Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Your favorite DS and Advance games  (Read 4156 times)

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
Re: Your favorite DS and Advance games
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2011, 03:27:09 pm »

The Urbz: Sims In the City

Get it, it's amazing.
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2011, 03:38:51 pm »

The Urbz: Sims In the City

Get it, it's amazing.

Yeah that was pretty fun, never did beat it though.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2011, 11:22:23 am »

- Every Castlevania ever

Not Harmony of Dissonance though.  I didn't like that one.

Circle of the Moon and Aria of Sorrow were great.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2011, 01:42:12 pm »

- Every Castlevania ever

Not Harmony of Dissonance though.  I didn't like that one.

Circle of the Moon and Aria of Sorrow were great.

You could just pretend that one didn't happen like a lot of people.

Actually, I think Dawn on DS was significantly better than Aria.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2011, 02:03:32 pm »

Thanks for the replies!

The first two games I picked up were Mario Kart and Okamiden- I knew I liked Mario Kart from mooching a friends DS in High School, and having played the original Okami the stylus interface seemed an automatic home run. Neither purchase disappointed.

The Golden Sun and Fire Emblem series were highly recommended by my friends, so it is no surprise to see them mentioned here.

Now if you'll excuse me a moment, I need to make some purchases. TO GAMESTOP!
I find a flashcart more convenient.

Also, I heartily recommend Rhythm Tengoku and Rhythm Heaven, for the Advance and DS respectively. Despite having carploads of great games at my disposal, I still kept Rhythm Tengoku on my cart, for all those periods of boredom when you're not sure you want to play something. These games are always playable, even after you've beat them.

And if you do get a flashcart, you might want to try Super Robot Wars J, and Tales of Innocence, for Advance and DS respectively (again). These two great games were fairly recently translated into English by the Aerie, so unless you can read Japanese you won't be able to enjoy these games otherwise.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Pakhawaj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2011, 07:18:44 pm »

For replayability, I always come back to these games:
DS
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
This is an action/RPG style game. I love replaying this game even though I have done it many times, I like the strategies for defeating bosses and using souls in a creative manner or attempting to go through the game using bad equipment (I once defeated the final boss on level 2 using the beginner's weapon. This is not possible unless one knows how ;)). Even if you don't replay the game as many times as I do, once you've beaten the game, you're rewarded with a new game+ with extra options and an entirely new game mode which is just as fun as the original game.
For some reason, I did not especially like any of the later DS Castlevania games. Too linear perhaps.

Ouendan 1 & 2
These are rhythm games. I couldn't say which one is better, the second one has a lot more songs and nicer art but I personally prefer the songs on the first one. I play them both equally probably. They are Japanese, but you don't need any Japanese knowledge to play the game. If you have friends with DS', you can play with them even if they don't own the game. The game is entirely stylus oriented, I always like stylus-oriented games, but I know some do not.

Advance Wars: Dual Strike
This is a strategy game. Compared to the newer Dark Conflict game, this game is incredibly unbalanced but I think the art style and fun characters make up for it (I don't like the Dark Conflict art at all, but it is a good game if you care more about balance), the game has many, many modes to play in and once you've completed the game, you can play in all of these modes with all of the characters providing a unique game every time. The main campaign has different difficulty settings and each map has a completely different strategy for each difficulty setting, and the campaign is rather long! If you get bored of the provided maps or if you just feel like it, you can create your own map using the map maker, which is a fun tool in itself. You can play multiplayer with this game even if your friend does not have a DS, it is nice for those very lazy days, passing the DS back and forth.

Tetris DS
This is Tetris for the DS. It has multiplayer which can be very frustrating or very fun depending on one's opponent.

GBA
Game & Watch Gallery Advance
This has many old Game and Watch games and improved versions of them. They vary in style a lot, but the objective is always to get a lot of points. I wish they would make a new one!

There are loads and loads of excellent games for both these consoles, even better than the ones I have listed (maybe!), but these are the games I always come back to.
I felt so immensely geeky typing all of this out.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2011, 07:21:40 pm »

Note: The guy above me is talking about the European version of Days of Ruin when he says Dark Conflict. There were massive amounts of name changes for that game.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2011, 09:32:18 pm »

Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey
You're on this ship thing and you fight demons.
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor
You're in Tokyo and you fight demons.
They're much better than I describe them. Especially Devil Survivor.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Rabek Jeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2011, 09:41:39 pm »

Ouendan 1 & 2
These are rhythm games. I couldn't say which one is better, the second one has a lot more songs and nicer art but I personally prefer the songs on the first one. I play them both equally probably. They are Japanese, but you don't need any Japanese knowledge to play the game. If you have friends with DS', you can play with them even if they don't own the game. The game is entirely stylus oriented, I always like stylus-oriented games, but I know some do not.

Elite Beat Agents is the English-speaker's version of the Ouendan games. It's apparently a 'spiritual sequel' to the first, and a lot of its innovations were used in the second, according to wiki.

noah22223

• Bay Watcher
  • No. you fucking lose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2011, 09:43:49 pm »

Pokeman Mystery Dungeon.
Roguelike.
Easy till post game.
Then the kid's gloves come off.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWTFG3J1CP8
So I'm a Depressing Jesus Wizard being stalked by Satan Lights, and my home's wiring is going bad?
Goddammit.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2011, 09:03:07 am »

I agree but devil survivor (like most atlus games I buy) is tear your hair out hard (It took me 3 tries to kill wendingo > :()
I'm in the midst of playing strange journey (dungeon crawler /sci-fi etrian odyssey)
I'd hold off on devil survivor Atlus is making a sequel
for the regular d.s and a remake for the 3ds
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2011, 09:32:24 am »

I agree but devil survivor (like most atlus games I buy) is tear your hair out hard (It took me 3 tries to kill wendingo > :()
I'm in the midst of playing strange journey (dungeon crawler /sci-fi etrian odyssey)
I'd hold off on devil survivor Atlus is making a sequel
for the regular d.s and a remake for the 3ds

Both are magical, but yeah, devil survivor is seriously one of the harder SMT games... and considering the general difficulty of the series, that's saying something.

I prefer strange journey, just because the battles and fusion are no-nonsense. I would have liked to seen the diminishing returns toned down, though; grinding is pretty mean when you're getting nothing for a lot of work.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2011, 10:11:39 am »

I know how you feel currently stuck on ouroborus's second phase on chaos path (1st play through); I also enjoyed the Anthony side quests thoroughly
(I miss fire my gun on the field AND in my dreams!!!!!) One of the funniest videogame quotes (in context) ever.
Another recommendation i have is Twewy or the world ends with you (Rocking battle system and music)
Harvest Moon D.S is pretty fun on long car trips (also f**k you Gustafa)
Disgaea ds (can’t hold alight to the disgaea2 psp but *shrugs*) Disgaea d.s is what introduced me to the series
Contact is another great ds game(You play a yourself manipulating as boy who recover gems for an alien scientist, you don't level up but your stats do(think dwarf fortress adventure mode minus dismemberment) The plot is ok but I really liked the ending for some reason.
Dragon quest sentinels of the starry sky is also one of the best looking Rpgs on the D.S
and don't forget about Pokemanz  :P
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Twerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2011, 10:44:57 am »

Hotel Dusk - Room 215
Great graphic novel(adventure game) with beautiful graphics. The plot is pretty great and I am pretty sure you will stick to the end. They also made a sequel but it is only released in Japan.
Actually, the sequel was released in Europe. In English. Last Window: The Secret of Cape West. Not a very obvious name for a sequel, but it does in fact feature Kyle Hyde in a game with the same interface and art style, so. It's a sequel.
Free-to-play games are like the fountains in NetHack. At first, they look refreshing, but when you approach snakes pour out and eat you.

Koja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2011, 02:34:28 am »

Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer
---Roguelike. Polymorphing, inventory destruction, cursing, traps, suicide bombers that do % of total life, breeders, various other "WTF seriously?" gimmicks.The odds are stacked against you, but it's fun. Also has a puzzle mode, to solve some pregenerated dungeons with some special method of solving.

Got mine for 4 bucks or something.

Radiant Historia:
-Chronotrigger-esque time travel RPG. Dunno if it's chronotrigger in scale/epicness, haven't played that much. Looks interesting though.

Chronotrigger- Good game, at least on SNES. Never played on DS.

TWEWY- Good game, never finished. Still have the cart
~~<BR>"Zombie fish have the added benefit of not needing to breath. Thus they can wade out of the water with little to fear but bigger zombie fish" -Willfor
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4