Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 26

Author Topic: The Outpost - Dawn of a new colony [Zzzz]  (Read 27888 times)

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Outpost - Dawn of a new colony
« Reply #180 on: June 19, 2011, 02:14:59 pm »

Hmm for scouting I think the most important place to find would be the lizardman city, there's a great potential for trade there, maybe re-visit the small group and try to get directions, and I'd like to stay away from the north and hope the people stay where they are - don't want to lose anymore scouts, if worried about security restoring the watch tower might let you keep an eye out better.
Wow, that's actually really friggin' awesome looking.
That is brilliant.
That is hilarious, Ashton. I love it.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Totally not a narcissist.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #181 on: June 19, 2011, 02:33:15 pm »

Also - have we run across any animals we might domesticate? we seem to be in the middle of a whole bunch of nice grazing land. could we maybe do something with the skins of the animal we've been hunting? Make some simple fur coats for our scouts, for example, so they stop freezing. or make some leather armor?

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 19, 2011, 02:35:23 pm »

Also - have we run across any animals we might domesticate? we seem to be in the middle of a whole bunch of nice grazing land. could we maybe do something with the skins of the animal we've been hunting? Make some simple fur coats for our scouts, for example, so they stop freezing. or make some leather armor?
I second you again - completely this time
Wow, that's actually really friggin' awesome looking.
That is brilliant.
That is hilarious, Ashton. I love it.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Totally not a narcissist.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #183 on: June 19, 2011, 03:34:27 pm »

what should we do in the future, do you think? I think we should work on some infrastructure upgrades after we get that sawmill. the fishing pier, certainly. maybe some watchtowers? better roads could be nice. an HQ upgrade? maybe some housing at the mine and quarry? and a wall upgrade, like people were talking about.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 07:04:42 pm by Angle »

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 19, 2011, 08:11:14 pm »

the fur coats would be a smart idea
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #185 on: June 19, 2011, 08:40:38 pm »

that's what I'm thinking. I don't know how easy it'll be, though. we'll probably need to train a tanner, and set up a tannery, and all that stuff. Domesticating some grazing animals would be much easier, if we could only find some.

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 19, 2011, 09:23:51 pm »

I think the only way we can claim the watchtower is by ripping it down and following what is left of the foundations because it is so rotten, our main problem is wood because when we get a lot of it we can build all those shiny buildings you are talking about.
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #187 on: June 19, 2011, 09:35:03 pm »

I think the only way we can claim the watchtower is by ripping it down and following what is left of the foundations because it is so rotten, our main problem is wood because when we get a lot of it we can build all those shiny buildings you are talking about.

that's certainly true.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 09:40:52 pm by Angle »

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 19, 2011, 09:42:12 pm »

We should currently just keep all the workers doing what they are trained to, the builders should go woodcutting or fishing. And send the ore we have through, ask for more laborers and some wood!! As for scouts lets just send em unguided east.
Also I personally believe we have too many hunters (maybe convert them to fishers after?).

Question - Are the farms defended by the wall?
And I love the domestication idea!

Anyways lets keep a kind of list?
Sawmill(tons of woodcutters!) -> Pier (maybe a boat, definitely dedicated fishers) -> wall upgrade (add stone? we have abundance?) -> hq upgrade (more scouts?) -> watchtower. I gather this would be somewhat agreeable and adjustable as time goes?

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #189 on: June 19, 2011, 09:51:48 pm »

Anyways lets keep a kind of list?
Sawmill(tons of woodcutters!) -> Pier (maybe a boat, definitely dedicated fishers) -> wall upgrade (add stone? we have abundance?) -> hq upgrade (more scouts?) -> watchtower. I gather this would be somewhat agreeable and adjustable as time goes?

yeah, that sounds pretty good, although I think we should build the HQ before the wall.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 19, 2011, 10:07:45 pm »

I gotta go to work shortly so no time to do the maths myself. But can someone work out the Minimual amount of Farmers it would need to feed 85% of the pop in on sitting (bad/bonus harvests aside though). Then retrain the Hunters/Miners/Whatevers into getting that needed number...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #191 on: June 19, 2011, 10:17:38 pm »

we don't just need farmers, we need farms as well. and remember, they don't work year round.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 20, 2011, 03:12:29 am »

we don't just need farmers, we need farms as well. and remember, they don't work year round.
Well seeing as no one did so I will after I get out of my gear.
The reasoning behind this is.
3/4 seasons Farmers work. If we make Min Food required by Farmers alone, Hunters can add food to the stocks needed for Extreme or Bad rolls. During Winter we have the Farmers (atm) Fish. If not we can look into different jobs that a Farmer can do during winter. Perhaps Husbandry or something when we get close to something like that...
My main goal/idea is. Farmers and Farms make Min food, Hunters/Fishermen (when they come) make Excess Food. Farming is a 'Constant' food source where only the weather and poor soil quality effects it, while Hunting and Fishing are a lower chance of success being effected by Migration and Over Harvesting. (All Negatives are just bad dice rolls)

RESULTS:: Currently Eating 144 Food a Month (Scouts appear to not eat from the Outpost's Supplies. Must eat during their Travels.)
IF 1 Farm produces 4 Food. To make 144 Food by a Farm alone requires 36 Farms. 36 Farms require 72 Workers.
IF 1 Farmer gives a 25% Bonus to the production of Food, then 2 Farmers give 50% OR 2 Farmers give 31.25% Bonus.
IF 50% then 2 Farmers on One Farm produces 6 Food.
IF 31.25% then 2 Farmers on One Farm produces 5.25 Food.
Therefore.
IF 6 Food then 24 WOULD be enough Farms.
IF 5.25 Food then 28 WOULD be enough Farms.
Therefore.
Training 13 Miners and 7 Hunters would be Wise.
Building 10 More Farms would be Wise due to unfavorable Harvests.

Offer for this TURN...
52 Farmers Farm.
Train 13 Miners -> Farmers.
12 Builders Build 4 Farms.
1/2 Hunters Gather Wood.
1/2 Hunters Hunt.
10 Miners Gather Ore
10 Miners Gather Stone
Scouts Asked to Look for possible Domesticatable Animals in the local Plains.
6/9 Guards Watch over Ore Mine
3/9 Guards Watch over Quarry
Send Message to Homeworld. Request Details of current situation in the Homeworld.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 03:40:22 am by Neyvn »
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #193 on: June 20, 2011, 01:04:49 pm »

That looks pretty good, although I think we should train 13 hunters into farmers, not 13 miners.
also, from what I read, having two farmers on a farm causes that farm to produce 5 food, not 5.25 or 6.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 20, 2011, 01:25:27 pm »

Yes, everyone is welcome to contribute!  Welcome aboard.

Scouts are military units instead of civilian units, so they cannot gather.  If they don't receive orders, it is assumed they patrol some distance from the town to give advance warning of incoming attacks.  You can specifically order them to do nothing, however (for example- several of them are injured- scouts in smaller groups are more likely to die.)

Farmland is outside the wall, though the farmers are smart enough to hightail it inside if they see a threat coming.

One farm requires two workers to work it.  Results by worker type, assuming average return:

Two farmers: 5 food
Two laborers: 4 food
Two others: 3 food

Turn coming up shortly- I let it run a bit longer since you were discussing it so much.  (And I'm lazy like that)

EDIT:  Don't forget the King's message from a couple turns back.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 01:27:47 pm by Toaster »
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 26