Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 26

Author Topic: The Outpost - Dawn of a new colony [Zzzz]  (Read 27874 times)

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Outpost - Dawn of a new colony
« Reply #225 on: June 23, 2011, 11:29:04 am »

Is there something we can do to improve the yield of our farms? Upgrading our windmill, for example? It'll have to wait until after the sawmill, of course.
Yes we can upgrade it, that is in the plans. Also I believe hunting and fishing are the same.
Sawmill(tons of woodcutters!) -> Windmill(Upgrade farmers) -> Pier -> Hq(more scouts) -> Wall(add stone? we have abundance?) ->  Watchtower(Two?)
Feel free to modify and suggest your own.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: June 23, 2011, 11:34:19 am »

In that topic, is there something we can do to improve the yield of our farms? Upgrading our windmill, for example?

That is correct.

Is fishing more effective/reliable than farming?

Neither.  However, it can be done year-round.

EDIT:  Ninjaed.  Fishing depends on what you're fishing from, and ranges from worse to better than hunting.  On the one hand, anyone can fish, but on the other, ship fishing requires ships.

And whats that tile with the little trees on the plains tile mean again???

In the southeast?  Shrubland.

As far as construction of the ruined tower, there's no clear indication who made it or with what.  It's in bad shape.

The homeland is open for trading- just specify how much you want to send back of what and what you want in return.

The homeland wants:

Ore > Stone > Wood > Food  (Big steps here- they really want minerals, especially ore)

The homeland will give:

Food > People > Wood  (Fairly big steps here as well- they're an agrarian society on excellent farmland, but sorely lacking in mineral wealth.  Them coming to build buildings for you is pretty much reward-only.)

Our focus as spring drew to a close was on gathering wood.  There were many who desired a sawmill, seeing it as the key to further improvement of our colony.  On that note, all the new hands and many of the old ones headed to the woods, bringing in a good haul of logs for us.

Food went well too, with a good harvest and good hunting.

The scouts finally had some success.  While they were unable to find the actual location of the city, they are reasonably sure it is located somewhere in the marshy wetlands by the lake.

While we desired to train eight more farmers so as to make use of all available farmland, two of the trainees took sick after a couple days of training and were unable to participate for the whole month.  They have recovered, but they learned nothing.

Some troubling news.  A patrol of guards checked on the ore mine as part of their circuit, and they all reported the same feeling that they were being watched.  They saw none of the northerners, but they were all too eager to leave.  What do they want?  Why did they attack our scouts with no provocation?

Spoiler: Results (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Area Map (click to show/hide)

Finally your scouts roll something not abysmal!  I have to update the map!

The next update will probably be Monday, as I'm gone this weekend.  Take your time to cook up a grand plan.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #227 on: June 23, 2011, 12:04:51 pm »

Alright! lets begin work on that sawmill- we're 3 wood short, so lets have our laborers cut wood again.

Our farmers of course should farm, and our hunters should hunt. Our miners should mine some more ore.

We should send the scouts down to follow the lake shore through the marsh, that should lead them to the lizardmen city.

Our guards should go with the miners, to keep them safe if anyone attacks.

Eventually, we're going to need to do something about whoever is staking out our mine. Should we maybe work on setting up a forge or something?

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 23, 2011, 12:09:51 pm »

Well I think we can all agree that our Farmers farm, and our hunters hunt. And 2 hunters become 2 farmers.
This, goes without saying.

Now! We made a grand month in terms of lumber harvesting. I move for the immediate construction of our sawmill as we are 8 wood off having the supplies, and we've been able to build things before if we harvested the goods that turn. So our Laborers working on Lumber, should give us more than enough to build a Sawmill. Any spare builders should help with the lumber gathering too.

As far as our miners. This, is an important decision and I'd like to see some debate. The northerners are watching our ore mine. So if we return there we must guard it. But they made no hostile moves this month (and we can be fairly certain who was watching). One can assume from this that we crossed into their territory without treaty or permission, potentially. The attack happened one tile north of our ore mine after all, but they did not interfere with the mine itself, or our mining.

Ore is important, and we have limited amounts.
Building troops will cost ore, most likely. So we should work towards a large stockpile of ore(I'm thinking 200+ here before resuming stonecutting), and defend the mine with our guards. In this way we will be in a better position to defend/reclaim the mine, in the event it gets taken from us/attacked.

And our scouts, finally making progress, should continue searching out the lizardfolk.

Ah Angle, seems we are in agreement. But ..Let us make no hostile moves towards our neighbors to the north. They are highly territorial, we need not attack them if they dont attack us.
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #229 on: June 23, 2011, 12:19:32 pm »

Ah Angle, seems we are in agreement. But ..Let us make no hostile moves towards our neighbors to the north. They are highly territorial, we need not attack them if they dont attack us.

Agreed. Hopefully they'll return the favor.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: June 23, 2011, 01:37:37 pm »

I agree with everything! Lets get that sawmill up! Also we should send through 50 stone and ask for laborers, or even trained woodcutters.. though we will take untrained if that gets us more people.

We should consider possibly double upgrading our sawmill. I see it literally as the rate at which we can expand and upgrade, because the more wood we have the quicker we can upgrade other stuff, if we have a ton of wood, maybe we could even fortify the ore mine with a wall and gate for later on. Just a thought for everyone?

The northerners see that mountain as their territory. They will most likely see our continued mining as a hostile act towards them. I am unsure what we should do next, though we must remember we can easily fashion weapons from wood, such as spears and throwers, and bows and arrows, we can raise a small army if need be. We do not require ore, we can make stone heads and fire hardened tips, we can later upgrade to metal. Also shields are fine being made of wood.

I am very comfortable having the miners cut wood and to build up an army trained in throwing spears and bows. Alas if the others of this council would like to send the guards to protect the miners mining ore then I will not disagree, the homeland did send us here to gather ore for the battle at home, though they have not sent a request for any.

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 23, 2011, 02:28:22 pm »

We should consider possibly double upgrading our sawmill. I see it literally as the rate at which we can expand and upgrade, because the more wood we have the quicker we can upgrade other stuff, if we have a ton of wood, maybe we could even fortify the ore mine with a wall and gate for later on. Just a thought for everyone?
If possible then I agree  :D
Wow, that's actually really friggin' awesome looking.
That is brilliant.
That is hilarious, Ashton. I love it.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Totally not a narcissist.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 23, 2011, 02:40:57 pm »

Safer by far, I think to maintain our presence at the ore mine. If they did not attack this month, lets assume they wont. And a stockpile of ore now, is better than having to lose lives reclaiming the mine later.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 23, 2011, 06:38:06 pm »

I still put up the idea of reenforcing the Mining and Northen pass with Watch Towers.

I also suggest trading STONE for PEOPLE this turn.

While More people = more mouths to feed.
My quick bit of maths...

183/5 = 37 * 2 = 74.
37x1.25 = 46
Therefore
46 Farms and 92 Farmers for the current amout of folk here.

Getting say 20 more folk into the Outpost would mean we increase the needed farms by 5 meaning another 10 farmers. (1.25x) Remember though, if we are finding that with this amount we would be over filling our Grainery we can easily redue the number of Farmers and leave a few Farms to Idle untill the number of mouths increase again...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: June 23, 2011, 06:58:42 pm »

i agree we should get more people and build a grainery to reduce the number of need farmers and such and increase our miners and guards
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 24, 2011, 06:40:06 am »

In time Nevyn. I agree, they'll be a fine addition to what we've done. Watchtowers should come in after the creation of our upgraded windmill. But they're only 50 wood/20 stone, so I can see building at least one, prior to our windmill. But then we run into the thought that we're still doing very poorly for food. A faster windmill is that much more valuable.

Trading stone for people? Acceptable, but I'd want laborers rather than trained woodcutters. We have a group of laborers who will become lumberjacks next month when we build the sawmill. I want these new labors to be ready to take on food related duties (Fishing, or training into farmers).

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 24, 2011, 08:55:02 am »

Good point Terenos. Agreed scratch my idea on woodcutters, lets get ourselves some more labourers! I think we should ask for them immediately this turn. I still stand on my only 50 stone though, we will need an amount to complete our plans, and it would be better if we weren't moving our miners around. The excess may go fish, and in the winter we can have them cut wood.

Also I would not mind a watchtower at the mine after the windmill. And yes I moved the Pier down the list. I
Sawmill -> Windmill  -> HQ(more scouts) -> Watchtower(Mine) -> Wall -> Pier -> Watchtower(Village) -> Fortify Mine(Possible?)

We must discuss the only issue this turn, as everything else is, ere should be agreed on. We need to decide about the miners. I change my vote to keep the miners mining and have the guards guard them, we should keep our presence in the mine as Terenos said. We must be careful not to wander past the mine though.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 24, 2011, 12:02:07 pm »

Also I would not mind a watchtower at the mine after the windmill. And yes I moved the Pier down the list. I
Sawmill -> Windmill  -> HQ(more scouts) -> Watchtower(Mine) -> Wall -> Pier -> Watchtower(Village) -> Fortify Mine(Possible?)
Personally I see this a better pattern...

Sawmill -> Blacksmiths -> Barracks -> Watchtower(Mine) -> Wall -> Windmill  -> HQ(more scouts) -> Pier -> Watchtower(Village) -> Fortify Mine

If we can get some equipment for ourselves and start training men into warriors, we will have less of a worry from the north. They are becoming something to worry about right now...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 27, 2011, 12:23:40 pm »

I'm back!  Update!

Now! We made a grand month in terms of lumber harvesting. I move for the immediate construction of our sawmill as we are 8 wood off having the supplies, and we've been able to build things before if we harvested the goods that turn.

Just so there's an official rule on this, you may "head start" buildings if you have 80% of each material required and you have citizens working on the rest.  (So if something needed 50 stone and 50 wood, as long as you had 40 of each.)  In this case, you have ~90%.

The beginning of summer brings a great new discovery- we have found the home of the lizardmen!  Located off the lake shore behind a safe cove in the marsh, the city of the Alash (as they call themselves) is a collection of wood and thatch buildings.  There is clear evidence of civilization here, as the key buildings have foundations of stone.  Our scouts were welcomed in, and allowed to stay for some time.  During that period, we have become able to communicate well enough to facilitate trade if so desired.  They have some need of stone, but were quite interested in our metal tools.  It appears the area they live in is mineral poor, as most of the metal in this world is located in the mountains to the north and west.

On the subject of the northern mountains, we asked them if the ruined watchtower was theirs, and it is not.  It is instead of a civilization of herders that was driven away by the northern tribe, whom they called the Bartuk.  The remainder of that civilization went far to the east, so it is unlikely we will see them.  The Alash do not venture too far from the lake, so they have had few personal run-ins with the Bartuk, though they indicated they were generally hostile to others.  They were not familiar with the Rak'tar.

Locally, our farmers and hunters struggled to bring in harvests and catches.  The miners did poorly as well.  Our lumberjacks, however, only struggled to bring home all the wood they were collecting.  They collected more than enough to finish the sawmill, which was completed without issue.  Two hunters were trained into farmers, as well.

We sent fifty units of stone home through the portal along with a request for more laborers.  Five laborers came back, but they were led by the King's nephew, Ricko.  A fresh-faced warrior, he reportedly begged his uncle for permission to explore this new world to see what it contains.  He is bold, but inexperienced.  We were tasked to allow him to take command of our scouts, but also to keep him safe.  He will return home at the end of fall.

Will his travels bring greatness or disaster?

Spoiler: Results (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Area Map (click to show/hide)

Yes, you still control the scouts, but Ricko's presence influences the results.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 01:21:50 pm by Toaster »
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 27, 2011, 12:46:05 pm »

Hrm. Not as grand a turn as I had hoped. Our food supplies dwindle, our ore mining did not go as planned. Oh well.
Farmers farm and hunters hunt. I think this goes without saying.
Our laborers all should train to become lumberjacks. Our builders should ready more farms. Our next goal, as I see it, is a greater Windmill. And that is currently 158 wood away (if we build 4 farms this month.) I feel we can manage this by the new year. And it will be a wise move, in order to improve our farming capability without costing us excessive amounts of labor (Im looking at you here Nevyn.)

Two things need discussion in my eyes. The deployment of our miners, and the Kings Nephew.
With the discovery of the Lizardman city we could use more stone for trade. However, as they are interested in our metal tools we could also offer them a small amount of ore. I'd like to see us open trade with the Lizardmen for food. Until we're a little more self sufficient. To this end I suggest we maintain our ore mining. With the guards of course covering the miners.

I believe we should urge the King's Nephew, to lead our scouts to the east. (Sure its forest but beasts should be of little concern, and if we hint that there are hostile people to the north he'll likely want to go scout them.) We should also be exploring the forest more anyways, Perchance to find beasts we can domesticate for labor, food or defense.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 26