Tread lightly ;)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 03:23:46 pm by Sinned »
When you find yourself in the company of a dwarf and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon... just the dwarf.

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2011, 03:27:22 pm »

Might be best to play it safe and get the PS3 version, though admittedly this looks like a game you would really want to go PC for if you can. Playing FPS on a console isn't as great as a PC but I'm of the opinion that a PC is only necessary if you're playing in some sort of competitive capacity, which I don't believe is the case for Deus Ex. I suppose you could try out the leak or something on your laptop just to see what kind of performance you get, but that's up to you.

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2011, 03:33:11 pm »

I suppose you could try out the leak or something on your laptop just to see what kind of performance you get, but that's up to you.
This is probably what I would do, honestly. Treat it like a demo/preview (which it kind of is) and see how it goes.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2011, 10:08:38 am »

OK so it runs pretty well on my system with graphics reduced a bit(and AA turned off). It seems pretty good but I don't want to play it too much, just wanted to make sure it ran. Going to buy it now and I deleted the files.

Have to say though, it plays a lot like Alpha Protocol. A LOT.

alexpoysky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2011, 10:20:07 am »

same, I beat the hell out of the beta link, the game looks fantastic and runs it too. I literally took a two hour detour to do all the office related "quests" and was amazed at how well thought out they were. A really great looking game. By the way, the beta only has stuff until like the third mission. which is well into the eight hour mark anyways so yeah, pretty nifty piece of self advertising they did there ;).
Poysky Productions

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2011, 04:34:06 pm »

I can't believe people here aren't frothing with anticipation over the imminent release! It is just a well polished game with decent replay due to choice of tactics/route/conversation. I heartily recommend it if you can afford it. I had to put myself into financial hardship to do so, but I have no regrets. Ramen noodles can be my friend again.

postal83

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2011, 06:04:26 pm »

Man, you're excited?  Feel these nipples!  I am pretty pumped.  I was on the fence about buying it due to my financial situation but two days ago I finally caved and pre-ordered on steam.  Only one more day to go.  I would consider taking the day off work, but with my luck, they won't unlock it until 3:00 PM anyways.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14