Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 70

Author Topic: Colonies at War: Hyper Edition: Roleplaying/Discussion Thread  (Read 65105 times)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Colonies at War: Hyper Edition: Roleplaying/Discussion Thread
« Reply #855 on: November 09, 2011, 05:37:47 am »

Yeah, still finalizing the turn on my side anyway so...
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: November 09, 2011, 07:41:00 am »

Actually CG, I never whined about you breaking truce. Just found you stupid for doing it early. I know very well, your word can only be trusted as long as it arranges you. (Not a bad thing though. Same applies to me an Terenos).

As for attacking you last turn... Well we had nothing to prove the aliens attacked. I tried contacting the Pewnet and didn't get an answer. Our scientists didn't detect anything (Come on, a space war in low orbit and not a flash?) I was convinced you were just looking for an excuse to delay us. And given CG's previous behavior, you can hardly blame me.

Now, as for peace to fight the aliens menace, you ruled it out yourself a few turn ago. Which I can understand: except if they come in this turn or the next, you have a fair chance of disposing of us before they come.

There is no trust. The turn-based, fast-paced nature of this game means that getting owned once carry a really heavy price tag. For us, it'd mean death, as we're still the underdog here.

Actually, I think the only way to prepare for an alien invasion now would be to fund a neutral organization, X-COM style. Of course, it wouldn't be run by any of us, but would be run jointly (like the CIS was for a short time in Countries @ War). We could agree to earmark some percentage* of our income for X-COM. That way, wether we continue warring or not has no impact on our planet's defense. The relative balance of power doesn't change. Hell, we could be at the same time allies and ennemies, fighting each other and the aliens. :p

*We may start with as low as percentage as 20% but we'll soon need at least 60-70% for planet defense.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

CyberGenesis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: November 09, 2011, 05:07:05 pm »

Our turns were entirely public last turn, which we urged USEC to validate. We hid nothing, you had no reason to think we were going to push the attack. You still struck. There's no moral high ground for you to stand on there.

No obviously signs on the ground? Low -or- high orbit doesn't mean much when they weren't catastrophic blasts. A simple boarding party after some disabling shots.

Tari, the sins of the person that funded your rebellion weigh as heavily on you as they do on him. You accepted his aid to get back into this game, you're going to be held to the same problems of trust. You're no longer able to claim innocence.

EDIT: And if 100k gets you something crippling to the game Tari? I'm going to be severely annoyed by the nearly million-dollar research for the Core Tap which I'm sure will hardly have a ROI approaching decent. Orbital Habitats already have a 7turn ROI and that's WITH the Space Elevators making the launch costs decent.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 05:21:55 pm by CyberGenesis »
Everything below this line is a distant memory
------------------------------------------------------
Evil Genius - Round 1 - Concluded
Evil Genius - Round 2 - Scrapped
Planet@War: Starting Soon

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: November 09, 2011, 05:35:09 pm »

You know as well as me that you could have moved troop without stating so in your turn. And I don't remember USEC saying he didn't receive anything from you by PM. If he did so, well then it's my fault, right.

But anyway, why do we keep arguing about morals? We both betrayed each other, we both lied. You did so more often than me, but I don't care. This is war. Morals only exists as pretext and justification.

Now, we've got a real problem: aliens. Peace between us has been ruled out by Terenos himself, although I'd still like it. (We could ask USEC to certify no attacks are made, justifying them as international observers). That let us with two options: 1st one is to fight. At this point, I'd say you've got 70-80% chance of winning, but it would also mean that most of the planet's (it really does need a name) GDP is lost on troops that will be destroyed, effectively letting the alien curb-stomp whoever win.

Second one is my X-COM idea. That way, a significant portion of the world's GDP would be spent preparing for the alien onslaught while we can continue fighting each other, and this without altering the balance of power. I'd say 50% of GDP sound right to me, but this is still open to discussion.

P.S. And don't underestimate lateral thinking. Maybe Taricus can think of an idea that is cheaper than drilling to the planet's core and bring enormous chance.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: November 09, 2011, 05:39:33 pm »

Second one is my X-COM funding idea.

P.S. And don't underestimate lateral thinking. Maybe Taricus can think of an idea that is cheaper than drilling to the planet's core and bring enormous chance.
Bolded your contribution sheb :P

And it isn't too hard to find something to distrupt the balances in our favour with 100K. Just have to look for the right thing. At any rate, turn coming soon (FINALLY!)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: November 09, 2011, 05:42:19 pm »

Well, it's not only abou funding, but also about control (Supranational body, probably with one vote per alliance and consensus decision-making.)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: November 09, 2011, 05:51:34 pm »

Alright, alright. MORE than just the funding. I still came up with the fundamental idea though...

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: November 09, 2011, 05:56:02 pm »

My funds will not be used to aid anything that does not bring my chances of victory upwards. As I know I am being attacked (Adwarf is attacking me, Phantom will likely do so as well) my funds are going to be used to defeat my enemies. Then I'm going to assist CG in finishing his war. I might research a few things that will help me fight off an alien menace but..Well, mostly not.

The aliens are not my concern, currently. No one can trust each other for even a turn. And of course you cant see crap all up there..No one cares about space but ME. No observatories, no space based devices.

You guys can talk all you like about the need to develop something to stop the alien menace. I proposed that last turn, that we bend our research in that direction... From the looks of things, only I did. And as I'm not on board with the plan, you guys cant put anything towards it cause you need those resources to stop me from flat out killing you.

As I said, I'm not doing any attacks this turn. I'm positioning to minimize losses from the attacks I am going to see. And when I see those attacks I will destroy anyone who dared. Which means BD is pretty much off the hook, cause cmon..3 militia? Cant touch me. Course if he builds up, that'll change.
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

CyberGenesis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: November 09, 2011, 09:48:05 pm »

The fact of the matter is, you're now sitting here asking us to do something we proposed last turn - and were shot in the face for doing so.

1 vote per alliance? so thats what, me and tere vs the rest of you - theres no way that voting can work

You're also sitting here acting like you weren't, and still aren't, threatening global viral meltdown. You opened the door to a M.A.D. strategy, we gave you an out and a chance to screw us further, you chose to attack and force us to eliminate you and damn the consequences afterward. YOU wanted to end the world and everyone on it, now you're all acting paranoid because -we- might actually allow it to happen. We have an out if you fire your bioweapons - Do you have an out in the face of alien incursion?
Everything below this line is a distant memory
------------------------------------------------------
Evil Genius - Round 1 - Concluded
Evil Genius - Round 2 - Scrapped
Planet@War: Starting Soon

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: November 10, 2011, 12:48:12 am »

No CG. What I'm proposing does not require you to trust us. It does not in the least affect your chance of victory (at most it will slow down the pace of fighting, but time is on YOUR side).

No matter what you say, the fact is hat we had no reasons to trust you last turn. When you spend most of the game screwing people over, you cannot expect them to suddenly start trusting you CG. You were the kid that cried wolf. (Plus, I totally swear before to destroy you. Go back to page 2 or something).

1 vote par alliance is because 1 vote per countries would screw you so much. It basically mean X-COM would be ruled by consensus, thus preventing it from helping any of us. X-COM would also be your out in the face of alien incursion. Even if we loose, we can make sure that you both loose at least two turn's worth of money. Enough to give the aliens an edge.

P.S. Well, you were attacking all of us at the time, you remember? Threatening global viral meltdown was our only way out (and mind you, I didn't research it, I ust used whatever I had on my hands).

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: November 10, 2011, 12:58:43 am »

Why would we both give up a turns production if we were plotting betrayal? Taricus' rebellion would already be over if I had the army I planned to build last turn. Oh and Sheb? You'd be fighting with 5 less provinces. It was a genuine effort to make peace.
You might not have trusted CG, but I could expect at least somewhat that there would be some trust for me. But clearly not. Additionally, I was counter-threatening when I saw a) a secret project and b) a bunch of smack talk about how it would kick my ass. As my ass remains unkicked..well..yeah.

My stance right now is pretty simple. Open turns and no hostile moves against me, And I'll consider diplomacy next turn. But as I have no reason to trust any of you... My build up wont stop, I'm not pledging funds to anything your side comes up with, and I'll see you all on the battlefield in turn.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: November 10, 2011, 04:27:37 am »

Look, are you going to make a desicion regarding the anti-xeno organization or not Terenos? This affects my turn...

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: November 10, 2011, 05:13:56 am »

Do whatever you like. Failure to surrender to my demands (All technology granted by Sheb) will result in your immediate death next turn.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: November 10, 2011, 06:09:43 am »

Look, you focus on me and ou'll end up with a bloody guerilla war...

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: November 10, 2011, 06:15:19 am »

"Focus" Don't enter into it. One army. One attack. What else do I need?
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 70