Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 26

Author Topic: The Outpost - Dawn of a new colony [Zzzz]  (Read 27890 times)

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Outpost - Dawn of a new colony
« Reply #150 on: June 14, 2011, 10:49:12 pm »

A note, We don't know where the Rak'tar nomads -are-. A few found us, and we found a few that died. Plus, nomads vs a settlement. We can find a settlement easier.
Unless you'd like to send our scouts across a wasteland in the dead of winter, when we cant train more.
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 15, 2011, 04:20:57 am »

What by chance is the prospect of making use of the lake. Who and what could it yield???
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 15, 2011, 08:14:36 am »

Crap, I forgot they were nomads, nevermind.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 16, 2011, 10:10:13 am »

What by chance is the prospect of making use of the lake. Who and what could it yield???

It's certainly not useless.  Come up with some suggestions- I'm all ears.

As winter sets in, we finally complete our first ore mine!  A celebratory message was sent to the King, who sent us a letter of praise in return.  The miners, with help from the farmers, did a good job of collecting ore as they worked around the miners.  The mine appears to be deep and plentiful as well.  Additionally, as they cleared space to construct the mine, several trees were felled that provided a modest amount of wood to help offset the cost of construction.

Our hunters had a good catch this month, bringing in a decent amount of food.  It isn't enough to cover the food needs of the month, but it was a helpful contribution.

Our scouts, again, are unable to make any progress in the swamps.

Spoiler: Results (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Area Map (click to show/hide)

You should probably think about your food stock- you don't have enough for a full month in reserve.  That hunting roll was a pretty good one, as well.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 16, 2011, 05:02:07 pm »

How bout the Farmers try fishing the lake during winter???
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 16, 2011, 05:23:54 pm »

I agree, fishing might help us out. Cant hurt! Furthermore, I believe we've finished our required ore mining, but we should keep mining just in case.
Hunters should of course keep hunting, Farmers try their hand at fishing. Our miners should continue mining ore.
I say winter is a bad time to scout, Perhaps our scouts along with our builders should chop wood. I think the key to our continued survival is a better windmill as that will improve our farms yield. But to reach that 160 wood in any reasonable timeframe, a sawmill is practically required.

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 16, 2011, 06:59:14 pm »

Send the Ore!
Yes, Ice fishing would be a perfect idea. I fully agree with Terenos, miners keep mining, hunters hunt, but I disagree, scouts should look for the lizardmen. Oh and for the ore request food. Combining builders and farmers, half should try their hand at ice fishing, and the other group should collect wood.
The next move should be Sawmill. Though we need to consider building up farms at the start of the season to get the most out of the season. I hope we are sent laborers to max out our housing capacity, obviously only if they bring their own food to get them through winter.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 17, 2011, 11:27:12 am »

In the darkest days of winter, one of the farmers suggests trying fishing the lake to supplement the food supply.  For lack of a better plan, the farmers agree to head to the lake to try it out, as it doesn't freeze in the winter.  As it turns out, the lake has a fairly plentiful supply of fish- this will be a good source of additional food!  The farmers are moderately successful, though they point out that shore fishing is limiting: even a simple dock would allow access to deeper waters.  A fishing ship would be the best option, but facilities would have to be constructed to build those.  One builder comes forward and says he knows how to build a simple canoe- we could build those now with just wood and time.

We sent ahead enough ore to complete the king's request.  Pleased that we completed it early, he pledges to send us many more colonists.  He wants us to be more stable in regards to food first, however.  He sent us supplies for now, and reminds us that he'd take more ore if we have it up until the end of early spring.

In local news, the miners and hunters continue to gather resources for us, and the builders chipped in and gathered wood.  Two scouts were injured attempting to navigate the swamp in search of the lizard people, and will be recovering all next month.

Food is tight, but we should make it until spring.

Spoiler: Results (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Area Map (click to show/hide)

I'm adding Canoe and Fishing Pier to the info post.  The pier will let some fishermen get a higher return on fishing.  Upgrading will let you build fishing ships, as well as allowing more people to get the pier fishing bonus.  Canoes can be built now, which are small 3-man fishing vessels.  Better than pier fishing, not as good as fishing ships.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 17, 2011, 11:39:35 am »

Praise Nevyn, whos timely suggestion may have prevented any problems arising from a lack of food. However currently, we cannot do much in the way of exploiting that lake (But we shall!)

For now, Hunters should continue hunting, Farmers should fish. Miners should mine ore. And our scouts/builders should cut wood.
Lets take no chances, and just work on solid food production till the spring (And ore mining as that is going to earn us major brownie points)

A question, Can we train laborers into fishermen to improve yields? Cause , well..yeah.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 17, 2011, 11:42:22 am »

We could look for pitch and other uncommon substances in the swamp, maybe it's worth a look?
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 17, 2011, 01:04:35 pm »

How about building a single canoe for three of the scouts? They could look for high concentrations of fish and also explore the Lizard men territory, I'd be surprised if their city wasn't close to either a lagoon or the lakeshore. maybe one canoe for each?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 02:44:20 pm by ashton1993 »
Wow, that's actually really friggin' awesome looking.
That is brilliant.
That is hilarious, Ashton. I love it.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Totally not a narcissist.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 17, 2011, 02:41:18 pm »

A question, Can we train laborers into fishermen to improve yields? Cause , well..yeah.

If you build a dock, yes.

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 17, 2011, 02:44:27 pm »

And also how about building a house by the hunting lodge? It would cut travel time (we don't have a road to it remember) for the lumberjacks and hunters and be a great location for a sawmill, food is already abundant there so food shouldn't be an issue, maybe in the future another sub-outpost could be created at the ore-mine but I guess food wood have to be moved from somewhere else so the gain in efficiency would probably cancel out.
Wow, that's actually really friggin' awesome looking.
That is brilliant.
That is hilarious, Ashton. I love it.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Totally not a narcissist.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 17, 2011, 05:01:51 pm »

If I read that right, a Canoe can be built without the need for a Pier right. Lets get one started at the very least...

Also reading the OP on the colonists info, Unguided Scouts are better at finding cool shit then guided scouts. So after this month lets leave them too themselves...

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 17, 2011, 08:47:19 pm »

Agree with Neyvn on the scouts. We should save for a pier, if the farmers tip in the canoe, they would freeze in the winter waters I believe. Though if others think a canoe is worth it then by all means have a few built.

Lets send through all the ore we have, even as it comes, as we understand time is a factor.

If the hunting lodge would gain that much of an improvement from more housing then I guess, but I kinda of dislike that direction, we should save our wood.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 26