Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 26

Author Topic: The Outpost - Dawn of a new colony [Zzzz]  (Read 27893 times)

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Outpost - Dawn of a new colony
« Reply #135 on: June 12, 2011, 02:02:07 am »

We only have the farms for our farmers, Though our laborers should probably join the hunting party.
No need to annex the watchtower. Our road is important, Ore is important. I'm banking on being able to trade some ore, for a bit more food.
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 12, 2011, 03:07:37 am »

Hunting. We need to.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 12, 2011, 05:04:10 pm »

Question for the GM: Is it possible to have one of the laborers attempt to learn Rak'tar culture/language.....I believe better communications with the natives may lead to a more prosperous colony if so, I suggest come winter time we have one of our scouts
 attempt to learn to speak Rak'tar if possible.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 12, 2011, 06:41:05 pm »

Question for the GM: Is it possible to have one of the laborers attempt to learn Rak'tar culture/language.....I believe better communications with the natives may lead to a more prosperous colony if so, I suggest come winter time we have one of our scouts
 attempt to learn to speak Rak'tar if possible.

Yes, it is.  You can just task the scouts to do so or whatever you choose.

Turn sometime soonish or so.  Tonight.  Probably.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 13, 2011, 12:40:54 pm »

Midautumn is a very exciting month, with much good fortune and discovery.

Our scouts continued southeast past the old watchtower.  The grasslands gave way to dense shrubland and marshes next to the lake.  Amid the shrubland, we encountered yet another native people of this world.  Sleek lizard-like folk, these people resemble various reptilian beasts in our homeworld.  They have dull green-brown scales, walk in almost a crouch, but are as tall as us when they stand upright.  They do have short tails, possibly for swimming.  Their heads resemble snake heads, but with a ridge along the top.

They were friendly to us, and appeared to be civilized.  They carried worked tools of stone, and acted as an organized group.  Our scouts could not understand their language (which was much chirping and hisses), but they soon could communicate haltingly with signs and gestures.  They indicated a city (we think) of theirs farther down the lake shore amid the marshes.  From what we could tell, they would be open to visits by outsiders.  Perhaps they could be of use to us.

In local news, farming was a bit lackluster, but hunting was average.  The road to the mine was completed.  A few builders checked the old watchtower to see if it could be repaired, but a large section of wall collapsed as soon as it was examined.  It is of no use to us.

Our miners, while surface mining the site, came across a natural cave that parallels part of the vein!  The mine can be built out of the cave, saving a good chuck of resources and time.

Our homeland sent us a fair amount of food for the winter, as they seemed to remember the closeness last year.  With it, however, they sent a request- they would like 60 units of ore in five months.  They said if we have more than that, they would take it.  The king wishes to outfit his advance guard with new armor, and they lack materials. 

Winter will set in soon.  We need to be prepared.

Spoiler: Results (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Area Map (click to show/hide)
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 13, 2011, 09:54:38 pm »

Right as no one else is paying attention.
We have food issues. This, is serious. Our laborers should train into Hunters. All of them. We will need that bonus to hunting(and the good fortune of the Lady) if we are to survive the winter.
Hunters hunt of course. And farmers farm. Miners grab as much ore as possible.
Builders..I suggest the mine, but..Well, can we? I doubt we have the resources for it. If not, Builders should chop wood.
Scouts should make contact with the lizardfolk. See if they are open to trade (As we need another secure source of food, and if they have stone tools, we can clearly offer them stone in exchange).
Guards cover the miners, as it is of great importance that we protect that mine.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 13, 2011, 10:01:26 pm »

Builders..I suggest the mine, but..Well, can we?

I probably should have mentioned the percentage of the discount- it's 30%.  It'll cost you 35 wood to mine up that one, and you have 22.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 13, 2011, 10:03:48 pm »

Then we need more wood! Man the RNG hates us so far I've gotta say..We're only barely surviving.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 14, 2011, 11:34:09 am »

We could send what ore we have back immediately (18 units?) and ask for some wood informing them that it will be used to make a mine and increase ore mining rates!

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 14, 2011, 04:20:09 pm »

That would be a useful idea there...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 14, 2011, 08:16:11 pm »

The air has a chill in it.  Winter is about to begin.

With the coming winter, a rush to get our food stocks ready begins, with very mixed results.  The rest of the laborers are trained as hunters.  The process goes so well that the practice hunting parties bring in enough food to keep themselves fed for the month!  The regular hunting party, however, comes back completely empty handed- not a single kill all month.  The last harvest of the season is quite a big one, thankfully.

The builders head out to gather wood for finishing the mine.  Their unfamiliarity with the tools results in the accidental death of one of them, and very little progress is made in wood gathering.  The ore miners work at following the vein in the natural cave, and are very successful- making the mine should be quite cheap on resources.

We sent the ore we had collected home as part of the King's request, and requested wood in trade, indicating that the wood would be used for expanding the mine.  In return, they sent us a small shipment of wood.  It isn't much, but they understood our request and did not take offense.

The scouts were dispatched to find the city of the lizard folk we had found, but did not make any progress.

Winter has come- are we ready?

Spoiler: Results (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Area Map (click to show/hide)

The mine is now half price, so 25 wood.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 14, 2011, 08:51:27 pm »

No. no we are not.
So. Hunters should be hunting, Farmers I say should assist the miners, in harvesting ore. The builders should set up the mine. We have 30 more ore to harvest. Scouts should keep trying to find the lizardmen. But not be reckless. Guards should cover the mine.

Am I the only one hoping for crippling losses to our population to stabilize our food issues? Or for a -few- good rolls from hunting?
3 Months of food required, = 432. Current food, 183. Required food = 249
At this rate, Odds we'll get that food? Low. Can we halve rations? I'd support that..

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 14, 2011, 09:18:44 pm »

I haven't been in this yet, hopefully I can contribute.

As I read it that tower that fell down was made of perfectly fine stone. Could we not send the farmers to collect it since it would take no skill, then send it to the homeland and see if they have some food to spare in return, while also reassuring them the ore is coming along nicely? Unless they will be of more use in assisting the miners gather ore.

Agree with Terenos.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 14, 2011, 10:37:50 pm »

Am I the only one hoping for crippling losses to our population to stabilize our food issues? Or for a -few- good rolls from hunting?
3 Months of food required, = 432. Current food, 183. Required food = 249
At this rate, Odds we'll get that food? Low. Can we halve rations? I'd support that..

You had weird rolls this turn- three great ones and two critical failures.

You won't have mass starvation unless you hit zero food and then a terrible hunting roll.  Remember, you always have home for trade/begging.

The tower was mostly wood, and it's all moldy and rotten- sorry.  Good idea, though!

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 14, 2011, 10:42:50 pm »

I syggest that we have half of our scouts attempt to learn the language and culture of the rak'tah(first natives we met) afterwards inquire information about the lizard folk if possible.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 26