Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 26

Author Topic: The Outpost - Dawn of a new colony [Zzzz]  (Read 27881 times)

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Outpost - Dawn of a new colony
« Reply #210 on: June 21, 2011, 09:09:06 am »

Agreed with the better weather the scouts should be fine searching for those lizardmen.
I stand by my last suggestion for this months work orders. Except the scouts go look for those lizardmen.

No more farms. We should avoid building those farms and training farmers, for they are useless in the winter when all the farmers could be instead cutting wood and fishing. We have hunters they will give us the food we lack from farming.
We need to save wood and get that sawmill going asap, the more wood we have the faster we can build our colony up.
With that we upgrade our windmill to reduce the amount of people we need to feed ourselves, so that more may be free to take on other tasks.

Sawmill(tons of woodcutters!) -> Windmill(Upgrade farmers) -> Pier -> Hq(more scouts) -> Wall(add stone? we have abundance?) ->  Watchtower(Two?)

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 21, 2011, 09:13:37 am »

finally people are getting the idea that the lizardmen are important  :D try to get the scouts to ask at that smaller lizardman camp site you found earlier, and also toaster can we get summaries every 12 moths or so? one now would be nice because keeping track of everything is confusing  ::)
Wow, that's actually really friggin' awesome looking.
That is brilliant.
That is hilarious, Ashton. I love it.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Totally not a narcissist.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 21, 2011, 09:23:06 am »

No more farms. We should avoid building those farms and training farmers, for they are useless in the winter when all the farmers could be instead cutting wood and fishing. We have hunters they will give us the food we lack from farming.

You can't be serious.....

Your saying that we shouldn't train more Farmers and build more farms which could GROW MORE FOOD THEN WE NEED DURING WINTER OVER THE NEXT 6-7 MONTHS. And rely on low odds Hunting and Fishing to make up what we need during the 3 months of winter???

Seriously....
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #213 on: June 21, 2011, 11:03:43 am »

We only have 47 food. We really need to focus on building up a stockpile, especially if we're getting immigrants. After we've got a decent food stockpile, then we can start cutting wood for the sawmill.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 21, 2011, 05:19:24 pm »

Fine. I was happy with it. But for agreement, train thy hunter to a farmer and build the earlier suggested farms..

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 22, 2011, 09:28:55 am »

The last turn for the homeland mission was last turn, so that's over.

finally people are getting the idea that the lizardmen are important  :D try to get the scouts to ask at that smaller lizardman camp site you found earlier, and also toaster can we get summaries every 12 moths or so? one now would be nice because keeping track of everything is confusing  ::)

What kind of summaries are you looking for?   Shouldn't be a problem.

At the beginning of the month, the king sent us his thanks: a legion of builders!  They came with their own supplies and build several additions to our base.  They built housing enough for forty, as well as six more farms.  At the end of the month, they left us with thirty additional laborers- a fine addition to our outpost.  It turns out he was very pleased with our results: he was just too busy to respond to us.  The King's advance guard engaged and repelled a strike force of Orcs, largely in thanks to the new equipment we helped provide- there was ore enough to forge them new weapons as well.  This only seemed to anger the Orc clans, though- there will be plenty of bloodshed in the future.

The farms had a good crop this month, bringing in food to spare for our existing population, which a solid hunt enhanced.  A spring rain flooded part of the ore mine, however, wasting many days of miner time.  The builders (and three farmers without a farm) had little luck in chopping wood.  One hunter was retrained to become a farmer.

The scouts managed to get caught in quicksand in the swamp, and only barely escaped with their lives.  Several provisions and tools were lost and had to be remade.

Spoiler: Results (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Area Map (click to show/hide)
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 22, 2011, 11:02:43 am »

A fine reward for our great work. Praise the King and all that jazz.

So heres the breakdown I am suggesting. Miners and laborers and builders all, should be tasked to acquire wood. Why you ask? Because within 2-3 months, with decent rolls we will have the wood for our sawmill.
Our farmers of course should farm and our hunters should hunt.
Scouts keep trying to find the Lizardman city.

I am strongly opposed to any further training of our people into various tasks. We have need of them elsewhere, and it would appear, we're pulling a small surplus of food currently. *This is possibly due to good rolls but still.
We need a sawmill. We will get a sawmill as it is our next goal.
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 22, 2011, 11:54:52 am »

I agree with terenos though we should train 8 laborers to monopolize on those new farms and pull 15 hunters to help with the wood. The farms are more stable then hunting, but we need that wood.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #218 on: June 22, 2011, 12:54:45 pm »

those are good suggestions, but I think we should train 8 hunters, not 8 laborers. we should save the laborers for the sawmill.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 22, 2011, 01:01:39 pm »

I must admit, I'm sort of opposed to any movement of people from a food task to a non food task.  Simply due to our precarious food situation.
Training hunters into farmers is..reasonable, I suppose. but I still do not currently support any training/retraining.
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: June 22, 2011, 01:59:07 pm »

Good point. Let's move the hunters.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 22, 2011, 04:33:52 pm »

Currently we just need 8 more farmers.

On the situation on Farms and Food...
With 30 more mouths to feed the equation now looks like this - 183/5 = 37 * 2 = 74.
This is saying this, 37 Farms manned by 54 Farmers SHOULD be enough to feed everyone. BUT Food still will not come in at steady supplies to account for bad harvests and the Winter time. I MUST Drill into some folks heads HUNTING IS NOT A RELIABLE SOURCE OF FOOD DURING WINTER.
With the current Farms and Farmers, I would like to look into getting 1.25 Farms needed to make the Possible Min for the amount of required food, this Min is the unaffected results. As such we should be looking into getting 47 Farms and 94 Farmers working on them in the future.

On the Situation on Lumber...
We need that sawmill. With the Laborers we are looking at 1 Wood a month with them (Unaffected by Results) So that's 30 Wood with the first harvest. 14 Builders will gather Lumber at a .75 (25% Penalty last I checked) bringing us another 10 lumber or so and finally 20 Miners will bring in Lumber at .75 as well, getting us 15 Lumber. On a normal results we would be looking around 55 Lumber from one harvest.
If we are anywhere near that success, I believe that the next following month just the Laborers would need to Harvest Lumber while the Builders could start getting the sawmill up and the month after that its Training time for getting Lumberjacks (I suggest all 30 of them, then retrain when we get a good amount of wood stockpiled or something).

On the Situation on Stone/Ore...
While it appears that we do not need any of these atm, can we look into seeing if the Homeworld would be willing to TRADE with us for these things. Extra Lumber/Food/ETC would be a good thing to get for them...

On the Situation on the Scouts...
I don't know, looking for the Lizardmen are important but the problem is where would they be, some of you believe that they are in the Swamp to the south, I greatly agree with that, aswell as thinking that they may be an Amphibious like race and able to swim easily across the lake as if it was still land and be located across that. BUT what about pointing them in the direction DUE EAST of the Old Watch tower. And whats that tile with the little trees on the plains tile mean again???

On the Situation on the Tower...
A thought accrued to me, to the North we have a Hostile Faction that has the ability to use Bows and Arrows and set up Ambushes and good use of Strategist when facing a new foe. So far they have proven that they are also brutal. As such I would actually think that they are or WERE at war with the southern tribes in the past and had built the Watch Tower. When it was discovered was there any details on how well it was made, any signs of more civilized tool marks over that of our Stone Age neighbors???

On the Situation of the Northern Tribe...
They can show that they can kill us easily, they know that we are a killable folk, yet they do no make a move towards us, YET. Either one of two things are happening here. 1: They are just saying this. THIS IS OUR LAND, DON'T ENTER. Or 2: They were not ready to make any move onto use, have been watching our actions over the winter and are looking to do something over the course of the warmer seasons. As such, After we have finished the Sawmills. I believe it may be wise to build Watch towers in the area to the north as simple lookouts...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #222 on: June 22, 2011, 04:59:37 pm »

Is fishing more effective/reliable than farming? Or are we perhaps overhunting the area?

Also, has anyone seen My Thread?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 05:01:42 pm by Angle »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: June 22, 2011, 05:08:54 pm »

That seems good Angle.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #224 on: June 22, 2011, 05:13:36 pm »

That seems good Angle.

We should probably keep our comments to the relevant threads. Or most of them, at least. In that topic, is there something we can do to improve the yield of our farms? Upgrading our windmill, for example? It'll have to wait until after the sawmill, of course.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 05:15:23 pm by Angle »

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 26