Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14

Author Topic: Deus Ex Human Revolution Beta Leak  (Read 25444 times)

postal83

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Deus Ex Human Revolution Beta Leak
« Reply #165 on: August 31, 2011, 03:27:17 pm »

Yeah, I've found that trying to break the game will ruin your experience.  In general, most open games try to herd you along the story line, and I just go along for the ride.  If I replay, then I try to break it, otherwise, I try to play it for how it was meant to be played.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #166 on: August 31, 2011, 06:16:52 pm »

I'm not trying to break the game, I used that example to illustrate how easy the game is after someone else said that there are consequences for shooting people. In my eight grade English class, my English teacher was all about reading for comprehension. Somehow, the comprehension on these forums is subpar.

As for slaughtering the city, sometimes you "accidentally" shoot a cop. There should be a price to pay for that. After you take out the maybe 6 or 8 guys that come after you, you are free and clear in that zone.

it's like this:

Oh look, the Belltower guys are guarding that building, better sneak in (not really, I could just pick them off one by one with my pistol). So ok, I sneak in, all the way in. I dont kill a soul and get what I want, then sneak all the way back out. PERFECT. OK, so I spent all my points on hacking and stealth so thats the way I should be playing, right?

Well, I just turn around and shoot my way in there. Kill them all with my 10mm pistol without taking a single hit. I havent spent any points on combat skills. Ok so, Belltwoer guys are easy, how about the next mission? All the same. Regardless of how I spent my points I can just walk in and mow heavily armored and armed soldiers down with my 10mm pistol, piece of cake.

I bet I could spend no praxis points at all and still be able to mow my way in with a 10mm pistol. For me, that makes me wonder about the aug system.

I guess I just want more of a challenge, because see, I am not good at FPS game by any standards. I get my ass handed to me all the time in any FPS game, I just plain suck.

Regardless of what I say, I will be dubbed a complainer or a hater because rabid fan over-defensiveness. It's a great game, but it would have been pretty easy to up the difficulty a bit, have unlimited soldiers spawn in a zone as I keep killing them, have some sort of heat where you become wanted by local police so you HAVE TO SNEAK. These would not have been hard things to add to the game.

TL;DR : Awesome game, I feel like it was money well spent. I have honest criticism on the difficulty and so forth, which upsets other people.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 06:20:45 pm by ductape »
I got nothing

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 31, 2011, 07:07:10 pm »

Jensen is ex-SWAT. The augmentations just help him, he doesn't need them.

Thats how i've been thinking of it at least. Its not killing my gameplay in anyway. I did the same as you for the gang though. MCB room yeah? Knocked both of those guys out early, later on the two in the back room were standing on their buddies
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

MagmaDeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 31, 2011, 10:25:35 pm »

Really, if a cop sees you kill someone, or hears you shoot, then shows up and see's you, its pretty hard to survive, unless you are prepared
The Cops hit hard, are basically as armored as anyone is, and actually are intelligent about surrounding you.
For example, I shot someone off the roof of the gas station in detroit.
Cops run up, take cover behind mailboxes/cars across the street, some take cover near the billboard. Then a cop snuck straight along the fence, and walked around to the back of the station, looking around there.

The AI is better than most games though, The norm is for enemies to charge you wildly, or sit behind cover in a corridor.

Also, about the dumping points into stealth, and using heavy weapons, try using the Heavy rifle without any points to reduce recoil. Its pretty much impossible
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 10:28:57 pm by MagmaDeath »
Knowledge=Power=Energy=Matter=Mass.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 01, 2011, 02:14:25 am »

I see what ductape is saying. I killed the same gang members and it was jarring in a later side quest. Save the bosses things have been a bit easy but I'm not far into the game. This thread contains little negative comment compared to other threads on this board. Part of the reason for this is likely because of the relief that they didn't completely mess this up.

One thing I really want to see fixed in a patch is the slow scroll speed of the map.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

drkpaladin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 01, 2011, 06:57:57 am »

It was a conscious choice by the developers to break up awareness of what Jensen does between zones, mostly to avoid penalizing someone too long for making a mistake.  Sure that means that you can gun down an entire police station, and then the cops on the street won't shoot at you when you leave, which does break immersion (if you are the type that guns down an entire police station).  It was strictly a gameplay choice though.  Is it a little too easy to go into every situation with a silenced pistol that shoots armor piercing bullets? Yes, it is a little too easy for the 99.9% military grade cyborg to kill the random mooks in the game.  Just like it is a little too easy in real life to gun down children trapped in a schoolbus.

I mean, I agree somewhat that aside from the first mission, the game does not seem to acknowledge who you kill or don't kill or who sees you or not, and that more of that dialogue at least would have really made the game stupidly good.

But hey, I'm not feeling disappointment when I'm sitting there playing Deus Ex.  I'm running around knocking out guards, reading emails, chatting up random people and looking for hidden stuff while not being spotted.  If I mess up badly enough, then with a heavy heart I set the turrets and robots to kill and bust out my 10mm and everything dies in short order.  I won't be trying to break the game until my 3rd time through, where I will be stabbing a certain ex-girlfriend's mom in the first 10 minutes of the game for no raisin.

postal83

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 01, 2011, 12:17:08 pm »

Yeah same here.  I've got nothing big complain about really (and no I'm not a Deus Ex fanboy).  However, I have been playing stealth only, non-lethal combat, and exploring on my first playthrough.  I believe the game is biased towards this gameplay and probably makes for a much better experience.

Next playthrough I will go commando and see how different the game plays out I guess...

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 01, 2011, 01:54:49 pm »

Yeah same here.  I've got nothing big complain about really (and no I'm not a Deus Ex fanboy).  However, I have been playing stealth only, non-lethal combat, and exploring on my first playthrough.  I believe the game is biased towards this gameplay and probably makes for a much better experience.

Next playthrough I will go commando and see how different the game plays out I guess...

You'll hear a lot of alarm sirens and will get shot at a lot more

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #173 on: September 01, 2011, 01:55:38 pm »

Also if yours goes anything like mine, you'll be constantly low on ammo.

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 01, 2011, 02:17:50 pm »

Also if yours goes anything like mine, you'll be constantly low on ammo.

Oh yes, that too. And consume a large amount of snack bars. Maybe that full-body replacement wasn't so bad after all, at least you won't get fat from the excessive intake of carbohydrates all the time :)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 01, 2011, 04:04:56 pm »

That would be why I carry 4+ different guns. I kept the rocket launcher until near the end of Singapore, after I had used the last of the ammo and swapped it for the laser rifle (which did take less space). I also ended up dropping my heavy rifle and taking a plasma rifle and PEPS in Singapore or
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
. Of course, I hadn't been collecting PEPS ammo, so I only got four shots total out of it, the laser rifle barely got used at all, and I only used the plasma rifle in the final battle (on turrets)... Yet there was ammo for the plasma rifle all over the place after I got it. If they (both the laser and plasma rifle) had shown up earlier I'd have gotten more use out of them. Did the game designers expect me to use them on innocent people?

P.S.

About the last boss:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 01, 2011, 06:30:04 pm »

Pro-tip for any boss except the last.

Use mines. Seriously. They will fuck their day up. Hell, the 3rd boss on normal fell after five frag mines and two combat rifle clips
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 02, 2011, 06:17:40 am »

Just wanna say, I love all the little touches in this game. Like this, which Aqizzar, after I described it, noted to be the biggest nerd in joke ever.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #178 on: September 02, 2011, 08:23:24 am »

I smiled when I saw that one too.

postal83

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 02, 2011, 09:14:24 am »

Do player laid mines detonate when the player moves over them?
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14