Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Routes  (Read 700 times)

astaldaran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Routes
« on: June 02, 2011, 04:51:55 pm »

I checked the wiki and searched the forums and found related problems..but no real solution.

I've been playing the game for 7 months now but have only now setup my first route.  I have castle like fortress above my fort; there I have strawberries, trade, etc. Anyway the wall is quite thick; even has barracks in it and two archery ranges.  On the top of my wall there is a floor and the second story has an outside wall that is engraved with fortifications.

I want my marksdwarfs to patrol the second level...but they don't. Any ideas as to why? It seems like some come up stairs sometime and just stand there.

I'd like to compile what we know about routes (and there problems) and update the wiki because it isn't very useful presently.

Thanks

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Routes
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 04:56:44 pm »

The best solution would probably be to give up on the marksdwarves. They are notoriously hard to work with, especially getting them to effectively patrol battlements. I haven't bothered trying with them much, though. so that's all I have to contribute here.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 05:13:57 pm »

There was a thread just yesterday about marksdwarves and routes, but I can't find it now.  In it a number of folks talked about how they had routes set up to allow their dwarves to fire on hostiles, then go and reload their quiver, then return to patrolling and shooting up baddies.

Did you give the squad orders in the military screen (m -> s -> set up orders to follow the route)?
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

astaldaran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 05:15:43 pm »

There was a thread just yesterday about marksdwarves and routes, but I can't find it now.  In it a number of folks talked about how they had routes set up to allow their dwarves to fire on hostiles, then go and reload their quiver, then return to patrolling and shooting up baddies.

Did you give the squad orders in the military screen (m -> s -> set up orders to follow the route)?

Yes  I did. I did see a thread about marksdwarves being behind fortifications...the issue they were having was getting more then a couple to fire. Someone suggested routes but I don't think it is quite the same topic--but related.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 06:10:08 pm »

If you wanted it, here's the thread.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=85688.0

It's not directly related to your problem, but it's helpful. This is how you can get marksdwarves to guard from the second level (but not fully patrol it).

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 07:15:07 pm »

If you wanted it, here's the thread.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=85688.0

It's not directly related to your problem, but it's helpful. This is how you can get marksdwarves to guard from the second level (but not fully patrol it).
Yeah, thats the one.  The first post on teh second page (Psieye posting info from Girlinhat) gives the instructions for setting up routes and having your squads use them.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 08:19:39 pm »

Burrow them to the top of the wall.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 10:10:44 pm »

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4482

Copperglove, a modest fort in progress. The marksdwarf squad trains during training schedule, and two other alerts (patrol, gate defense) only have active orders for marksdwarves. It's in Ironhand's so you'll need to remove that if you want to see vanilla tileset, but everything works as well as it should. Study if you like.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.