Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need help on new playable Civ : Spiderman  (Read 1251 times)

Cheveux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Need help on new playable Civ : Spiderman
« on: June 02, 2011, 06:31:37 pm »

Hello modders!

Since last week I feel the need to mod DF and I mean something else than make GCS lay eggs and have the [PET] tag. So I thought I'd add a new playable Civ for DF : Spiderman (temp name, I may change it to Arachnid), but since I'm still a beginner in modding, I would like it if someone could make me a list of things I need to add/change in the raws to make it possible.
 So far I started to work on the actual creature :
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The creature is an humanoid with 6 arms, 8 eyes, chitin instead of skin and mandibles. I just copy pasted to dwarf raws and changed it to fit what I wanted.
So I added HUMANOID_6ARMS :
6ARMS_STANCE :
8EYES :
GENERIC_TEETH_WITH_MANDIBLES :
I also added some BODY_DETAIL_PLAN :

And now I don't really know what I have to do next. I know there's a lot more to do and would appreciate it if someone would give me some pointers and check if my raws are ok.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Need help on new playable Civ : Spiderman
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 06:52:58 am »

Has to be said...can they do whatever a spider can?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 07:57:59 am »

Thats a good point.  Try and get them to web.  Nick the raws from GCS
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Cheveux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 01:50:55 pm »

I thought about it and I didn't want to make them too overpowered. I may make them immune to GCS poison and web though.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 10:09:55 pm »

No, no, if they can't climb walls or detect danger, at least give them webs! It's not that overpowered. They'll still die like sheep, just sheep that can shoot webs.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Cheveux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 03:01:19 am »

They're basically bigger dwarves with six arms, they are already kind of overpowered.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 07:28:25 am »

They're basically bigger dwarves with six arms, they are already kind of overpowered.
Okay...why are half-spiders bigger than dwarves? Just asking...
Sig

Cheveux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 09:30:28 am »

They're more half-man half-GCS.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 10:31:59 am »

Make them carnivores for balance.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2011, 10:42:02 am »

Has to be said...can they do whatever a spider can?

[DESCRIPTION:Does whatever a spider can.]

Cheveux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2011, 10:59:39 am »

I don't know about making them carnivores, look at what happened to the cutebolds...

While discussing balancing issue about the wonderful creatures I'm making is truly entertaining (it really is), I would appreciate if someone was able to answer the question in my first post.

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammered Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2011, 12:45:47 pm »

I can't recall if you can give different castes different bodysizes.  If you can, you should definitely make the females way bigger than the males.

Otherwise, I'd say playing with castes--instead of just generic "spiderdorfs," what if you did a bunch of different castes of different kinds of spiders?  Wolf-spiderdorfs could be good at hunting, Argiope-spiderdorfs could be good at spinning, etc.  Spiders have crazy variations, so you could find different spiders for all sorts of natural skills!
In other news, the trees in my game can have invisible sex.

Interus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2011, 03:05:56 pm »

If what you've got there works for creating the creature, than what you have to do next is make them an actual civ.  The simplest way to do that would be opening up entity_default and changing [CREATURE:DWARF](pretty close to the top) to [CREATURE:SPIDERMAN]. 

Other than that, I'm not entirely sure what your question was.  I just went with the simplest option for what you should do next since you made the creature and want it to be a civ.

Cheveux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2011, 03:11:34 pm »

Otherwise, I'd say playing with castes--instead of just generic "spiderdorfs," what if you did a bunch of different castes of different kinds of spiders?  Wolf-spiderdorfs could be good at hunting, Argiope-spiderdorfs could be good at spinning, etc.  Spiders have crazy variations, so you could find different spiders for all sorts of natural skills!

That's a good idea. I think I'll make custom workshop that only certain spider can go to (if that's even possible) spin their webs.

I think I'll also make every spider better at wrestling and biting.