Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 70

Author Topic: Colonies at War: Hyper Edition: Roleplaying/Discussion Thread  (Read 65090 times)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Colonies at War: Hyper Edition: Roleplaying/Discussion Thread
« Reply #870 on: November 10, 2011, 06:19:32 am »

Okay, you have made you decision. I'm not going to try and get you to change your mind.

EDIT: RIGHT, TURN IS HERE!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 06:32:36 am by Taricus »
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: November 10, 2011, 07:15:00 am »

Well, that's why I didn't attack you. I only brought back my two friends here to get the education and espionage bonus, and I now realize that was a mistake. I honestly don't have much against you. I want CG down however. Hell, I'd promise to submit to you if you'd let me bring him down first.

Oh, and you'll remember that I gave up my turn's production too. Had you attacked me, you could have taken out both Phantom and Bdthemag entirely (I didn't know you didn't know about using airplanes to take provinces, since it is a tactic I've used before). CG could have crippled me.

But anyway, I do not see why you oppose the X-COM idea. Nevermind where it comes from, it would let us prepare for an alien invasion, while still kicking each other's asses. It basically create a whole new level of play.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: November 10, 2011, 07:46:34 am »

Funding rebellion in my territory is a fairly hostile act. Threatening to fund large numbers of bioweapons..Not really winning friends here.

Why strike at my neighbors? BD was peaceful and content to do his research. Phantom, while -apparently- my enemy at least so far as his turn fluff goes, hadn't taken a swing at me yet. And attacking you wouldn't have been profitable, given your navy sort of trumps mine (Still does). I still saw the war coming, and tried to defuse it. I figured you'd all rather deal than be annihilated.

Why would I care about the X-COM idea? If I give up resources to it, theres every possibility it can be used against me. If I just fund my war machine, I kick all your asses and then use the entire resources of New Terra (Ssh i got tired of calling it E43-C or whatever its numerical classification is) to stop alien invasion.
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: November 10, 2011, 07:47:22 am »

It can't be used against you if it's a neutral power...

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: November 10, 2011, 08:11:43 am »

I don't even see the purpose of an alien hunting agency. They'll have the same capabilities as us unless they start catching aliens and reverse engineering their tech. Assuming they'll infiltrate and not outright attack. Cause outright attack seems to be their style.
Which means our resources are better spent working together on things like surface to space weapons cannons, orbital defenses, space ships of our own, better weapons and defense tech.. Orbital observatories to see them coming..
The sum total of our knowledge regarding this threat is nadda..Hell we can only barely be certain there is an active threat against humanity.

We need a military organization, armed with better generation gear than we've got.X-COM is not the answer.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: November 10, 2011, 08:15:56 am »

And your ideas pretty much point out WHY they'll infiltrate. Everything has a weakness, and the fact those instillations need crew is one of them. SO weaponry isn't going to be small or fast enough to track any smaller craft coming in. And there's no guarantee that even if we do have those that it'll work...

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: November 10, 2011, 08:44:04 am »

"Need crew"? Cmon, We all have AI tech here.

Lets assume the aliens have sufficient technology to kick our asses (This has been proven when they kicked our asses twice now.). In the event of sufficient technology to kick our asses (And leave no trace!) why bother infiltrating? What purpose can it serve? Studying our defenses? Pointless if they can just breeze through them. Really. We have Lasers and Advanced alloys, as our generation of weapons tech. The Pwenet had the same. Maybe -slightly- better. And it is now probably nearly irreparably damaged.
Our technology isn't up to what we need yet. So anything we attempt right now, is pretty much worthless.

If they think even remotely logically, They wont waste manpower or resources to do something that is unnecessary. IE: Infiltration

Now I'll admit, pretty much everything is conjecture at this point. So lets get some actionable intel here. Build orbital observatories, build ground based telescopes, some kind of scanning devices. Something that will tell us whats out there and get us started on a plan of defense.
But always, Always assume an unknown enemy has resources and capabilities that are way ahead of yours. And plan accordingly.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 08:46:32 am by Terenos »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: November 10, 2011, 09:01:00 am »

At this point, I'm assuming they're psionic, highly competant, and possibly terravoric.

As for infiltration, they're aliens. We don't know what motivations they have, and even if we did they'd be mostly uncomprehendable to us anyway.

Mind you, the advantages of a small force ala X-COM is that it's far cheaper and efficient to equip a small force with advanced weaponry then it is a large force. equipping everyone with that sort of tech would be best but we can't do that, thanks in no small part to you...

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: November 10, 2011, 06:48:18 pm »

Unless you can offer me concrete proof that there -is- an alien infiltration, I can't give up funds. Cause in my eyes your argument for there being infiltration is shaky at best.

And..We -could- equip the world with advanced stuff.. Its not entirely my fault here. I was working towards peace.

Hey USEC how are we doing on turns anyways? BD In yet?

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: November 10, 2011, 07:19:24 pm »

Nope. Haven't heard from him. I'll PM him tomorrow.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: November 11, 2011, 02:39:00 pm »

Damn, I fail to communicate again. Even tough it would be called X-COM (or anything else), it would be a military organization, which would do research and build both Terra-based troops to fight an alien landing and a space force to take the war to them. It would build observatories, space stations, orbital shipyard... All that using half of the world's money.

And yeah you were working for peace (Well, you did land troops to attack me). But allying up with someone who is know for reapeated betrayal of his word wasn't the smartest thing to do. Still sorry I misjudged yah.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: November 11, 2011, 07:55:11 pm »

It still slows down the war, when slowing down the war isnt something I want. Since we can't work together and this has been demonstrated over and over, there is no reason to attempt to work together via this project. I will use my cash to run you all down.

I mean lets use my next turn as an example. You guys will likely be at generation 5 (this would put the X-COM organization at gen 5). Now, Im not going to be getting that gen 5. I'll need gen 5 to continue my war in an efficient cost-effective way. So I'll be placing 1m into both weapon and defense technologies. I could of course, fund that 2m into weapons/defense for X-COM, but that doesn't assist me in the furthering of my war. Even if I only get Gen 5 out of it myself (and the odds say I will), I need that increase in personal power, not world defense power. Cause when it comes down to it, I am capable of being world defense power all on my own.

I landed those troops prior to this whole 'omg there might be aliens' thing. You're right though, he could betray me. Or I could get tarred with the same brush. But if he was going to betray me, he'd be making deals with you, and I'd observe much less in the way of actual combat between you two. Really though, I never expected any actual peace to occur.

CyberGenesis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: November 12, 2011, 01:42:51 am »

Nope. Haven't heard from him. I'll PM him tomorrow.

Kind of a dick move to start a new game when you're slackassing pretty hard on the ones already in play.
Everything below this line is a distant memory
------------------------------------------------------
Evil Genius - Round 1 - Concluded
Evil Genius - Round 2 - Scrapped
Planet@War: Starting Soon

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: November 12, 2011, 03:21:19 am »

Yes, it'd slow down the war. But do I need to remember that you're making more than us? Time is on your side, not mine. The only advantage I get from X-COM is that if we win, we do not win the right to serve as alien's burger.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: November 12, 2011, 03:43:42 am »

Then lets stop fighting, and work together to push our technology levels further. Give me the gen 5 techs, and I'll push us even further.
Having just ordered up 70 odd units, I can probably relax my production for a turn, and can add a huge amount of resources to protecting us. Without worrying about getting attacked.

My issue with defending against alien invasion, is that I reckon we need every ounce of income this planet will provide, and then some. Now, I have a fair amount of planetary power either directly controlled by me, or allied to me. So I can push a military victory. But I have no intel on what might be coming for us. So am I concerned? Yes.
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 70