Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]

Author Topic: Deus Ex Human Revolution Beta Leak  (Read 25423 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Deus Ex Human Revolution Beta Leak
« Reply #195 on: September 03, 2011, 04:00:18 pm »

You know the quantum Spoiler Spoiler Spoiler you Spoilered at the end? Yeah. One of the emails was pretty specific about how that was necessary to keep Panchaea from succumbing to ocean pressure and collapsing into the ocean. So I'd expect that no matter what message you sent out, the whole thing would collapse pretty soon afterwards, even if you hadn't wanted it to.

Also, did you not watch the entire credits? You missed something, if you didn't.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 03, 2011, 04:43:36 pm »

I just completed the game last night and after thinking about it for while I'm starting to lean more and more towards the notion that not only does this game try overly hard to be a sequel (well prequel) to Deus Ex, it actually tries to BE Deus Ex.
Its not really so much a sequel as its an impersonation and its rather creepy actually.

Well we can compare Human Revolution to the other successors to classic titles.

In Bioshock for example they got away with copying the entire major plot twist mechanic from the game they were succeeding, namely System Shock 2.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

With the same mindset I was expecting DX:HR to have Sarif Industries imprison you in their secret underground bunker after the few starting mission :P. Nothing like that happened and I appreciate Eidos Montreal for at least attempting to make their own story. It didn't end up as good as the story in the original but, for me at least, Deus Ex was never so much about the storyline but about the compelling setting, gameplay and characters. All of the latter are spot on in HR.

I agree that the ending seemed rushed. Panchaea is nowhere near as memorable an endgame as the bunker was in Deus Ex.

You just get to chat with a couple of characters and like always they tell you what to do for them. In the Bunker your infolink was constantly bombarded by the sides convincing you to choose to help them along with Page taunting you.

This is not just about the ending though. Not enough infolink chat in this game :P . You never felt lonely in the first one with many characters commenting on you actions.

In HR the different endings are separated by a few steps. You just save the game and watch all of them without giving the choice presented too much thought. In the first game you had to go through a series of steps while navigating the bunker to trigger each ending separately. Lets say the endings were 20 minutes of gameplay apart. It's those 20 minutes that made you actually consider which choice would be the best. It was great for immersion. Just before finishing the game you would consider the consequences of what you have done.

As for the little clip after the credits I wonder if:

« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 04:46:38 pm by Toady Two »

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 03, 2011, 05:05:55 pm »

You know the quantum Spoiler Spoiler Spoiler you Spoilered at the end? Yeah. One of the emails was pretty specific about how that was necessary to keep Panchaea from succumbing to ocean pressure and collapsing into the ocean. So I'd expect that no matter what message you sent out, the whole thing would collapse pretty soon afterwards, even if you hadn't wanted it to.

Also, did you not watch the entire credits? You missed something, if you didn't.

I did not watch the entire credits. I gave the game more credit than a Marvel movie. I suppose I shall have to youtube it.
Also, I don't really see how your argument validates the ending as anything other than weak, it just makes the "push this button for this ending" options even sillier as far as I see it.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 03, 2011, 07:04:33 pm »

Every time someone non-Sarif contacts Jensen on the Infolink, he goes "How did you get this frequency!?" He sounds like Captain Picard in The Neutral Zone when Offenhouse got on the comm panel (which wasn't secured in any way).
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 03, 2011, 07:20:11 pm »

Every time someone non-Sarif contacts Jensen on the Infolink, he goes "How did you get this frequency!?" He sounds like Captain Picard in The Neutral Zone when Offenhouse got on the comm panel (which wasn't secured in any way).

I gotta admit, I loved Tongs "Ancient chinese secret" response :)

Also, I just youtubed the end credits and I'm actually pretty pissed that they decided to put the closest thing the game has to real closure for the ending after around 10 minutes of credits. Seriously?

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: September 04, 2011, 03:19:32 am »

You'd think he'd update the frequency after a while.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 04, 2011, 07:24:42 am »

I don't know if this has been posted before, but I found this while reading emails.

Sounds familiar no?

At least here you aren't simultaneously riding past a corridor flooded with glowy green stuff.
Long Live United Forenia!

MagmaDeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 04, 2011, 11:17:33 am »

Knowledge=Power=Energy=Matter=Mass.

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile