Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 26

Author Topic: The Outpost - Dawn of a new colony [Zzzz]  (Read 27868 times)

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
Re: The Outpost - Dawn of a new colony
« Reply #75 on: June 06, 2011, 01:54:16 pm »

Attempt same actions as last turn.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 06, 2011, 03:39:17 pm »

Hunting time! And I told people we needed more food.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 06, 2011, 09:17:49 pm »

Life is returning to the ground- winter is over.  We have survived our first year- most of us, at least.  There was concern about food early on, but the hunting party returned over and over with enough meat to sustain us handily.  The scouts brought back updated maps of the lake shore.

More troubling was the stone quarry.  The collapse last month must have been worse than we thought- there was another rockslide and another miner and farmer were killed.  Much time was spent on stabilizing the quarry to ensure its safety for the future.

At the end of the month, haulers came from the homeland to collect the stone.  In all, they took 125 units of stone- not as much as they had hoped, but more than the minimum needed.  The foreman seemed to be pleased with the results.  Right enough, he returned the next day with our reward- ten more colonists, bringing with them three month's rations.

Before he left, he pulled me aside.  "I'm not sure what you've heard from the king, but let me tell you- the Orc tribes are out for blood.  We don't have the manpower to fight them with numbers- we need better weapons, and for that, we need metal.  I suggest you find a source of ore before the king comes and tells you to do just that."

Words to keep in mind as the new year dawns.

Spoiler: Results (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Area Map (click to show/hide)
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 06, 2011, 09:39:38 pm »

I propose we begin scouting to the NW. Train up 8 more farmers from our laborer caste, set our farmers to farming, miners to mining, 37 remaining Laborers should hunt.
We need to get ourselves a nice stockpile of food before we resume woodcutting activities (And then we need a sawmill, or a hunters guild. I propose hunters guild first)
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 06, 2011, 11:08:27 pm »

Sounds good to me. And yes, hunter's guild.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 06, 2011, 11:11:34 pm »

I don't know, perhaps upgrading the Quarry to make it more stable would be wise, atm its the one thats killing our people. And I agree, Northward scouting...

What if we put a few builders on Restablising the Quarry, and the rest on the Hunters Guild...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 06, 2011, 11:13:42 pm »

We dont have the wood yet, to manage a hunters guild. We could have our builders repair the quarry, make sure its fit. But we really cant act till we have at least one turn of buffer, on our food supply. We may also want to look at expanding to say 30 farms over the next few months.
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 06, 2011, 11:21:00 pm »

What do we need to build to train scouts?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 07, 2011, 09:19:43 am »

All military units will need a blacksmith to train (at least.)  The first level of it will give you guards and scouts.

Despite the coming of spring, we may be on the verge of a food crisis.  The first crops of the year were not as healthy as they should have been, slightly diminishing yield.  The hunters brought back little but bruises and cuts from their hunting trips.  Our stockpile is very low- food is a top priority now.

Reports from the quarry are more encouraging.  Regular digging resumed as our builders worked to stabilize the structure.  They believe that it should be safer to work there now.

The scouts headed to the northwest of our camp.  They mapped a bit more terrain and reported seeing hills in the distance to the north.  Interesting.

Spoiler: Results (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Area Map (click to show/hide)
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 07, 2011, 09:53:56 am »

Have all our farmers and larobers farm, the farms seem to be more consistent in getting food than hunting. Have our miners mine and our gaurds gaurd.
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 07, 2011, 10:18:27 am »

Have all our farmers and larobers farm, the farms seem to be more consistent in getting food than hunting. Have our miners mine and our gaurds gaurd.

You only have enough farms for the farmers.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 07, 2011, 10:57:43 am »

Farming and Hunting need to be a priority obviously.

Scouts should head north to investigate the hills!

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 07, 2011, 11:03:55 am »

We should have enough wood to set up more farms, right?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 07, 2011, 11:31:45 am »

Right now you have enough for 3 more, for 26 total.  With farmers, that would get you on average 130 food a month, 9 months of the year.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 07, 2011, 11:33:55 am »

I say we have the builders build those 3 farms. Better to have them early in the year when they can produce all season long.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 26