Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70

Author Topic: Colonies at War: Hyper Edition: Roleplaying/Discussion Thread  (Read 65005 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Colonies at War: Hyper Edition: Roleplaying/Discussion Thread
« Reply #1005 on: January 01, 2012, 04:42:13 am »

Well, I'd loike to continue playing, but I don't think I can muster a huge plan that would beat Terenos in a couple of turns. Especially since he apparently cowed you into proscribing lateral thinking (Or forcine players to play by the rules, depending on how you look at it. :p).

Still, if the games does end, I'd like to point out that Phantom and his shadowy friend were going to sneak attack on Terenos this very turn.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: January 01, 2012, 04:43:45 am »

Him? Actually, he's pretty strong driven in trying to get me NOT to attack him.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: January 01, 2012, 05:03:51 am »

With -what- pray tell? Phantom has no boats, So a naval attack is out. I suppose he could borrow the boats of Murray but I do have a navy down there, its just small and mostly ineffectual.

My turn post (faffing about with research) is based on having dashed your alliance. If this were not the case, lets see, can the current Soyuz forces stop my armies from pushing into his territory? No. You'd stop perhaps 1, possibly as many as 2. If he used his army. And that means he couldnt very well go and launch an attack at my coastline. And I highly doubt 1 rifleman and 1 laser battleship are greatly capable of conquering my coastline. Especially given I knew about Murray AND his secret attack and was planning reinforcements. Hell I knew about him so much that I knew he was going to feign neutrality when he was discovered.

I'm sure theres a lateral thinking method of defeating me. But who wishes to play it out for ~6 months? Given the turns are taking so long. There comes a time when theres no direct hope of victory, because anything tricky you do is money you arent spending building troops. All I have to do is build troops for 1 more turn and I can seize a military victory on the pure basis of 'no one can damn well stop me'. And then I can spend money dismantling your sneaky plans.
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: January 01, 2012, 05:20:05 am »

Well, since this is a GAME, I might as well have, I don't know, FUN in the end. Otherwise, it wouldn't be much of a game, would it? Besides, the most sophisticated plan I have is "throw bodies at him until one side dies". And hey, I'm willing to go on for six months.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 05:23:05 am by Phantom »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: January 01, 2012, 12:28:36 pm »

Terenos, I only told you because the game IS over. So it's "let's compare our sneaky tactics" time.

Phantom would have hurt you a little and forced you to divert troops. In the meantime, I'd have to convince adwarf to switch side (again) to delay you some more. (I didn't even try, but it should be possible).

As for attacking me, Phantom/Murray could have target a few of your coastal provinces, blocking some of your ships from being built (I assume they were being built next to them, I didn't even have a look at you turn, what with my exams and all.).

This turn, I'd have focused on wrecking CG, and building massive amounts of air power (basically my standard air/arty mix, with some more air power than usual). Using my time-tried tactics of letting the PDF hurt his units while I attack some selected province.

Next turn, I would use my airplanes to sink your navy, and all the troops being carried. That would delay you for one more turn, that I could use to crush CG some more. By turn 13 I should be in full control of my continent, able to use all my cash tu support Pahntom against you.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: January 01, 2012, 04:21:27 pm »

Assuming the war went on(My turn would of course be changed).. This turn, Phantom loses his border provinces to me, and I gain anywhere from 50-80 new units. As I said, he'd stop perhaps 1, maybe 2 of my armies.  PDF barely assists him, as half his lands are of a different ethnicity.  I respect him as an adversary but he simply lacks the unit count to slow me down.
Projected survival 4 turns, Projected requirements in military assets: 4-5 armies.

Adwarf seems far more interested in dead-end research. Not to mention any military build up and I'd smash him down again. He had his chance to be a factor in this game, he wont be now.

Depending on where Phantom places his army, I will lose 1-3 provinces of coastline. Knowing of course about MajorMurray(And yes, I -knew-. Taricus told me. Then Adwarf told me), I would obviously reinforce my coastline with spare laser rifles. Given the inability to hit my core production provinces, or my intended naval production centers: My army growth is not interrupted.

CG would never give up. His army is still large and capable, and every battle that you two fight weakens your overall position as the Wasteland features keep adding up. Even if you did manage to beat him conclusively by turn 13, you'd be facing down me, with ~58 provinces, +3 if Ligoria folds into me, +7 if I have to crush Adwarf again. And +2 with the islands of Major Murray.
Your holdings would therefore be the remaining 50 provinces, badly scarred by wasteland features. We could safely assume I would have the economic advantage.
But we can also safely assume that as CG is still holding on, your belief you can defeat him in 2 turns, is somewhat laughable. The only possible way, is knowing precisely where all his armies will be and being there, and winning those fights.

I have the most troops Sheb, I have $3m in income. Phantom has $1.2m. And I'm the side with cheaper units (20 for the price of 10). I have superior generals, and I have superior signalling. The enemies on my continent require barely half of my military capacity right now. And that military capacity will only grow.
When I defeat phantom, add ~1m to my income. Now I have $4m in income. You have ~1.5 now, and CG has ~1m. When added together we can likely assume it will only come to around 2.4m (Much more wasteland).  Given you possess no significant advantage over me now, you'll be on the defensive.
And I'll still have more troops, better initiative, more income overall, and disposable income with which I can research and improve my armies' standing. And come next turn I have your side's technology.

I'm not saying its impossible to defeat me, I'm saying you need to get lucky each and every engagement. Is my plan particularly sneaky? Not really. It doesn't have to be. Theres no sneakiness waiting for me in the shadows.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: January 01, 2012, 05:59:00 pm »

Actually the point of my research, Project:AUTUMN, was going to act as an insurance plan if you betrayed me I was going to destroy the Pwenet completely, and flee the system.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: January 02, 2012, 02:39:07 am »

Well, yep. But that's if you had the opportunities to change your turn. Having dealt with CG, I could win enough time to NUKE the planet, effectively ending the game in a stalemate.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: January 02, 2012, 03:02:11 am »

Well of course I would, yknow the whole two months before any work on the turn starts happening..

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: January 02, 2012, 03:06:18 am »

Well, it only hold if you knew Phantom was going to attack you.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: January 02, 2012, 03:16:20 am »

I'd have to presume that he would be attacking me, but he could be granted a turns leniency to show otherwise (Provided no military buildup). Its not as though I dont have the spare troops to keep him contained, while still building up more troops in my manufacturing areas. Its not as though a single turn costs me anything when he can't really hit anywhere important.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: January 02, 2012, 04:23:15 am »

Yeah, so you wouldn't have changed this turn. My plan still holds. :p

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: January 02, 2012, 04:32:55 am »

What plan? Mystically defeating the guy on your continent you've been fighting for what, 8 turns now? I'm not trying to disparage your military strategy here but I'm not seeing it.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: January 02, 2012, 05:36:14 am »

Well, keeping you out of my mess for at least 2 (possibly 3) turns.
As for CG, I've been doing pretty well. At this point, I'm what, twice his size? And he cannot fully use his (larger) army cause of PDF. Sure, I'd need to use my whine-fu to get the PDF back or a compensation, but beating him some more in a couple of turn seems entirely plausible to me.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: January 02, 2012, 10:30:11 pm »

So your plan relied fully on the GM giving you something overpowered so you could stay alive?

Well damn. My plan for the GM to just declare me the victor would have beaten that.
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70