Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 26

Author Topic: The Outpost - Dawn of a new colony [Zzzz]  (Read 27856 times)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Outpost - Dawn of a new colony
« Reply #285 on: July 08, 2011, 09:35:10 pm »

I say we send one of the crystals home, see if they can't figure what they are.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: July 08, 2011, 10:01:32 pm »

Well we could send through one of the crystals. But this may lead to another mission from the King to acquire many more. And this is winter, a time when I don't necessarily want our scouts far from home.
Not to mention that I don't yet feel comfortable with that section of the map. Ideally we will make note of this cave, Perhaps explore it more during spring. I'm alright with sending the crystal back home.

Now to business. Hunters hunt, farmers all fish (docks and canoe for whoever can, shoreline for everyone else). Lumberjacks cut wood, Miners mine ore (I imagine something like 100 stored, and we can resume stonecutting). Guards cover the ore miners.
Builders..Well. I see no reason not to. Start the Windmill. We have the wood for it. May as well get started. It'll take 2 months anyways.
Scouts..*Shrug* I dunno. My vote is help with woodcutting because we havent rolled well in winter before.
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #287 on: July 08, 2011, 11:15:36 pm »

I agree that we should send one of the crystals back, see if they can identify it. The next time we trade with the lizard folk, we should ask them about it.

I agree that our hunters should hunt and our farmers should fish. Lumberjacks should cut wood, and miners should mine ore, with the guards covering them.
The builders, however, I think should work on upgrading the sawmill. Or maybe some other base building that's of more immediate use than the windmill.
Scouts should trade with lizardfolk and ask about the crystals, I guess, if it's too dangerous to send them scouting.

Also maybe we should consider that ore for map trade? Or build a forge so we can trade them metal items? It's not very nice to keep them hanging.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 11:19:40 pm by Angle »

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: July 09, 2011, 08:52:02 am »

Also maybe we should consider that ore for map trade? Or build a forge so we can trade them metal items? It's not very nice to keep them hanging.
We did this already
Wow, that's actually really friggin' awesome looking.
That is brilliant.
That is hilarious, Ashton. I love it.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Totally not a narcissist.

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: July 09, 2011, 09:15:30 am »

Yes let's start the windmill upgrade if we can, else they help cut wood. Yes mine ore, and let's get fishing!

I was thinking could we give the scouts the canoe and tell them to go to the lizards with the crystal to ask them. We should send a single one home and tell them it was the only one, keep the other one hidden, maybe we can task a few people to examine it?

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: July 09, 2011, 03:14:26 pm »

Yes let's start the windmill upgrade if we can, else they help cut wood. Yes mine ore, and let's get fishing!

I was thinking could we give the scouts the canoe and tell them to go to the lizards with the crystal to ask them. We should send a single one home and tell them it was the only one, keep the other one hidden, maybe we can task a few people to examine it?
Please not in the canoe, if they capsize the crystal will be at the bottom of the lake (with freezing souts). Two guards should also be sent with the scouts to insure it isn't stolen if it happens to be valuable.
We should try to avoid lying if we can help it. Remember the king has an army and a portal inside of our HQ.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #291 on: July 09, 2011, 04:27:05 pm »

We don't need to take the crystal to the lizard people, just ask them about it. And no, lying to the king is a bad idea.

And again, The windmill doesn't need to be built until spring! we have three or four months before it would give us any bonus! we should build something immediately useful!

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: July 09, 2011, 04:36:00 pm »

The windmill will take 2 months to build. Why shouldn't we start it now? And have its bonus available from the very beginning of the new year? We're still not doing -too- well in terms of food.
Where pray tell will the 160 wood come from again? 10% boost to resource collection. We'd be cutting lumber for another 3-4 months, and then 2 months to build it.
I don't know about you but I'd rather have that boost be to food, rather than lumber, to begin with. An upgraded sawmill can come later. A windmill is important now.
And yes, Lets send the ore to the Lizardmen.

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: July 09, 2011, 04:43:08 pm »

I'd also prioritize a windmill to an upgraded sawmill actually at this point.
That is brilliant.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #294 on: July 09, 2011, 04:47:59 pm »

We have enough wood to start the upgraded sawmill, and could gather enough to finish it in one turn. But it would then take us another two or three turns to gather enough wood for the windmill. This isn't too bad, because we'd have to wait a turn for the builders to catch up. But still, worst case, this could cause us to not have our windmill until a month or two after spring. I don't think that's so big a deal, but I guess you think otherwise? Hmm.

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: July 09, 2011, 04:55:53 pm »

well the sawmill we can have any time I suppose but food ASAP can't be bad
That is brilliant.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #296 on: July 09, 2011, 04:57:23 pm »

We've already got some decent farming. As long as we survive the winter, we should be fine, at least until we have both the mills built.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: July 09, 2011, 05:01:57 pm »

Construction would be completed (For either) at the end of the 2nd month of winter, giving our bonus for the 3rd month.
We have 134 wood and require 160. This means 26 of whatever we gather this month (1st of Winter), will go towards its completion. So lets assume we get anywhere from 9-29 additional wood (after filling the requirements) from this months labor, And 35-55 wood for the 2nd month where we have enough to build it, and are just stockpiling. This would put us at ~44-84 wood for the 3rd month of winter, when our sawmill would be level 2.

And we'd gain (with sawmill), 38-60 wood on the new month, Putting us anywhere from 82-144 for the beginning of spring. Insufficient to build, OR start, our Windmill unless we do well on our rolls. Thus we'd need to wait an additional month at the least, 2 months at the most to start. This is time when we could be gaining additional food. Cause I'm sure we'll get more people.
Currently a 10% increase on our food would be anywhere from 10-20 additional food a month. Given our current food stocks, I say this is a stronger move, and it appears others agree.

Tell me, Are we so flush with food that we should consider other concerns? Each winter we have come close to starvation. Over the course of a new year, with no additional development via farms, or extra people we should see anywhere from ~90-180 additional food for our silo(with a better windmill,assuming no critical fails so on.). This would give us the stocks to move comfortably through winter without worrying nearly as much.

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: July 10, 2011, 11:15:50 am »

We should listen to Terenos, start the windmill when we can.
Good point on the crystal being lost, we should leave the scouts unguide for the whole winter. We can send them to the lizard men in the spring.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: July 10, 2011, 11:42:17 am »

You already traded the ore to the lizardmen.  They didn't give you specific map info, but described the terrain surrounding them- check the flavor.  All directions are in reference to the lizardman city.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 26